Customs Charges and Import Duty

Anything non-technical about the Mazda Bongo Friendee van

Moderators: Bongoplod, aitch

Ian
Supreme Being

Customs Charges and Import Duty

Post by Ian » Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:27 pm

Here's a cautionary tale; let's hope it doesn't become a common occurrence once it applies to imports from the EU. [-X

On behalf of some members on 6 November I ordered from suppliers in Japan a number of items total price of £649.74. The order was dispatched by JapanPost on 16 November. Tracking showed it was held in customs at Coventry airport on 20 November, then released to local Parcelforce depot on 23 November.

So far, all as expected. It is standard practice for Parcelforce to send an invoice at this stage with total amount of customs charges payable, including VAT and inspection fee. Normally on an order of this size I would expect to pay about £10 for a release fee, £15 for customs charges, and about £60 VAT (which I can claim back). But nothing arrived in the post so I phoned them today. Here's what happened next.

I phoned the local Parcelforce depot and was put on hold for 10 minutes. I was then told that there was a release fee of £166.49. I told them this seemed a bit excessive and could I have a breakdown. I also enquired why I had not received an invoice in the post. So they transferred me to someone in their finance department who said they were unable to give a detailed breakdown as their system was down. So I said that I would pay the release fee anyway, so they transferred me back to the Rotherham depot. Rotherham then said they were unable to process payments without the 17 digit reference number at the top of the invoice (which I didn't have and he couldn't disclose over the phone). So I was then put on hold while I waited for a supervisor. After about 5 minutes the music stopped playing and an operator informed me that I was through to "Customer Services". I said I needed to make a payment but I didn't have the 17 digit number. She said this wasn't a problem; did I have the Japanese tracking number? I read it out to her, and she gave me the long number and told me I could now make payment via the Parcelforce website.

Are you still with me?

I tried entering the number but it said the 17 digits were not recognised and I should contact my local depot. So I phoned Parcelforce at Rotherham once again, went through the whole process, and this time was told they were unable to take payments over the phone at the moment but somebody would phone me back. 15 minutes later a nice lady phoned we back and payment was taken. When I asked for a cost breakdown I was told it would be enclosed with the parcel.

Total time to process this transaction; 55 minutes.
668. The Neighbour of The Beast.
Bob
Supreme Being

Re: Customs Charges and Import Duty

Post by Bob » Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:45 pm

That explains it.

You've taken up 55 minutes of their time, plainly they need to be paid for it. :lol:
cutlass
Bongolier

Post by cutlass » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:49 am

I think it problem of russian post too :( https://ok.ru/video/35074673349?fromTime=2
Ian
Supreme Being

Post by Ian » Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:07 pm

Here's the breakdown of costs:

Customs Charges = £19.73
Clearance Fee = £11.25
Import VAT = £135.31

It took 3 working days from Japan to Coventry and 12 working days from Coventry to Sheffield.

So that's alright then........ :evil:
668. The Neighbour of The Beast.
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:22 pm

Hopeless. :roll:
Katka
Bongolier

Post by Katka » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:02 pm

I had to return an SD card to Sandisk under warranty recently. After explaining the problem they asked for the card to be sent to their EU base in Czech for testing before a new card was sent out. Eventually they agreed to supply a new one and a UPS tracking code supplied. I was surprised that it left the US not Czech but more amused as it went to Mexico, Chile, Argentina and finally to Uruguay where they discovered Guildford isn't. OK so we may be leaving EU, but I didn't think we were heading to South America, although some may think it appropriate........
New card has just left Czech and awaited
mikexgough
Supreme Being

Post by mikexgough » Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:45 pm

I had some Seals I ordered from PSS in Slovakia..... first order 3 days... and 4 more after....then.... nothing nada.... I ordered...then Irena said she'd sent them.... tracking said left Slovakia in the day and then nothing.... so with the thinking these were in suspended animation somewhere, I ordered another batch and 3 days and they were delivered....then the lost batch arrived.... they took 29 days to get from Heathrow....to Cambridgeshire... :cry: :roll:
Conversant with Bongo Top Pinion Oil Seals

Bongo owning Velotech Cycle Mechanic
Jillygumbo
Supreme Being

Post by Jillygumbo » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:03 pm

Doesn't bode well does it - and we haven't left yet! Buy British?
Jillygumbo, Tonto & Ruca
The night conceals the world, but reveals the universe!

Return to “Bongo Chat”