Advice needed: repair or trade-in?

Anything non-technical about the Mazda Bongo Friendee van

Moderators: Bongoplod, aitch

cawkwana
Apprentice Bongonaut

Re: Advice needed: repair or trade-in?

Post by cawkwana » Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:41 am

Thanks to all of you for your replies! This is the first time we've posted on here and it's great to see the advice come in.

In response:

* We know we have had it good for 7 years, we just thought that Bob would keep going for ever ;-)
* The garage we are dealing with is a Bongo savvy garage (they are listed on here) but they have said they don't fit any part that is not got direct from Mazda so there's no chance they would fit us a second hand ABS pump - but we can't believe how cheap 2nd hand ones are! This may well be a good option for us to pursue.
* the van is not converted (we had intentions to do that but it's so useful as is to carry kids and kids' crap around!)
* the MOT is due February and the body work is decent (although this is off the top of my head, I would have to investigate further when we get the van back)
* AND, the brakes do work without the ABS pump working. I have assumed the ABS pump is an extra level of 'brake security' as the van can still be driven without it working.

We are still deciding what to do - and now the option of getting another van has presented itself, we may just take the opportunity to get a freetop and perhaps a converted one.

Anyway, thank you so much for the comments, we are very grateful.

Carl and Lucy
BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Re: Advice needed: repair or trade-in?

Post by BongoBongo123 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:07 pm

I stumbled on this post and found the bit regarding supplied parts interesting. I don't think there is a motorist in the UK that has never thought of getting their own parts for fitment. If you spot a specific deal on parts you know you want.. I don't know say PAGID brake pads and your garagaes distributer only has Mintex and the Mintex are £5.00 more and yet you had a great experience with PAGID brake pads and can get them for a better price than the garage. Puts the consumer in a slightly awkward position.

I don't think many people, unless they are thick as 2 planks are planning putting the worst possible parts (especaily brakes) on their car to "save a fiver". The saving a fiver commentary is not realistic, condescending and smells a bit of sour grapes that a humble consumer might actually know about what a quality branded part is and how much it actually costs. There are multiple aspects to it. A garage could be stuffing you or adding to the cost of the parts, you never really know. Labour prices are all over the place £75.00- £150.00 hour !!!! so knowing what cost what is a guess and you just cough up. If you look online you can easily find the very same parts (especially for a Bongo) for rip off prices.. let's say something for £10.00 delivered to your door going for £18.00 elsewhere. That kind of thing appears to be plain old profiteering to my mind.

I have found there to be no shortage of people to try and take you for a ride in the motor repair and parts business.

There is a sensible consumer response in that garage online rag...

"Theres a huge difference between a Fiver for a steak and £200 for a Cam belt and water pump. I was quoted £100 for the belt and £100 for the pump. They come together in a kit roughly £70 for a decent ford recommended one. Everyone now can see the price of car parts because of the internet so know when a Mechanic is tripling the price for the parts alone and it doesn’t sit well. Also the most expensive part of going out for a meal is the drinks and alot of restaurants let you bring your own."

And one garage owner openly admits to adding a parts profit margin to labour (Thus explaining why labour rates are simply made up and rarely publicised or documented with any accuracy on an Invoice i.e. time vs hourly rate). So its ok to stiff your customer for 30pct on top of a component price just to coin it in ? I suppose a business can do what they want.

But hey that's why we get 3 quotes before we go ahead.

Return to “Bongo Chat”