help with awning fixing to Bongo?

Anything non-technical about the Mazda Bongo Friendee van

Moderators: Bongoplod, aitch

Roots81
Apprentice Bongonaut

help with awning fixing to Bongo?

Post by Roots81 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:10 pm

hello all, we are newbies to our Bongo so thanks to all on the site for great info before we purchased, very helpful! We had our inaugural trip and sleep in our Bongo this weekend, a cold, blowy but bright Lake District, We erected our Kyham 360 quick erect awning (and it was quick erect, we were very pleased with ourselves), but then could not get it to attach to the gutter on the van! We used the figure of 8 strips it came with but the gutter on the van seemed quite shallow and it would not fix/ "clip' on properly! In the end , we used the awning as a stand alone, in its driveway form (and it did stand alone, even with high winds so that is good...). I think the awning was an okay distance from the van, - i.e. we could get the figure of 8 strips onto the gutter / " rail" but not push it down properly or make it stay! Does any one have advice as to another way of fixing on this awning? Any advice gratefully received!
Also, we were thinking that for days out and one night stays we might also invest in a simpler sun canopy? I have seen this one:

http://www.the-bus-shelter.com/

Does anyone have any advice about this or suggestions as to a good simple sun shelter/ canopy? This bus shelter one offers a figure of 8 fixing or a pole and clamp fixing but you have to order the right one..I am thinking pole and clamp given our experience with the figure of 8 and the awning, but again, does anyone have any advice or experience of this?
Thanks to all.
Roots81
Roots81
Apprentice Bongonaut

Re: help with awning fixing to Bongo?

Post by Roots81 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:14 pm

forgot to say, our Bongo is 2005, "new" shape I think?
Thanks
Roots81
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:31 pm

No expert on this myself, but I have noticed that there seems to be two methods used;
One is to lay the fig8 along the edge of the gutter and press it down onto the lip and then "rotate" the entire length to get it to grip on the bottom of the gutter itself rather than the lip.
The other method is to slide it onto the gutter from the rear in the final position it will be on the gutter itself.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
Roots81
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Roots81 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:55 am

Thanks, will give this a go. I have heard about people keeping the figure of 8 permanently on the gutter...and then you feed through the fixing strip on the awning? not sure how you would do this though? but will give it a go! Thanks for the response!
tootsmcfruits
Bongonaut

Post by tootsmcfruits » Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:47 am

Roots81 wrote: Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:55 am Thanks, will give this a go. I have heard about people keeping the figure of 8 permanently on the gutter...and then you feed through the fixing strip on the awning? not sure how you would do this though? but will give it a go! Thanks for the response!
I have a figure of 8 fixed permanently on the side of the van - used my awning for the first time this weekend which was ace for the extra space so will be using it a lot more! I believe you need a figure of 8 attached to the van and then another figure of 8 attached to the awning with the Kador (?) strip in between to make it drive-away-able otherwise it would be difficult to get the awning off the van.

Like this picture:
https://www.a2zcamping.co.uk/heights-up ... ndard.html
#sayhellotomylittlefriendee
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:51 am

Yes if you want to leave it on permanently you need the Kador strip to connect the two parts
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
Flanners
Bongolier

Post by Flanners » Tue Apr 03, 2018 6:30 pm

Good post. Just bought the Kyham Sun canopy and have an Outdoor Revn awning both unused as yet (don't fancy a wet muddy cold field and there has been no sun) and realised I need another 3m of Fig of 8 to go with the fitting kit.
2002 2.0 Aero with Outback Conversion and Roof Top Tent

Return to “Bongo Chat”