Rear seat safety

Anything non-technical about the Mazda Bongo Friendee van

Moderators: Bongoplod, aitch

nettie66
Apprentice Bongonaut

Rear seat safety

Post by nettie66 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:34 pm

Hi, I'm a prospective Bongo camper van owner and just wanting information about rear seats. We are wanting 'proper' rear seats with seat belts so that our teenage son can travel safely in the back. From the vehicles I've looked at on-line it seems that some do have and some don't. Should I only be looking at models after a certain date or is it not as straightforward as that? I've read information that suggests if belts aren't fitted then it's not safe to fit them? Any information would be welcome. Thanks
Bob
Supreme Being

Re: Rear seat safety

Post by Bob » Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:51 pm

Hi, welcome to BF. 8)

The type of rear seat will not be age dependent as the camper conversion will not be done by Mazda but one of the conversion companies or a keen owner.

With the Bongoing season just starting I'd try and get along to some Meets and chat to owners and look at various options.

Hope that helps a little, and others will doubtless have some thoughts. :)
nettie66
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by nettie66 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:51 pm

Hi thanks for the tip, seems a good idea.
Flanners
Bongolier

Post by Flanners » Fri Mar 30, 2018 7:44 am

If the original seats and belts are used there should be no problems. The issues may arise where a Rock n Roll type bed has been fitted, there are many manufacturer's of these with varying standards of safety. Some appear to have been welded up in a garden shed and sold others appear to have some basic testing, link below may help as it describes the beds and legislation around the subject:

http://www.camperliners.co.uk/rock-n-ro ... g-systems/
2002 2.0 Aero with Outback Conversion and Roof Top Tent
sotal
Supreme Being

Post by sotal » Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:11 am

I wouldn't use a rock and roll bed, they simply aren't safe for travel. They haven't been crash tested.

It was our main concern when looking. We ended up going for the mid conversion. This gives a kitchen opposite the sliding door. It retains am original bench seat with proper seat belts at the rear. Downsides to this are limited leg room on the drivers side rear seat. Also you have a very small boot and lots of space in the middle. That is great for camping but a little odd for grocery shopping etc.

Another option is a rear conversion but then the middle row of seats gets in the way a bit. You can buy a modified bench seat that swivels around so it becomes rear facing. This means you can travel forward facing then soon it round to make it into a camping unit. Again this hasn't been crash tested though. I personally would feel happier with one of those than a rock and roll seat.

In terms of differences between ages of bongo. The older ones had a fixed bench in the middle and flip up seats in the rear which flipped up to the sides. The later ones had two fixed bench seats.

Return to “Bongo Chat”