Anyone else used POR15 (anti rust paint) ?

Anything non-technical about the Mazda Bongo Friendee van

Moderators: Bongoplod, aitch

BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Anyone else used POR15 (anti rust paint) ?

Post by BongoBongo123 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:11 pm

I have used it last year and zero rust re-occurance where used. This is good stuff in my experience. Greatly more expensive than Hammerite
but it seemingly actually works. I had a 10cms plate welded on a sill to cover a 2cm hole, a few small rust spots elsewhere round tailgate etc. and they are solid this year and do not need any re-treatment. (2 coats POR15 and a top coat/lacquer painted on)

Just wondering if anyone else has tried it? I thought I would give it a go, expensive though it is. It is an American product and seems highly chemical
and you really should wear goggles if using it under the bongo if there is any risk of getting it in your eyes from dripping. Also need to cover your forearms (2 pairs of latex gloves goes without saying) It smells horrendous and is a nightmare if you get a drip on you and don't wash it off immediately (not easy in itself). But so far it seems to create a much harder, resilient and rust proof surface than Hammerite does.

I shall be out there sorting a newly found rust spot this weekend.

Just use with great care : "WARNING: THIS PRODUCT CONTAINS CHEMICALS KNOWN TO THE STATE OF CALIFORNIA TO CAUSE CANCER, BIRTH DEFECTS OR OTHER REPRODUCTIVE HARM."
Bob
Supreme Being

Re: Anyone else used POR15 (anti rust paint) ?

Post by Bob » Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:52 pm

I guess as long as you don't use it in California you'll be fine. #-o

Getting my coat... 8)
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:45 pm

Bob wrote:I guess as long as you don't use it in California you'll be fine. #-o

Getting my coat... 8)
Hope its not a coat of POR15 Ben.

I'll fetch me overcoat :lol:
BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Post by BongoBongo123 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:15 pm

There is a bit of a problem with it, it has a tendency to weld the top of the tin on it is that tough. I transferred the remainder into a
glass jar with air tight top and that also stuck on so I have had to puncture the lid and poke a brush through and tape the hole up.

It is almost too strong for its own good. Go with small tins is my advice, I shall do that in the future if need be.

Also a place to check on the Bongo for rust is the place where I need to sort out ,where mud can get trapped. There is a small 1.5cms ledge on the metal rear wing area right above the rear plastic bumper (on the side near rear of arch) I suggest checking that area and getting the mud/built up dirt out which traps moisture/salt against the ledge and of course then rusting it.
Gripped
Bongolier

Post by Gripped » Sat Dec 02, 2017 1:46 am

I'm a convert to POR-15. It's good in that it cures hard and sticks like the proverbial. As it cures with moisture, make sure you don't get it on your skin. It stays there until your skin surface sloughs off !! So gloves are a must.

Used it on a few vehicles. Expensive, but does the job well.
Markas
Bongolier

Post by Markas » Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:15 am

Am I right in thinking though that you cannot use conventional topcoats over POR15 so you are limited to a choice of colours from the same manufacturer?
Mark
1999 Bongo 2.0L, Northstar Outback rear conversion
BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Post by BongoBongo123 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:43 pm

It may not be recommended but I have top coated some of my smaller spots with normal Carpaints4u type touch up and then lacquer. So far so good.

Return to “Bongo Chat”