Advice and info pls

Anything non-technical about the Mazda Bongo Friendee van

Moderators: Bongoplod, aitch

Dave
Apprentice Bongonaut

Advice and info pls

Post by Dave » Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:36 am

Hi all new to this, thinking of buying 2000 V6 2.5 petrol lpg ,my question is their a 4x4 version as I tend to go north for hiking+climbing and our winters can be snow or wet/ or wet an snow/wot do I need to look out for with this bongo model/also it will need a pop top an side conversion any things i should be wary off,I have a brain injury but this does not make me stupid,I have my problems so any help would be grateful thanks all
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Re: Advice and info pls

Post by mikeonb4c » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:16 am

Hi Dave and welcome. Sadly only the diesel is available in 4wd. And from the sound of it you really could use 4wd even if that meant looking at alternatives to Bongos in order to find a petrol 4wd.
Jillygumbo
Supreme Being

Post by Jillygumbo » Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:56 pm

But it would be easier to buy a 4wd diesel tintop initially (depending where you're buying from). I wanted 4wd diesel AFT but was told to 'dream on' but then I was looking for one to be imported from Japan. I ended up with a 4wd diesen tintop and had a roof added.
Jillygumbo, Tonto & Ruca
The night conceals the world, but reveals the universe!
TheLongRoad
Bongolier

Post by TheLongRoad » Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:40 pm

If you want Petrol it might be worth thinking about winter tyres and chains/ snow socks?
I say this because our 2 wheel drive car can get to most places in ice conditions as the 4x4. It is just deep snow or mud that stops the Mini. :shock:
2002 Friendee 2.0 ltr Petrol.
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:32 pm

Hi Dave, and welcome. :)

Good advice above, and I can say friends with 2 wd Bongos report they are very good in a slippery camping field.

Do bear in mind that ground clearance is likely to what decides how far you go if it's really bad, but the diesel 4x4 is good on a mucky campsite.
Tony x
Tribal Elder

Post by Tony x » Sat Nov 25, 2017 12:22 am

Hi Dave.
If you do decide to go with a petrol look for one with a limited slip differential. This will help with traction. We've had a 2wd diesel without the lsd and a 4WD with lsd and the latter is streets ahead when it comes to off road.
Markas
Bongolier

Post by Markas » Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:04 am

TheLongRoad wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:40 pm If you want Petrol it might be worth thinking about winter tyres and chains/ snow socks?
I say this because our 2 wheel drive car can get to most places in ice conditions as the 4x4. It is just deep snow or mud that stops the Mini. :shock:
Don't forget that a 2WD Bongo is rear wheel drive, unlike any Mini from 1959 onwards! Using winter tyres/ socks/ chains etc this shouldn't be a problem
as long as you are aware which end of the van puts the power down.
Mark
1999 Bongo 2.0L, Northstar Outback rear conversion

Return to “Bongo Chat”