might buy one!

Anything non-technical about the Mazda Bongo Friendee van

Moderators: Bongoplod, aitch

Rcflyer
Apprentice Bongonaut

might buy one!

Post by Rcflyer » Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:07 pm

Had an Elgrand (sorry) for 7 years - loved it- used it to tow caravan and for luxury picnics. Just sold it due to house move and nowhere to store caravan or Elgrand - which was a thirsty beast! BUT, new house has room for another "picnic van", so thinking Bongo, just "tin-top", not for sleeping in. Should I choose Petrol rather than smelly diesel? Which is the best petrol engine, 2.5 V6, or 2.0 litre? which has the better fuel consumption? Have they both got belt camshafts, or chain? Friendly advice, please?
Bob
Supreme Being

Re: might buy one!

Post by Bob » Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:33 pm

Welcome aboard. :D

For your use I would go for a newer 2 ltr.

Fuel consumtion isn't vastly different but you can look for a later Bongo and the 4 cylinder motor is much simpler, no need to bleed the cooling system, and (from memory) although the cam is still belt driven it's not an 'Interference' engine.

All the 4 wheel drives are diesel if you should need that option. :wink:
Rcflyer
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Rcflyer » Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:12 am

Thanks, Bob, my Nissan Elgrand had two "sunshine" roofs - not seen a Bongo with these - do some models have them? I dont want a camping raised roof, but can an aftermarket glass panel be fitted? Also, what is the latest Bongo year available?
teenmal
Supreme Being

Post by teenmal » Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:43 pm

If you intend to use the vehicle to tow a caravan I would think the 2.5 V6 would be the most sensible option.

Tin top models can be obtained with factory fitted (some electric) sun roofs.

The youngest you are looking at a is a 12 year old vehicle ( 2005)

Take Care.
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:26 pm

Spot on. :wink:
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:05 pm

teenmal wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:43 pm If you intend to use the vehicle to tow a caravan I would think the 2.5 V6 would be the most sensible option.

Tin top models can be obtained with factory fitted (some electric) sun roofs.

The youngest you are looking at a is a 12 year old vehicle ( 2005)

Take Care.
Just for clarification, if you want to tow a caravan, diesel would i think probably be the most sensible option if other owners tales are anything to go by - v6 would be the most sensible petrol option.

My diesel is remarkably unsmelly. The metallicy smell from a catalytic converter exhaust on a cold petrol engine can, in contrast, give me an instant feeling like my head has been put in a vice. I've no idea why that is, but my body is clearly telling me something. Perhaps time may show that diesel did not have a monopoly when it comes being smelly and bad. Generally speaking, in terms of public health, crowded and confined spaces are what's smelly and bad, whoever or whatever is exhausting into them.
Last edited by mikeonb4c on Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:14 pm

Good points Bill.

And for a day/picnic van I would recomend a table which can fit onto a rail by the window, just right for the bech seat.

I also made a fitting so ours will go onto the cycle rack bracket and can then be used under the tailgate. :wink:
Rcflyer
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Rcflyer » Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:06 pm

Thanks, everyone! Probably next year to start looking. I'm at Skipton, a lovely town, with fantastic touring and picnic places around. Need to find a decent Bongo, and preferably a nearby honest dealer and maintainer.

Return to “Bongo Chat”