Newbie with coolant bleed question.

Anything non-technical about the Mazda Bongo Friendee van

Moderators: Bongoplod, aitch

paul mc
Apprentice Bongonaut

Newbie with coolant bleed question.

Post by paul mc » Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:30 pm

Hey Guys.
I am new to the forum so have probably put this post in the wrong section.
If i have, could one of you tell me how to create a new post as i couldn't find any other way in.
My question is the dreaded bleeding of the coolant system, I have watched the you tube see saw approach to this which is really time consuming and was wondering if there was another way? I was speaking to a mechanic and he seemed to think that you can bleed the system by filling the water system through the breather and listen for the glugging noises to stop. has any body else heard of this?
Hope someone can help.
paul mc
Bob
Supreme Being

Re: Newbie with coolant bleed question.

Post by Bob » Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:59 pm

Welcome aboard. 8)

I would wait until your mechanic has tried this time saving method on someone else's Bongo and then let us know how it's worked out.

So many tales of cracked heads start something like this, so I'm just saying, " Be careful" if you volunteer to be a guinea pig.
ade33
Bongolier

Re: Newbie with coolant bleed question.

Post by ade33 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:47 pm

One of the first jobs I did on our V6 was to change the radiator. I must have watched the famous bleeding videos half a dozen times before three of us bled it one evening. I think we spent a paranoid three hours or so on it, before we declared ourselves happy.

Bear in mind it was my first encounter with a Bongo cooling system; others with more experience would doubtless have done it quicker.

There was no way I was going to cut corners on the procedure to save time, when it's made very clear round these parts how critical it is to get it right, and how being complacent can get very expensive.

She bled up fine, and hasn't given any (cooling system) trouble since.

If your mech won't listen to you, find another one that will.

Return to “Bongo Chat”