Figure 8 awning mounts

Anything non-technical about the Mazda Bongo Friendee van

Moderators: Bongoplod, aitch

Markas
Bongolier

Re: Figure 8 awning mounts

Post by Markas » Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:44 pm

Flanners wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:45 pm Given the decent fit of Fig 8 strips on the gutter of the Bongo I intend to leave mine in situ over the Summer months, it will also stop wear to paint on guttering from frequent removal and fitting (hopefully)
I've left the fig of 8 strips attached to the roof gutter since the day I got them. I did sikaflex them into place to stop them sliding about and was also able to get silver ones to match the van so they are very unobtrusive - they're also available in white or I suppose you could paint them in the correct colour for your van after using a suitable plastic primer.
Mark
1999 Bongo 2.0L, Northstar Outback rear conversion
Flanners
Bongolier

Post by Flanners » Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:49 am

Just put mine on and cut one of them them down to size, they are a light grey colour so match the Sunlight Silver paint-ish, off out this evening for an overnight wild camp will see how the awning gets on. I am reluctant to glue the Fig 8's on at the moment see how much they move about.
2002 2.0 Aero with Outback Conversion and Roof Top Tent
Billybongo123
Bongolier

Post by Billybongo123 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:53 pm

Flanners wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:49 am Just put mine on and cut one of them them down to size, they are a light grey colour so match the Sunlight Silver paint-ish, off out this evening for an overnight wild camp will see how the awning gets on. I am reluctant to glue the Fig 8's on at the moment see how much they move about.
I tried mine today, they slide a bit so I might have to bond on. Let me know how you get on, have fun. We are off camping tomorrow night at a pub. Ideal. 😂👍
We love our rusty Bongo "Billy", despite his many faults!
Markas
Bongolier

Post by Markas » Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:51 pm

If you experiment with the front and rear fig of 8 strips you can work out where they stop moving around - push the front one forwards so it starts to bend into the n/s screen gutter and the rear one towards the rear of the van until it stops due to the curvature of the gutter. Measure the distance between them - cut the middle strip to this dimension and it will clamp the outer two in place with minimal movement. A dollop of Sikaflex on the joins will keep everything in place if you're extra-picky!!
I've not had any problems with the awning becoming detached or the fig of 8 strips moving since I attached them to the van in this way!
Mark
Bongo Brain
Bongonaut

Post by Bongo Brain » Tue May 29, 2018 5:00 pm

Last weekend, I used the Kador strip in between my van & my awning
I was pleasantly surprised at how easy it was to detach the van from the awning - so I could drive away

I left the set of fig 8 strips on the rain gutter, and it didn't detach while driving around :D
I'd definitely recommend using the Kador strip - although one night it was particularly windy, and the second set of fig 8 strip and Kador strip slid in the high winds a bit too easily. I must think of a way of stopping this. It didn't cause any huge problems, but the shift in position meant that a little bit of rain was blowing in, when the side door of the van was open....

I think some sort of "wedge" would stop any such movement in future.... but it's something to look out for when using the Kador strip in high winds
++ on ease and speed of detaching & re-attaching to the awning though :D
Flanners
Bongolier

Post by Flanners » Tue May 29, 2018 7:14 pm

I have a set of stop ends which as it suggests stops the awning moving in the Fig 8 gutter, work very well, very useful when it is windy. 7 squids and free post or £6.65 with code!

https://www.olproshop.com/collections/c ... -end-stops
2002 2.0 Aero with Outback Conversion and Roof Top Tent
Markas
Bongolier

Post by Markas » Tue May 29, 2018 7:21 pm

Flanners wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 7:14 pm I have a set of stop ends which as it suggests stops the awning moving in the Fig 8 gutter, work very well, very useful when it is windy. 7 squids and free post or £6.65 with code!

Or use a length of kador strip longer than the awning and clamp it in place with pound shop spring clamps!
**edit** Holy-moly! They're not that big - only about 3 inches long :o
Mark
Bongo Brain
Bongonaut

Post by Bongo Brain » Thu May 31, 2018 8:43 am

Flanners wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 7:14 pm I have a set of stop ends which as it suggests stops the awning moving in the Fig 8 gutter, work very well, very useful when it is windy. 7 squids and free post or £6.65 with code!

That's great - thanks for letting us know Flanners :D
Bongo Brain
Bongonaut

Post by Bongo Brain » Thu May 31, 2018 8:44 am

Markas wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 7:21 pm

Or use a length of kador strip longer than the awning and clamp it in place with pound shop spring clamps!
**edit** Holy-moly! They're not that big - only about 3 inches long :o
Another interesting solution - thanks for posting this too :D

Return to “Bongo Chat”