Bikes on bike rack - how will it affect mpg?

Anything non-technical about the Mazda Bongo Friendee van

Moderators: Bongoplod, aitch

ardee
Junior Bongonaut

Bikes on bike rack - how will it affect mpg?

Post by ardee » Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:42 am

We have a 2L petrol 2001 Bongo with a Fiamma bike rack fitted on the back. We are going from Norfolk to Scotland for a week next month and wondering whether to take our bikes or hire some when we get there. Does anyone know roughly what effect having two bikes on the bike rack will have on the mpg? Will it be so bad that it will be cheaper to hire bikes in Scotland than the extra petrol used in taking our own bikes?
thanks
Tracey
teenmal
Supreme Being

Re: Bikes on bike rack - how will it affect mpg?

Post by teenmal » Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:24 am

Where in Scotland are you going to,do they have a bike hire there,?? (If its the NORTH you will have a better chance hiring a Shetland Pony. )It will make a wee bit difference to your fuel economy but you will always have the bike/s on the back if you run out of fuel.

Get on yer bike and enjoy the trip.

Take Care.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:30 pm

Fuel increase due to air drag should be very little since Bongo has pushed air out of the way already. Extra weight will add a bit to fuel consumption only when accelerating (so no penalty at constant speed on flat roads) but personally i'd just take the bikes and enjoy them 8)
ardee
Junior Bongonaut

Post by ardee » Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:02 pm

Thanks for the responses. The journey is a round trip of over 1000 miles so if it reduces the mpg by 5 miles per gallon then we are looking at an additional £40 in petrol. The place we are staying hires bikes but my brother has hired from them in the past and says they are a bit crap. Has anyone ever measured the difference in mpg with bikes on the back versus no bikes on the back?
teenmal
Supreme Being

Post by teenmal » Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:55 pm

What part of Scotland are you staying/visiting?.
ardee
Junior Bongonaut

Post by ardee » Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:11 pm

teenmal wrote:What part of Scotland are you staying/visiting?.
Fife
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:44 pm

ardee wrote:Thanks for the responses. The journey is a round trip of over 1000 miles so if it reduces the mpg by 5 miles per gallon then we are looking at an additional £40 in petrol. The place we are staying hires bikes but my brother has hired from them in the past and says they are a bit crap. Has anyone ever measured the difference in mpg with bikes on the back versus no bikes on the back?
Sticking my neck out but I'd be very surprised if it had an effect as substantial as that. A headwind on the way (or a tailwind :-) ) will have a much bigger effect, so maybe choose travel day based on forecast wind :P \:D/ 8)
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:07 pm

I can't think you will loose anything like 5mpg, and there is a saving if you use the bikes fo local runs once you're parked up.

You may also have to do extra miles to collect the hire bikes, I'd take them.

And bear in mind fuel stations are a bit rare in the north, and likely don't open late or weekends. My habit when up there is don't look at the price and fill up once you're down to 1/2 tank and see fuel available. :wink:
cmm303
Supreme Being

Post by cmm303 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:54 pm

Never noticed the affect of bikes on the back. Personally I'd ignore.

On my slippery hatchback car (Diesel Civic) bikes on the back might reduce mpg a small bit but never felt significant. However bikes on its roof totally rinses the mpg.
Chris with BertieB
'96 White unconverted AFT 2.5L Diesel 4WD
wwaveydave
Bongonaut

Post by wwaveydave » Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:03 am

There's nothing like cycling using your own bike. Getting a hire bike that's a bit funky mechanically, not fitted for you and maybe even the wrong size may well detract from your cycling enjoyment.
sotal
Supreme Being

Post by sotal » Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:31 pm

We've taken our bikes on a fair few journeys and have never noticed any effect what so ever. We have the diesel and nothing seems to make that much of a difference. Putting the roof box on doesn't seem to make much difference either. I guess when you are pushing something shaped like a brick through the air it is hard to make it much worse!

Return to “Bongo Chat”