Maintenance routine

Anything non-technical about the Mazda Bongo Friendee van

Moderators: Bongoplod, aitch

trianglegirl
Apprentice Bongonaut

Maintenance routine

Post by trianglegirl » Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:28 pm

Hi all,
I'll be picking up my first Bongo this month - hooray! It's in lovely condition at the moment and I'm keen to keep it that way.

I'm putting together a preventative maintenance checklist to review every couple of months. What sort of things would you recommend adding?
  • Tyre pressures
  • Visual inspect for rust (wheel arches)
  • Fluid levels (coolant, oil, windscreen
  • Test batteries (car and leisure)
And what about longer term maintenance?
My Bongo was recently wax oiled but I've heard it's worth topping up ever couple of years.

Does anyone have any routine checks they carry out? Particularly interested in Bongo specifics.
I'm comfortable servicing my road bikes, but Bongos are a whole new adventure for me!
Cheers!
Penny - 2000 Petrol AFT Rear conversion
BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Re: Maintenance routine

Post by BongoBongo123 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:49 pm

Hi and welcome/congratulations on the Bongo purchase.

There may be a few diesel/petrol specifics to look out for. Most below apply to both fuel variants. (I have a diesel)

Check the transmission fluid every now and then.

Check and replace the air filter regularly. (You can just turn them the first time you see them looking
a bit sooty) but probably replace once a year nominally.

Change diesel fuel filter every 2-3 years depending on mileage.

Fit a low coolant alarm and a temperature sensing alarm (I use just the temp alarm). If you were not aware aging Bongo coolant systems are prone to leaks, small and large. One must be aware of high engine temperatures ASAP with a coolant system fault. (the dash temperature meter is useless and by the time you see there is a problem there will likely be engine damage) Haydn alarms is the place to go for those. They cost a bit but it is pretty much nigh on essential to have at least 1 fitted for any Bongo. It is about £2K to replace a cracked head and have associated problem parts replaced. So worth every penny.

The diesel needs its offical oil change at every 6 months or 6K miles. People tend to have different opinions on this given the improvements in oil quality since the 15-20 years since Bongos were made. Recently I left mine 12 months but only di approx 4K miles. I plan every 9 months to do oil now just to be safe. You can do the oil filter every 12K miles. But I now plan every 9 months when I do my oil. (Did mine today in fact)

Check your drain hole under the windscreen every few months especially in winter they tend to block up and then water pours down into the fuse box in the front area. So check it regularly and clear detritus out of that little gutter/the drain hole.

If you have an auto free top remember to raise the roof around once a month to keep it lubricated/functioning (especially in winter when you tend not to use the Bongo as much) . They can have a habit of seixing up if you get unlucky so raising them up once a month seems on balance to be worthwhile. Sometimes you have to de-mould the tent in the roof if you have an auto free top post winter. (I like others fling some Silica Gel bags up there in the winter, seem to help a lot)

In winter periodically drive the Bongo and on decent 20mile + runs, once every couple of weeks at minimum to heat everything up, dispell moisture and keep things moving. Also run the air con to keep the lubricant in the system flowing round, that keeps the seals in good shape. They can dry out and crack and running the aircon for a hwile eveyr now and then in winter is good.

That is what I can think of for now...be safe and have fun :) .

(I personally like to use a fuel additive, as do some others here.. Millers Diesel Eco power max works nicely in my Bongo, you can look into this - they have a petrol version as well, it helps keep engine insides clean/injectors/fuel lines/lubricates some areas etc. I also once in a while like to use a BG product either BG44k or BG244, but this can be every 2-3 years or so. This bracketted section is purely optional and the above is most important.)
BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Post by BongoBongo123 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:09 pm

It might be worth checking when Cam Belt was last changed if applicable. Not quite sure of the offical interval for that but bear it in mind.
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:34 pm

Pretty sure cam belt is either 5 years or 60,000 miles, whichever is first. :wink:
teenmal
Supreme Being

Post by teenmal » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:53 pm

If you are buying from a dealer make sure they have changed the Cam Belt (or can prove that it has been changed recently), more so if it is a V6.

Take care.
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:33 pm

Good point. :)

The diesel isn't all the world, the V6 is quite expensive, and it's recommended to replace cam seals and some other bits while the front of the big petrol engine is appart.
BigPanzer
Tribal Elder

Post by BigPanzer » Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:44 pm

Hi,

Some cracking info there from BB123, one thing I would like to add:

Assuming your Bongo has an AFT, keep the eyebrow vent (top front of the canvas) open permanantly and keep the small roof hatch open. This will disperse any condensation in the AFT and helps to keep mould at bay.

Peter
BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Post by BongoBongo123 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:04 pm

Thanks for that tip. I never knew what to do for the best with the zips up there when in over winter mode.
But air circulation makes sense as long as no damp gets through the roof seal.
trianglegirl
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by trianglegirl » Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:50 pm

Thank you all so much for your replies. I've made lots of notes! :D
Penny - 2000 Petrol AFT Rear conversion

Return to “Bongo Chat”