Thinking of buying a Bongo

Anything non-technical about the Mazda Bongo Friendee van

Moderators: Bongoplod, aitch

glennbtn
Apprentice Bongonaut

Thinking of buying a Bongo

Post by glennbtn » Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:47 pm

Hi All

So looking at getting a Bongo camper with poptop from a conversion company. Probably looking at a 2.0L petrol but after some advise

what sort of mpg can I expect
What are the insurance costs like for someone nearly 50
what sort of payload is available for passenger, luggage, food etc.

Just trying to get an idea as they look better value than some T5. If Diesel is a better option then please chip in as I only have info from someone with a petrol saying they are better

Thanks
Bob
Supreme Being

Re: Thinking of buying a Bongo

Post by Bob » Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:00 pm

Diesel is better if you want to tow, 2 ltr petrol is a simpler engine and you will be able to get a late model one. V6 Petrol is very smooth and poweful, if a bit thirsty (think 20mpg) and work on the front of the engine can be £££.

MPG likely about 30 or slightly less, depending how it's driven.

Obviously I can't provide a quote, but insurance is reasonable, especially for a converted one.

Payload question already answered on other thread. :wink:
alant54
Tribal Elder

Post by alant54 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:21 pm

WARNING.....if you buy a bongo you will immediately fall hopelessly in love with this fantastic vehicle.... :wink:

As a Bongo owner for 14 years I may be a bit biased but I am on my second Bongo now.

I would recommend that you spend some time going through the topics and posts on this forum to understand what us owners think about our Bongos.... =D>

If you buy form a reputable converter then you should get a Quality vehicle in good condition.

Good luck with your venture and a very warm welcome to this forum.... =D>

Alan
Alan...still plodding on....!
Flanners
Bongolier

Post by Flanners » Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:30 pm

I purchased privately via this very site and I bought a superb 2002 with 40K miles on it for £3.5K-£4K less than they are marked up by dealer's. When I first looked at getting one a few years ago I was surprised at the keen pricing (for good one's) sure there are some cheap total snotters for peanuts out there, that are money pits mechanically but more so bodywork/'chassis'-wise. I would not personally buy from the trade for any 'older' vehicle.

As with all vehicle purchases usual examination of vehicle, test drive, chat/assessment of owner, vehicle history etc. Most important to me is always the 'feel' I get from chatting with the seller, when I spoke with my Bongo's ex owner he was gutted to sell but needed a bigger van etc, the wife and kids were upset etc; copies of Japanese Auction Docs were available, invoice from suppler and conversion etc. MoT's since importation had not a single advisory.....I have been very happy since especially once I adjusted the TPS and sorted the autobox change out :D.

Bought the first one I went to see (I usually do with bikes and cars), did not want to travel further than 40m to view; from research, a phone call and other checks means 99% of crap can be filtered out.

The Bongo is an ace utilitarian and fun vehicle, with many compromises and bonuses (part of the fun of ownership), but don't buy it expecting frugal mpg figures it is not going to happen, my insurance registered as a Camper is circa £220 fully comp. The 2.0L is fairly slow (especially on steep inclines) but who cares it cruises nicely at 60mph and returns around 28-31mpg. T5's and 6's yes very nice indeed but only you can decide if they are worth the £000's more for not really (or actually) 'much' more.

When the owner waves you off in a melancholic fashion you know you have a nice one; when they smirk and make a run and shut their front door as you are about to drive off start to worry :mrgreen: Wish I had indulged years ago. Even a walk in the country with my daughter followed by hot choc and cake in the van is a great day out.
2002 2.0 Aero with Outback Conversion and Roof Top Tent
teenmal
Supreme Being

Post by teenmal » Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:24 am

Buying a Diesel is not advisable , it will soon get to a point where they wont be able to give them away.

Take care.
Jillygumbo
Supreme Being

Post by Jillygumbo » Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:04 am

teenmal wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:24 am Buying a Diesel is not advisable , it will soon get to a point where they wont be able to give them away.

Take care.
I would! Hope I'll get one for a really good price then!

Diesel 4WD was a must when I bought my last one. I visit so many muddy festivals!!! It's always the 4WD ones pulling the 2WD ones out of the mud!
Jillygumbo, Tonto & Ruca
The night conceals the world, but reveals the universe!
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:43 pm

teenmal wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:24 am Buying a Diesel is not advisable , it will soon get to a point where they wont be able to give them away.

Take care.
OK, so you mean like most ordinary cars after rather less than 20yrs old then, plus their bills will quite likely have amounted to more and they'll have been a lot less useful or fun. And, as Jilly flags up, if you need 4wd its a one horse race.

I'd hate to be the owner of £60ks worth of diesel T5 California right now :?

On a serious note, I hope the world will cease its hysteria and start thinking rationally about where the (excellent concept and very useful) diesel engine will or will note present a disproportionate risk to health.

Return to “Bongo Chat”