best underseal

Anything non-technical about the Mazda Bongo Friendee van

Moderators: Bongoplod, aitch

mellon man
Bongolier

best underseal

Post by mellon man » Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:48 pm

HI
Failed MOT FIRST TIME in 5 years had to have first small bit of welding on drivers side rear sill only cost £30 to do so not to painful
Tester said otherwise in very good condition for age
But I am bit worried as rust has started what do you experts recommend underseals rust preventers etc ? to stop it getting worse.
Thanks
Markas
Bongolier

Re: best underseal

Post by Markas » Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:54 pm

Rustbusters - they advertise in the classic car press. Quite a trek from you for the in-house service as they are in Spalding, Lincolnshire. their 'archguard' service would probably stop Bongo rear wheel arches disintegrating :?
They did an MG for me last autumn, when I got it back it was so thorough a job that waxoil was leaking out of the door handles. Not a problem on that vehicle but you wouldn't want it on the velour bit of Bongo door cards.
Also gave the car a nice 1970s- style freshly undersealed smell!
They also sell the products they use for DIY.
Mark
1999 Bongo 2.0L, Northstar Outback rear conversion
Merlot man
Bongolier

Post by Merlot man » Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:22 am

Good morning
I've used the dinitrol products on the mx5s and the bus and find them good. Rust converter , cavity wax and underbody sealer . I find it dries in the surface but stays soft underneath so chips from the road don't crack it .
Remember that the most important thing is prepping the surface Ie getting rid of all rust either by cutting out and replacing with solid steel and / or using the converter .aldo make sure the surface is clean and dry , and undercarriage power wash works well here , you don't want to be sealing in dirt and moisture !
It will only take an hour to apply the sealers but might take a few days to prep for it :shock:
Best of luck with it and keep us informed as to your progress
Brian
mikeWalsall
Supreme Being

Post by mikeWalsall » Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:18 am

I did my JAL V6Bongo my self .. but decided to get my V6 Alphard properly done by Krown Rust proofers (Tipton) ....

A brilliant service/job done in a nice clean workshop (actualy at the rear of a JDM importer) .. I sat .. waited and watched while the job was done .. the five doors .. bonnet 'braces' ...

All the wheel / under body plastics were removed then a full hour doing the sills ... every mm of the under body/cavities etc: ... in fact, every nook and cranny was thoroughly injected using various probes .

It took a full three hours to do all the "wax oiling" .. then finally a full body car wash .. I am more than pleased in having such a Profesional job done ...

My only 'negative' observations, where the amount of surplus 'oil' seeping out of the doors .. sills .. cavities etc: for several days .. (not good if you have block paving or a posh drive) .. and they spray all the disc brake calipers/splash guards/springs etc:.. for half an hour or so .. your heart stops quicker than the bus ..!!

Dunno if they are a national company (Google) .. I have no connection what ever with the (Canadian) company .. I mentioned I am on Bongo /Toyota Forums and got a 5% discount off the £320 cost ..
JAL Mushroom roof,12/240v, fridge, cooker, sink, LPG V6 .. (written off @ £5500 Nov 2016)

Return to “Bongo Chat”