Figure 8 awning mounts

Anything non-technical about the Mazda Bongo Friendee van

Moderators: Bongoplod, aitch

Billybongo123
Bongolier

Figure 8 awning mounts

Post by Billybongo123 » Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:10 pm

Hey everyone

Just a quick one, we finally made it out in our Bongo "Billy" and braved a trip to buxton. It was awesome fun and after the stress we have had recently, it was so nice to be able to finally use him for his intended purpose.

Anyway, one thing I found was our drive away awning was great, but hard to attach. If Billy had a figure 8 mounting I could of attached it easily. So my question is how do people modify a Bongo and for a rail etc?

I've seen loads on eBay but wanted to ask people their thoughts. What's the best option you guys?
We love our rusty Bongo "Billy", despite his many faults!
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Re: Figure 8 awning mounts

Post by g8dhe » Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:40 pm

You can mount a fig8 on the gutter itself and then use the Tandor strip to make it driveaway;
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
Billybongo123
Bongolier

Post by Billybongo123 » Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:49 pm

Does the figure 8 strip stay on okay? Can't imagine it holding onto gutter very well?

Do I need that strip if our awning already has the beading bit in it? Ours is an outdoor revolution jobbie?

Thanks for your help.
sotal
Supreme Being

Post by sotal » Sun Apr 08, 2018 12:01 am

The strip allows it to be drive away, without the strip it becomes more difficult to remove without either removing the figure of 8 or unpegging the awning.

My preference is to forget the figure of 8 altogether, if your awning allows for a pile to fit in a sleeve at the end then you will find that that is a much quicker, more secure and easier way to fit the awning. It also gives extra headroom too.

You simply lift the aft up, then the pole slots behind and Infront of the awning hooks and the strut mount. Takes seconds and is so much better. For particularly windy days I use two spring clamps to give extra security.
Billybongo123
Bongolier

Post by Billybongo123 » Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:37 am

Ah I get you, a bit like weaving bambo lol. Is that what those 3 hooks are for above the side door and under the aft? I did wonder?
sotal
Supreme Being

Post by sotal » Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:39 am

Yes, it is so much easier too!

I've got out drive away awning that attaches like that and we've got a sun canopy that attaches like that too.

The only possible downside I can give is that you've got to have the roof up to use it. I guess there might be the odd rare possibility where if we were out for a picnic in the bongo and we wanted the sun canopy up but didn't want to lift the roof then we would be a bit stuck. To be honest though that hasn't happened yet!

We also use a big roof box for the camping season which starts on full of stuff, so it isn't a case of just lifting the roof to put the sun canopy on (which would only take seconds without the roof box) we have to empty the roof box before we can lift the roof. This isn't a problem when camping as the stuff in the roof box is all the stuff we need.
Billybongo123
Bongolier

Post by Billybongo123 » Sun Apr 08, 2018 2:30 pm

Brilliant. I'm pretty sure we will always have the roof up anyway. Would you mind posting a pic up when you get 5 mins?

Thanks everyone for replies
Bongo Brain
Bongonaut

Post by Bongo Brain » Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:53 am

sotal wrote: โ†‘Sun Apr 08, 2018 12:01 am The strip allows it to be drive away, without the strip it becomes more difficult to remove without either removing the figure of 8 or unpegging the awning.

My preference is to forget the figure of 8 altogether, if your awning allows for a pile to fit in a sleeve at the end then you will find that that is a much quicker, more secure and easier way to fit the awning. It also gives extra headroom too.

You simply lift the aft up, then the pole slots behind and Infront of the awning hooks and the strut mount. Takes seconds and is so much better. For particularly windy days I use two spring clamps to give extra security.
Is there a kit available for this? Just wondering whether that would make it quicker & easier for me....
To the OP: I use the figure of 8 strips to attach my awning directly to the gutter on my van, and I must say,
It's a really, really tight fit. It has stayed attached even in heavy winds & rain - it's very effective....

only downside - it's very stiff, and quite challenging to "snap" into place!
So much so, that it's the one part of setting up my awning that I really don't like doing....
along with unclipping it all to detach from the awning. I'm guessing that adding an additional strip of material in there may make this easier and quicker. But do you then leave a figure of 8 strip permanently on the van?

Cheers all
sotal
Supreme Being

Post by sotal » Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:06 am

Our awning came with the pocket sewn into the end and it came with the pole too. The pole is just three sections that join together to make a longer pole.

A lot of universal drive away awnings come with the pocket. If you have the pocket but no pole then I'm sure that would be easy to make up a pole. However if you don't have the pocket it might be harder. I don't know if you can get anything like the kaydor strip with a pocket in it?
Flanners
Bongolier

Post by Flanners » Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:45 pm

Given the decent fit of Fig 8 strips on the gutter of the Bongo I intend to leave mine in situ over the Summer months, it will also stop wear to paint on guttering from frequent removal and fitting (hopefully)
2002 2.0 Aero with Outback Conversion and Roof Top Tent
Bongo Brain
Bongonaut

Post by Bongo Brain » Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:09 pm

Flanners wrote: โ†‘Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:45 pm Given the decent fit of Fig 8 strips on the gutter of the Bongo I intend to leave mine in situ over the Summer months, it will also stop wear to paint on guttering from frequent removal and fitting (hopefully)
I had thought about that myself. As you say, one fear is the Fig 8 strips might lead to wear in the paint
I'd certainly say there shouldn't be any fear of it falling off - it really is a tight fit
Bongo Brain
Bongonaut

Post by Bongo Brain » Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:14 pm

This looked so interesting, I ordered some from a shop on ebay.
It seems to be called a few different names, e.g. Kandor strip Kador Strip - but it does look as though it will be easier & quicker to detach / attach the awning. So I ordered some. As it happens, I ended up with 2 lots of Fig 8 strip anyway...
I bought the awning on-line last summer, and ordered some Fig 8 strips elsewhere - only to find there was already some Fig 8 in the box with the awning! (even though it hadn't been described as among the contents!) Anyhow, sorted

I'll let you know my findings when it arrives.
Can't wait for my 1st Bongo trip of the year :)
Billybongo123
Bongolier

Post by Billybongo123 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:42 pm

I'm back out in a couple weeks, so I can't wait to try these strips.
knpenny
Bongolier

Post by knpenny » Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:37 pm

billy, did you know that a jobbie is a poo in scotland :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Bongology, the study of all things bong. The bongologist. :shock:
Billybongo123
Bongolier

Post by Billybongo123 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:13 am

Paaaaaaahahahaha no way ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚

Return to โ€œBongo Chatโ€