Enough Room?

Anything non-technical about the Mazda Bongo Friendee van

Moderators: Bongoplod, aitch

Stephen12
Junior Bongonaut

Enough Room?

Post by Stephen12 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:11 pm

Hi guys

I'm new here and have had many well spent hours looking through all the great information that is available here.

I've been looking at getting a camper for a while and really like the look of the bongo and think it would be an ideal first camper.
The one I've seen online is a side conversion which I think I would prefer. Problem is I've never actually been inside a bongo as there is none for sale close to me so I'd need to travel to go and see the one I have found and like. So what I need to know is about the space inside the back with the conversation? Is there enough room inside for two people comfortably and also is there enough room for two people to sleep on the rock and roll bed comfortably? It's just for me and my girlfriend but we want to be comfortable and have weekends away when we can.

Thanks in advance for your help.
TheLongRoad
Bongolier

Re: Enough Room?

Post by TheLongRoad » Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:31 pm

Hi, they are probably best decribed as very cosy :D You need to see for youself really. Where are you based?
2002 Friendee 2.0 ltr Petrol.
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:38 pm

Agree with TLR, ere are lots of Meets coming up now, best it you can get along to one or two, but someone near you may offer a viewing.

Good to have you aboard. :)
JoeC
Bongolier

Post by JoeC » Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:21 pm

I have a JAL side conversion van with the wider bed - more bed space but less storage.
BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Post by BongoBongo123 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:49 pm

It depends on conversion type and utility unit specifics. We have a narrow side conversion and 2 people is a little tight on the existing seats in flat mode. So I sleep in the AFT roof top as a rule, definitely possible on the seats but turning over is a bit tricky if you do it at the same time. They always feel a little cramped but we tend not to travel exacty "light" and take lots of stuff with us away. I can barely see out of the back window when we go away from kit (tent/Gazebo, bags galore, food/drink, all weather clothes etc.), So we have our "systems" of where rubbish is kept, water bottles, washing stuff, clothes, wine =P~ . Try and keep organized chaos and make best use of space. :lol:

They drive nicely and get through narrow width restrictions in beauty spots, plenty of engine power. These are the trade offs for feeling a bit tighter inside than a VW, depending on what VW. For the right money on the right Bongo you won't get better IMO.

You can stand with the inner roof flat opened into the roof but it is a bit clumsy moving around inside once doors are shut up for the night. They do the job.
Stephen12
Junior Bongonaut

Post by Stephen12 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:17 pm

Hi guys

Thanks for all your responses, it's really helped :)

I get the feeling it's going to be a bit tight at night but it's only the two of us so I guess I can go in the roof if needs be. I just walk to work but I'll be using the vehicle as my car when I need it so I reckon that's why the bongo is the most appealing.

I'm only going to be using the bongo as a camper on the weekends for a night or two so I'm thinking that's why it's the best vehicle for the job. Any other advice is welcome :D

Thanks
Stephen
Stephen12
Junior Bongonaut

Post by Stephen12 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:29 pm

Oh and I was speaking with the owner and the size of the rock and roll bed when flat is 1000 x 1750mm

Is that a roughly standard size or not?
Flanners
Bongolier

Post by Flanners » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:30 pm

I'm biased with bed sizes I have a full width bed with the seats configured in a rear conversion tin-top, there are many variations of conversion with pros and cons for each. You need to decide what works best for you, for instance I saw no real advantage for having a pop up roof. What I did want was a decent bed and the one you allude to at 100cm wide is 9cm bigger than a standard width single bed....which to me would be intolerable for a night let alone several for two adults. Good thing is there are loads of ways that your needs and wants can be catered for. Some favour aesthetics over function, with the Bongo it is all a bit of a compromise but that is what makes it even more appealing.

I see the Bongo (without the drive-away awning attached) as motorised 'wild camping' minimal carried equipment and baggage enabling me to hike, walk, cycle and sight see in new areas and being able to sit, eat, read, listen to music and crash out in privacy and relative anonymity almost wherever I chose-ish; which is why I purchased one. Mine has been mostly used as a day van so far. Will dabble with more overnights when it is warmer and off to France for 2 weeks in the Summer.
Last edited by Flanners on Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2002 2.0 Aero with Outback Conversion and Roof Top Tent
Stephen12
Junior Bongonaut

Post by Stephen12 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:47 pm

Hi there

Thanks for the reply.

I'm probably going to be using the bongo for similar situations as you, as a day van but with the occasional nights away. I'm more than happy to sleep up in the roof if needs be so I guess the bottom bed width isn't too big of an issue.
Because I will be using the vehicle for driving about occasionally during the week I think the bongo is a good option as it's not too big.
Flanners
Bongolier

Post by Flanners » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:49 pm

Definitely, I have had and do have cars and sports bikes etc but this is the best vehicle I have owned it is so much value added for the enjoyment of life for relatively little outlay. Go for it!
2002 2.0 Aero with Outback Conversion and Roof Top Tent
Stephen12
Junior Bongonaut

Post by Stephen12 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:52 pm

Sounds like a great all round vehicle.
Enjoy your trip to France in the summer :D
BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Post by BongoBongo123 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:13 am

As far as further advice this could be worth a look...

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=74431&p=699016#p699016

And when buying to look for rust around rear arches where it seems most prominent on Bongo's.

AFT Roof is totally fine in summer and a lot of fun (and can be too hot in the day when sun is out..but it has plenty of zips/inner tent can be unzipped and have just the mozzy mesh screens for air flow/which are also zippable..AFT the roof design is totally excellent), comfortable up there are 13-15C which is average summer night temps. Can get a bit chilly in Autumn. You just increase the "qulitage" / sleeping bags, more bedding keeps you ok and a fleece blanket over your face. I have been up there in 7C and it works ok still but just put lots of bedding up there.

They are very fun to be in and drive and cosy inside. You do need to keep a bit of an eye on mechanics/rust patches and regularly maintain if you do not want them deteriorating. Worth learning a few basics to keep the value up.
teenmal
Supreme Being

Post by teenmal » Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:23 am

Look for RUST EVERWHERE, if you are not sure how to check a vehicle Take an Experience person with you, it could save you Grief and Money .If you get it wrong you will be joining the Money Pit Club, and the membership is rather Expensive.

Take Care.
Stephen12
Junior Bongonaut

Post by Stephen12 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:40 pm

Hi there

Okay that's great, thanks for all the advice. The roof seems like it will be perfect for me :D

I'm going to look at one on the weekend and the owner seems very knowledgeable and has looked after it, hopefully this turns out to be the case.

I'll check all the usual places for rust but I guess I have to remember these are old vehicles.
satinaali61
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by satinaali61 » Tue May 08, 2018 3:02 pm

Flanners wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:30 pm I'm biased with bed sizes I have a full width bed with the seats configured in a rear conversion tin-top, there are many variations of conversion with pros and cons for each. You need to decide what works best for you, for instance I saw no real advantage for having a pop up roof. What I did want was a decent bed and the one you allude to at 100cm wide is 9cm bigger than a standard width single bed....which to me would be intolerable for a night let alone several for two adults Mutuelles senior. Good thing is there are loads of ways that your needs and wants can be catered for. Some favour aesthetics over function, with the Bongo it is all a bit of a compromise but that is what makes it even more appealing.

I see the Bongo (without the drive-away awning attached) as motorised 'wild camping' minimal carried equipment and baggage enabling me to hike, walk, cycle and sight see in new areas and being able to sit, eat, read, listen to music and crash out in privacy and relative anonymity almost wherever I chose-ish; which is why I purchased one. Mine has been mostly used as a day van so far. Will dabble with more overnights when it is warmer and off to France for 2 weeks in the Summer.
I completely agree with you. Because aesthetics always resides in complex things. In any case, thank you for giving your opinion on the thing.

Return to “Bongo Chat”