cheapest pop top/ kichen conversion

Anything non-technical about the Mazda Bongo Friendee van

Moderators: Bongoplod, aitch

dad5520
Apprentice Bongonaut

Re: cheapest pop top/ kichen conversion

Post by dad5520 » Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:41 pm

teenmal wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:42 am You could also consider a High Top conversion.

http://drivelodge.co.uk/

http://drivelodge.co.uk/high-roofs

Take care
thank you for gesture and it is something I would think about only the other half likes the idea of it looking more like a bus when driving (tin top)
dad5520
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by dad5520 » Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:50 pm

hi guys and thank you all for your input so far, as I have stated I got the van at a price I feel I could not find in its condition and millage as a camper. it needs full ellectrics ie leisure battery, rcd, 240, 12v inversion unit, 240 mains supply etc ( whats the cheapest price to get all this done) and best brands and sites to buy from . where have people who have self converted brought there own kitchens from or hade made? at what cost. can you buy a poptop brand new from what supliers? and who can fit it and also I have inly seen one company be able to fit a rear seat swivel for the back seat! surley there are more ?
Markas
Bongolier

Post by Markas » Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:41 pm

dad5520 wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:50 pm hi guys and thank you all for your input so far, as I have stated I got the van at a price I feel I could not find in its condition and millage as a camper. it needs full ellectrics ie leisure battery, rcd, 240, 12v inversion unit, 240 mains supply etc ( whats the cheapest price to get all this done) and best brands and sites to buy from . where have people who have self converted brought there own kitchens from or hade made? at what cost. can you buy a poptop brand new from what supliers? and who can fit it and also I have inly seen one company be able to fit a rear seat swivel for the back seat! surley there are more ?
I think you're probably referring to Northstar Conversions as they seem to be the only company that fits the rear seat swivel. They also offer supply only or supply and fit on conversions. I contacted them, looking to buy a rear kitchen conversion kit from them and fit it myself. Oddly enough, their cost is the same for supply & fit or supply and deliver of the basic unit.
In the end for speed plus convenience I opted to have them fit the conversion and do the 240v electrics, having already fitted the leisure battery and split charge relay kit myself. This also means that the work is warrantied. Clearly there is a degree of 'upselling' when you go down this route, as I also opted to have a top-loading fridge, led ceiling lights and dual centre bench slider catch fitted. I am very pleased with the final result though, knowing that it has been done by professionals to the best possible standard.
Mark
1999 Bongo 2.0L, Northstar Outback rear conversion
dad5520
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by dad5520 » Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:05 pm

hi markas and thanks for your reply, I may also take that root only ive seen a rear kitchen on ebay with smev sink, hob and trimmings etc for £875 and iis made from ply (Vohringe) and ive seen complete full wiring conversion kits ie fuse boards, power inverter, mains consumer units and battery etc for £300 I'm just getting quotes now for the wirng to be installed I n which I'm told around £35 an hour just need to see if it is all worth doing this way as well as a pop top as I will keep the seat as the bed in which I ask you or any one if I were to turn the back seat around facing the rear (window) or kitchen as such by law can you still transport passengers facing that way as it would be a permanent fix if I was to do it thanks
Markas
Bongolier

Post by Markas » Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:58 pm

dad5520 wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:05 pm hi markas and thanks for your reply, I may also take that root only ive seen a rear kitchen on ebay with smev sink, hob and trimmings etc for £875 and iis made from ply (Vohringe) and ive seen complete full wiring conversion kits ie fuse boards, power inverter, mains consumer units and battery etc for £300 I'm just getting quotes now for the wirng to be installed I n which I'm told around £35 an hour just need to see if it is all worth doing this way as well as a pop top as I will keep the seat as the bed in which I ask you or any one if I were to turn the back seat around facing the rear (window) or kitchen as such by law can you still transport passengers facing that way as it would be a permanent fix if I was to do it thanks
Hi Dad5520, good question about the bench seat - it seems to be a bit of a grey area. I've seen it suggested variously that you don't need seat belts in rear-facing seats (certainly wouldn't go down that route myself) or that you could fit 2 lap belts. I've retained the middle row seat belts, as it's only four bolts and some manpower to turn the middle row seat around again. Perhaps any MOT testers who see this can advise, even a mate who used to do MOTs is confused :?
Mark
1999 Bongo 2.0L, Northstar Outback rear conversion

Return to “Bongo Chat”