Bongoing Wrong

Anything non-technical about the Mazda Bongo Friendee van

Moderators: Bongoplod, aitch

El Ferrito
Apprentice Bongonaut

Bongoing Wrong

Post by El Ferrito » Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:06 pm

Firstly, hello to all the Bongo Fury Members,

I am very new to the Bongo scene as my wife and I only purchased our first Bongo this summer and it has spent the majority of the time in the garage since then. Unfortunately for us, the 'minor' advisory for an oil leak on the MOT turned out to be about a grands worth of work.

So, having got over this initial hump, taken our Bongo back home and begun looking forward to a Wiltshire winter of testing our cold weather endurance, we were extremely pleased when a kind individual crunched into the front of the Bongo, smashing a headlight and bending and bruising a few bits of bodywork in the process. We were even more delighted that they failed entirely to leave any details.

I do wish them a very Merry Christmas indeed...

So... being a newbie... I wondered what the best way of getting hold of a new front right (driver's) side grill panel bit (no idea of the technical name, but it looks like part 52-81xa on the diagrams available through this website). http://lushprojects.com/bongopartsmk2/c ... no=.html#5

I also need a new Headlight cover (the bulb appears to still work) and most joyously, and the main reason for coming here, it appears the impact has shunted the right wing panel backwards enough to prevent the driver side door from opening. So my main question is how likely I will be able to get it bent back into place rather than replacing it...

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1VDl2y0 ... sp=sharing

That should link to an image of the Bongo in question.

Any help much appreciated, be easy on me though, I am not exactly a mechanic...

Thanks,

El Ferrito
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Re: Bongoing Wrong

Post by Northern Bongolow » Fri Nov 24, 2017 2:47 pm

all parts are available for this either from mazda garages (main dealer) or somewhere like this place secondhand. http://www.bongospares.co.uk/.

the good news is that the front panel/ bumper/wing/ headlight/grill all bolt off and are not welded in place, this makes removal and repair a diy job without the need for special tools.
the front wing usually moves backwards in a front end bump as its a folded type bolt mounting to the door hinge mounting point, this can usually be removed and bent back to the original position to allow the door to be used until a repair is done properly.
check the end of the chassis leg where the front bumper mounts as this can also be pushed backwards or at least bent at the end where the bumper mounts.
TheLongRoad
Bongolier

Post by TheLongRoad » Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:44 pm

Welcome to Bongo Fury. I’m new here too and have recently purchased a Bongo but not taken delivery yet. I feel for you having your new toy bashed and the pond life just driving off. Grrr.

Hope you get the old girl fixed up and back into top condition with minimal cost. You’ll find lots of help and information on the forum - I know I have in the short while I’ve been here.
2002 Friendee 2.0 ltr Petrol.
Markas
Bongolier

Post by Markas » Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:20 am

Northern Bongolow wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2017 2:47 pm all parts are available for this either from mazda garages (main dealer) or somewhere like this place secondhand. http://www.bongospares.co.uk/.

the good news is that the front panel/ bumper/wing/ headlight/grill all bolt off and are not welded in place, this makes removal and repair a diy job without the need for special tools.
the front wing usually moves backwards in a front end bump as its a folded type bolt mounting to the door hinge mounting point, this can usually be removed and bent back to the original position to allow the door to be used until a repair is done properly.
check the end of the chassis leg where the front bumper mounts as this can also be pushed backwards or at least bent at the end where the bumper mounts.
Sorry to hear about your bump - I'd refer to them as something rather stronger then 'pond life'.
Haven't tried this myself and hope I never have to, but it might prevent any further damage to leading edge of the driver's door itself if you release all accessible bolts holding the front wing on and manually pull it forwards before trying to open the door and get at the A-post fixings. Access to do this would probably be improved by removing the light unit - which needs replacing anyway - and the 'hockey stick' corner panel. I would hope the chassis leg hasn't been affected by this sort of low speed offside bump.
Mark
1999 Bongo 2.0L, Northstar Outback rear conversion
El Ferrito
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by El Ferrito » Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:51 pm

Just wanted to say thanks to all for the help.

Parts are ordered, garage is booked. Hopefully all will be fixed in time for Christmas!
BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Post by BongoBongo123 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:59 pm

Sorry to hear about all that sufference, hopefully you will get a good few years run without any problems to make up for it. You will be loving it come spring/summer !
El Ferrito
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by El Ferrito » Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:02 pm

Ok. I have a new wing, headlamp and right hand side grill piece (never did learn it's name). :D

Unfortunately it is the wrong colour. #-o

So.... Does anyone know of a decent body shop that will make my shamed and ever more expensive bongo look beautiful (sort of) again?

I'm based Wiltshire near Bath so somewhere close would be great. The only place I know are closing down this week so anyone decent and still in business would be appreciated.

Thanks to all.

Return to “Bongo Chat”