Replacement windscreen - now with added noise...

Anything non-technical about the Mazda Bongo Friendee van

Moderators: Bongoplod, aitch

tootsmcfruits
Bongonaut

Replacement windscreen - now with added noise...

Post by tootsmcfruits » Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:54 pm

Hi! I just wanted to see if anyone has had any issues with wind noise after getting a replacement windscreen at all?

A couple months ago I got a pretty bad chip in the windscreen so called up the insurance and they got me in touch with Auto Windscreens. The guy came out and did what I thought was a good job replacing the windscreen and off he went, and then the next time I went out and drove the Bongo I realised there was a wind noise coming from the passenger side lower corner of the window. I only drive the van about once a week and it normally happens when going over 30mph so I left it a week and realised that it kept happening so called Auto Windscreens and they sent another guy out. This one seemed a bit less efficient and took off a panel to check the seal, then the panel below the windscreen (the corner looks like it's sticking up now from the windscreen and been shoved in, when the opposite side is flush) and then told me it can take 5-6 weeks for it to settle and headed off again, and that was about a month ago.

So I've just been away for a few days in the van and it's still doing it. I crammed some paper towels down in the gap that was created by that panel below the windscreen and it didn't seem to make the noise until it got up to 50mph, but then when it was windy it was pretty much back to square one. I was just wondering has anyone else experienced this when they've had a new windscreen replaced?
#sayhellotomylittlefriendee
nth
Bongolier

Re: Replacement windscreen - now with added noise...

Post by nth » Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:28 pm

tootsmcfruits wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:54 pm and then told me it can take 5-6 weeks for it to settle and headed off again, and that was about a month ago.
I smell bull**** , a windscreen should be set solid within 24 hours, the windscreen is part of the cars structure when its bonded in. most modern day bonding agents can set even faster than that. if it takes 5-6 weeks to 'settle in' then you shouldn't be driving the car.
95 2.5d 4WD AFT
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:31 pm

nth wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:28 pm
tootsmcfruits wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:54 pm and then told me it can take 5-6 weeks for it to settle and headed off again, and that was about a month ago.
I smell bull**** , a windscreen should be set solid within 24 hours, the windscreen is part of the cars structure when its bonded in. most modern day bonding agents can set even faster than that. if it takes 5-6 weeks to 'settle in' then you shouldn't be driving the car.
Agree with nth - sounds like a load of balderdash and pobbycock from Auto Windscreens to me [-X
tootsmcfruits
Bongonaut

Post by tootsmcfruits » Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:25 am

Yeah... I thought as much... I just wanted to check that no one had any issues with replacements before I call them again and take a third day off to get this sorted... :x

Are Bongo windscreens quite specific ones? I've been trying to read up about it but wasn't really finding a definitive answer. There's no way they could have put the wrong type in?
teenmal
Supreme Being

Post by teenmal » Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:27 am

You need to contact your Insurance Company regarding this matter ASAP.

PS just make sure that the body work at that particular point is not eaten away with rust.

Take care
tootsmcfruits
Bongonaut

Post by tootsmcfruits » Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:11 am

I'll call them today and get it sorted. I had a poke about last night and definitely no rust, the only thing that's different is the panel of plastic from the bit that covers the bottom of the windscreen and is screwed it - it's like it's been jammed in a funny position and now won't go back to flush with the windscreen.
teenmal
Supreme Being

Post by teenmal » Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:03 pm

Yes that's the way to go.
Meantime you could also check the New windscreen sizes against these...........

https://translate.google.co.uk/translat ... rev=search
tootsmcfruits
Bongonaut

Post by tootsmcfruits » Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:18 pm

teenmal wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:03 pm Yes that's the way to go.
Meantime you could also check the New windscreen sizes against these...........

https://translate.google.co.uk/translat ... rev=search
Thanks teenmal - that's handy! I'll check that when I'm home, and meanwhile give them a call to see what they're saying!
bongoroy63
Bongolier

Post by bongoroy63 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:44 pm

Yet another horror story about an national incompetent windscreen company. I had my windscreen crack last year and contacted my insurance company. They work in conjunction with Autoglass so when I contacted them they told me it would take a week to come and replace it. I was not happy at this length of time so complained. Eventually they came after 5 days.
When they did turn I left the fitter to get on with it. When I went back after half and hour to see how he was getting on he was on his phone looking worried. No wonder as he had broke the new one putting it in. He then told me it would take another week to get another one!!
I was not a happy bunny and told him I wanted it done the next day. He told me to speak to his office who said the same. THEN, he offered to put the old one back in so I could use the van. However he had broken that one getting it out.
I complained to my insurance company who offered to pay for an independent local company to do it who, surprisingly said they could do it two days. They came, done a great job and I was happy again. When I told the fitter the problems I had with Autoglass he said he heard this a lot. I used the same company again only a couple of weeks ago to fit a new windscreen in my mini. They just took my insurance details and said they would sort it out with my insurance company. Sorted.
Moral of the story is, don't use a national company, complain to your insurance company and insist on using a company you can trust. Remember, they line each other's pockets with your money and don't care about you as a customer. Stand your ground and don't take bullsh*t from either.
I can, I do, I did.

Return to “Bongo Chat”