Probably time to scrap - advice please!

Anything non-technical about the Mazda Bongo Friendee van

Moderators: Bongoplod, aitch

DeanRTaylor
Apprentice Bongonaut

Probably time to scrap - advice please!

Post by DeanRTaylor » Sun Jun 04, 2017 3:26 pm

Hi all,

I've had my '97 Bongo for almost a decade and we've had many adventures. The engine is still going strong, but there is some serious rust and other expenses cropping up together.

It has currently failed it's MOT due to corrosion to the front of the chassis. It also needs new parts for a broken alternator (died last week), leaky shock and broken wishbone. Rear wheel arches are very rusty (spiky all around) and bottom of rear door is also rusting now.

For welding and parts, it will be over 1k and I suspect more expense is on the way. I am resigned to retiring it. 256k km by the way.

Anyway, what ought I to do next? I see there is a scrappage section on here - much of the Bongo would be useful to others I imagine and if I can make a few quid from the useful parts then that would be good.

It has a JAL fitted mattress, rear most seat was removed when I bought it so is in excellent condition, much of the components could be stripped.

What do you think Bongo gurus?!

Many thanks!
Bob
Supreme Being

Re: Probably time to scrap - advice please!

Post by Bob » Sun Jun 04, 2017 3:53 pm

Hi, and welcome aboard.

As so often it's impossible to give useful advice without knowing more . :wink:

Roughly where are you? There may be a breaker near you who will pay a fair price, but may be worth little if they have to send a truck 200 miles.

Do you have a yard where you could break it and sell each part on e bay? Likely best return money wise.

Are you retired with unlimited time to break it, or living somewhere with no off road space, working 60 hours a week and looking after family?

This sort of thing is what will make your decision. 8)
rita
Supreme Being

Post by rita » Sun Jun 04, 2017 5:15 pm

stick it on Ebay "Spares or Repairs"

Unfortunately its not rusty VW.

Good Luck.
dans_t16s
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by dans_t16s » Sun Jun 04, 2017 5:57 pm

If you are breaking it, and it's a 2.5 diesel, I could be interested in the diesel fuel pump if working okay.
DeanRTaylor
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by DeanRTaylor » Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:45 am

Hi all and thanks!

I'm based between Hemel Hempstead and Dunstable not far from the M1. I work so time to break it myself is not really available.

I have had some interest in taking it and doing the welding to get it back on the road - I think that would be best as it still has plenty of life in the engine and would bring someone a lot of joy if they spent a little on it. Is there a place on this forum that I could offer it up for that purpose?

Alternatively are there any breakers not far from me?

The MOT runs until the 10th (this weekend!) so I could potentially get it to a new owner or breaker this week - will need a truck to carry it after that :^(
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:15 am

There's a 'For Sale' section on here, not sure if you have to be a member, or an honest 'Spares or Repair' description on flea bay may get a result.

Ian Taylor, Stoke, sometimes buys in, and collects, off road Bongos but a private sale is worth a try.

There is a 'Breaking Bongos' section on here, but work is indeed the problem, and its a shame to scrap a Bongo if someone can sort it. 8)
DeanRTaylor
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by DeanRTaylor » Tue Jun 06, 2017 3:48 pm

Thanks Bob. I'll try it on the private sales and see if I can contact Ian Taylor - worth a try!

I won't want much for it, so if someone has the time, it'll be a great project.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Tue Jun 06, 2017 4:28 pm

DeanRTaylor wrote:Thanks Bob. I'll try it on the private sales and see if I can contact Ian Taylor - worth a try!

I won't want much for it, so if someone has the time, it'll be a great project.
That sounds like a great/generous idea - the right person with the right skills and time might well get it back on the road again and as bob says it's a shame to scrap one of these old classics if it can be avoided (though the spares will always be welcome also!)
cmm303
Supreme Being

Post by cmm303 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:17 pm

There are also some bongo groups on Facebook which allow private sales. Could be useful to broaden your audience either once on eBay or even beforehand.
Chris with BertieB
'96 White unconverted AFT 2.5L Diesel 4WD
DeanRTaylor
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by DeanRTaylor » Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:49 pm

That's a great call, Chris - I'll get onto that too! Many thanks.

This is a very civilised forum - I feel sad that my reason for joining is also a reason to leave :^/
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:11 pm

You don't have to leave just because your Bongo moves on to a new home. :wink:

The term for friends in that situation is 'Bongones'. 8)

If you're Bongo minded you'll always get a welcome here, and at the Meets, whatever you drive. :D
heinrn
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by heinrn » Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:16 am

Hi Dean,
Have you made any progress with this. I'm afraid I might be in a similar situation with my Bongo so was wondering if you can provide an update?
Thanks

Return to “Bongo Chat”