Hard shell tops

Anything non-technical about the Mazda Bongo Friendee van

Moderators: Bongoplod, aitch

Glenda
Bongolier

Hard shell tops

Post by Glenda » Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:30 pm

In my quest for a new V6 I would consider a permanent hard shell top on a low top. Only IF the windows opened or at least there was some form of ventilation. JAL do a hard top and Budget Bongos in Southampton. Have picked up a bit from a search on here but nothing specific....Anyone got one or had a look at one.
Ian
Supreme Being

Re: Hard shell tops

Post by Ian » Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:18 pm

668. The Neighbour of The Beast.
Glenda
Bongolier

Post by Glenda » Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:47 am

Thanks. That's the one. I see high top was the correct wording. Now found those on EBay. Anyone have feedback on sleeping up there and efficiency of ventilation?which is an optional extra I see.

Our reasoning for having one is storage up top and ability to sleep hidden in places you should not be wild camping. Feedback please.
Jillygumbo
Supreme Being

Post by Jillygumbo » Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:33 pm

Contact Den at New Dawn Conversions in Wednesbury. He fits the Drivelodge hard top and the one I saw the other week (his show vehicle) has a ventilation hatch in the roof.
http://www.newdawnconversions.co.uk/

Den's a good friend and did my conversion.
Jillygumbo, Tonto & Ruca
The night conceals the world, but reveals the universe!
Gasy
Supreme Being

Post by Gasy » Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:18 pm

They must make the bongo even more top heavy and a wobbly drive
How much do they increase the mpg
If your wild camping at night and you get a knock
Just say your to tired to drive on ( don't drive if tired is all over the motor ways ) officer
With the aft once up you can then lift the floor/roof to give you standing height in the van :D
Gas safe heating engineer / plumber if you need any advice just shout.
haydn callow
Supreme Being

Post by haydn callow » Wed Jun 14, 2017 5:40 pm

I had Tintop v6 with electric sun roof.
I bought a fibreglass high top shell and fitted it myself. 4 x 'clips' held it onto the roof via the gutters. It was a 10 minute job to fit or remove. This ment I could remove it during the winter and use it for camping as and when required. Loads of storage space up there and with a bit of thought practical to sleep up there. Window kits can be bought and fitted.
It worked well for us and did not affect handling. Put rubber beading all around the edge and just a length of gaffer tape across the front join to prevent the wind getting under there when doing 50 plus mph.
http://www.coolantalarm.co.uk
Developer of the Mazda Bongo Coolant loss Alarm
Also BMW Clocks
Jillygumbo
Supreme Being

Post by Jillygumbo » Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:42 pm

haydn callow wrote:I had Tintop v6 with electric sun roof.
I bought a fibreglass high top shell and fitted it myself. 4 x 'clips' held it onto the roof via the gutters. It was a 10 minute job to fit or remove. This ment I could remove it during the winter and use it for camping as and when required. Loads of storage space up there and with a bit of thought practical to sleep up there. Window kits can be bought and fitted.
It worked well for us and did not affect handling. Put rubber beading all around the edge and just a length of gaffer tape across the front join to prevent the wind getting under there when doing 50 plus mph.
Did that make it a cabriolet?
Jillygumbo, Tonto & Ruca
The night conceals the world, but reveals the universe!

Return to “Bongo Chat”