MOT failure - can I sell it?

Anything non-technical about the Mazda Bongo Friendee van

Moderators: Bongoplod, aitch

muffinman
Apprentice Bongonaut

MOT failure - can I sell it?

Post by muffinman » Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:13 pm

Hi folks,

Very sadly my Bongo has failed its MOT with various ailments (£1500 roughly to fix) its getting very rusty - can I really list it spares or repair on eBay? - won't that mean whoever buys it needs a wagon to put it on, therefore leading to me having to sell it ridiculously cheaply?
Is it better to take it to a breakers? I'm in Brighton.

thanks
teenmal
Supreme Being

Re: MOT failure - can I sell it?

Post by teenmal » Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:20 pm

Yes list it spares or repairs, whoever buys the vehicle has the transport responsibility not you, make sure you fill in the V5 properly.
Unfortunately the Scrap prices are very low and if the breaker collects they will probably charge YOU .

Take Care.
Last edited by teenmal on Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sotal
Supreme Being

Post by sotal » Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:35 pm

Yes, quite normal. You can often get more for spares / repair than for scrap.

Some people will have a trailer and have a mini hobby business repairing and selling on cars, or breaking for parts and selling the parts on. Some will pay to have it brought to their house/business.

I've done it once, when I bought a Range Rover V8 with a blown head gasket. Cost me £30 to have it brought to my house from about 15 miles away. I bought the Range Rover for a few hundred quid which was a safe bet as at the time I could sell the seats and the wheels to get my money back and other parts would be profit. I ended up replacing the head gasket, fixing the core plug which had given causing the initial overheat/HG, replaced the brake pipes and MOT'd it. Then sold it as a runner. Not a huge profit but kept me busy for a few weekends and learnt a lot.
muffinman
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by muffinman » Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:31 pm

OK thanks very much I listed it.

Return to “Bongo Chat”