Facebook

Anything non-technical about the Mazda Bongo Friendee van

Moderators: Bongoplod, aitch

MountainGoat
Supreme Being

Re: Facebook

Post by MountainGoat » Sat Jan 14, 2017 4:20 pm

Although It is now a few years since I upgraded to a motorhome and therefore no longer have need of the technical assistance that Bongo Fury provides. I still contribute to the Forum to keep in contact with the friends that I have made through owning a Bongo and regularly attend local meets. That said I am also on the Facebook Bongo Owners Scotland group which currently has 213 members, the meets of which are advertised both on Facebook and Bongo Fury. Mulshy and Mountain Mummy are also members of this group. At the moment it would seem that some new Bongo owners using Facebook are unaware of Bongo Fury and some use both mediums.

For me the perfect solution would be for Bongo Fury have a presence on Facebook as the main Bongo group and giving contact details for all new regional Facebook groups starting up, with these groups giving information of the technical assistance which Bongo Fury can provide . But that would require agreement with all concerned.
Former SGL5 Owner Jeep Cherokee 2.5CRD Burstner Ixeo Time it585
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Sat Jan 14, 2017 5:54 pm

Really interesting post Tony. =D>
Bongoplod
Supreme Being

Post by Bongoplod » Sun Jan 15, 2017 12:48 am

MountainGoat wrote:Although It is now a few years since I upgraded to a motorhome and therefore no longer have need of the technical assistance that Bongo Fury provides. I still contribute to the Forum to keep in contact with the friends that I have made through owning a Bongo and regularly attend local meets. That said I am also on the Facebook Bongo Owners Scotland group which currently has 213 members, the meets of which are advertised both on Facebook and Bongo Fury. Mulshy and Mountain Mummy are also members of this group. At the moment it would seem that some new Bongo owners using Facebook are unaware of Bongo Fury and some use both mediums.

For me the perfect solution would be for Bongo Fury have a presence on Facebook as the main Bongo group and giving contact details for all new regional Facebook groups starting up, with these groups giving information of the technical assistance which Bongo Fury can provide . But that would require agreement with all concerned.
One or two FB members do point people to the bongo fury forum for advice,in particuler Geoff Mather who regularly points people here for technical knowledge and other things.
Confucious once said " To be fluent in Bongolese is to hold the key to the world!"
MountainGoat
Supreme Being

Post by MountainGoat » Sun Jan 15, 2017 1:23 am

That's what I have done Brian. But the same requests keep coming up again and again. If it was pointed out somewhere just where they could find the information they needed it would free up Facebook for other purposes. Unlike Bongo Fury Facebook posts are not sorted out into categories, it can become one big mess.
Former SGL5 Owner Jeep Cherokee 2.5CRD Burstner Ixeo Time it585
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Sun Jan 15, 2017 4:55 pm

Hi
Goodness...a Scottish group...How many Facebook groups / pages are there?...I am on a couple, but yon Scottish group looks quite a manageable size...I don't do much camping these days...one or two issues to contend with....but I might try this year on my own with a couple of German Shepherds (dogs, not German Shepherds...I don't know any of those).....I was considering a drive to Poland, but then again, the train journey looks fun!
Cheers
Helen
In the beginning there was nothing , then God said "Let there be Light".....There was still nothing , but ,by crikey, you could see it better.
Bongolia
Supreme Being

Post by Bongolia » Sun Jan 15, 2017 5:31 pm

Why not a Bongo Fury FB page with clickable lins to the various BF website forums then?
Can that be done and would that require any maintenance?
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Sun Jan 15, 2017 5:57 pm

FB doesn't really work that way to link to other sites, once read it drops lower in precedence unless boosted by people adding to the thread. Also you have to remember that phone/tablets/browsers all show the FB pages differently and in differing orders so what is visible and simple in one format is a pain in another - take Pinned messages for instance, simple in a browser its always at the top, in a tablet you need to click a link in faint grey to see it, on phones with smaller screens its tucked away on a menu ISTR not in sight at all!
Searching is ordered oddly, usually with active threads coming up higher first and threads with nothing recently added can be several pages down despite lots of people viewing them.

Each type of "social media" has its pro and cons, suited to different generations and purposes, IRC, BB's, IX's, Wiki's, and the more recent players FB etc. Its not often that they work well when crossed over into a different formats ...
If you started a FB BF page all the rapid/instant chat would move there and the BB format would stagnate and eventually be a backwater or archive only.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
MalcW
Bongonaut

Post by MalcW » Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:01 pm

Wow. When I originally asked the question about whether signing up to Facebook I was expecting just 2 or 3 replies saying basically "yes" or "no". it seems far more involved and emotive than that.
So, it seems that the bottom line is that I should bite the bullet, sign up, and join a couple of relevant groups. I'll continue to visit this forum and be a member of Bongo Fury though; forums (fora?) generally work well for me. But to use and maintain our modern classics - at least that's how I see them - all input is useful.

Thanks all.

Malc
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:25 pm

After almost ten year on here I can say asking the question, "Is it Friday tomorrow?", would be unlikely to get a simple yes/no answer.

Why do that when we can have some fun and go all round a subject? :lol:

That's what we like. :D
alant54
Tribal Elder

Post by alant54 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:19 pm

Bob wrote:After almost ten year on here I can say asking the question, "Is it Friday tomorrow?", would be unlikely to get a simple yes/no answer.

Why do that when we can have some fun and go all round a subject? :lol:

That's what we like. :D

Bob the answer is YES.... :shock: ..at least it is here in Runcorn.... :lol: ...Don't know about Somerset...must be something to do with cider.... #-o ... :lol:

Ok ...coat on and I'm off.... :oops:

Alan
Alan...still plodding on....!
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:46 pm

All depends when you're reading it, Alan. :lol:
alant54
Tribal Elder

Post by alant54 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:02 pm

Bob wrote:All depends when you're reading it, Alan. :lol:
Just looking at the day you posted it Bob.....Ok..coat still on... :oops: ...don't know why I came back.. :lol: ....off again.. #-o

Alan
Alan...still plodding on....!
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:52 pm

See, discussion underway. :lol:
cmm303
Supreme Being

Post by cmm303 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:05 pm

Can I put my twopenny's worth in? ..... as somebody who dabbles a fair amount but erratically on both media. :D

I agree with just about everything said. Horses for courses, they have their own strengths.
FB is a very instant experience ... but for regular contributors, as already said, there is a huge amount of repetition because a) it is human nature just to ask when it is so easy and b) searching isn't easy or always helpful. I contributed on FB but after just a couple of weeks got very bored. I admire Geoff and others for their altruistic tenacity.

BF does receive similar repetition to a lesser extent but it is so much more fruitful as a research tool and easier to link back in responses. This combined, with the phenomenal depth and breadth of expertise on here is unbeatable. However it isn't "always on" like the FB / smartphone alliance. I still enjoy browsing BF chat more than FB, just to see who is putting their coat on today :lol: . I agree that without the chit chat and social aspect, BF would be very different as a techy only site but reckon it would still survive, just with a different culture and atmosphere. Basically, this sort of resource is NEEDED to run ageing Bongos. :cry:
Chris with BertieB
'96 White unconverted AFT 2.5L Diesel 4WD
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:18 pm

Good points Chris.

I certainly wouldn't have a Bongo without BF. 8)

Didn't know if you could get insurance, let alone price, or parts availability, without joining here before I bought. :)

Return to “Bongo Chat”