What a difference!

Anything non-technical about the Mazda Bongo Friendee van

Moderators: Bongoplod, aitch

Bongolia
Supreme Being

What a difference!

Post by Bongolia » Fri Oct 28, 2016 9:11 pm

As some may know I am currently refurbing a 4WD Bongo.
It has been the victim of a battery acid attack that seriously damaged the bodywork over quite an extensive area and over a number of years. :(
I have set myself and Bongo up on the end lift in our workshop and now I am there most days carrying out the work to get it back to good health.
Obviously it is quit noticeable sitting up in the air with an old frat mig welding bits in and has attracted a lot of attention from customers.

We have 4 Bongos on our books we really only see them at MOT times and for the odd oil change and pre holiday check overs, most Bongo owners I think carry out there own routine maintenance, One of the advantages of having a human oriented motor.

We had one of these Bongos in for MOT last week, I was off sick, but the owner was naturally interested in what was happening to the Wasp .

I had a text from Dave my partner to ask if I would like carry out an inspection of the box sections etc on this customers Bongo, I was interested in what I might find, so I agreed.
It came in today and after Frank had removed the panels etc I got to work with the camera. :evil:

This was a 1995 ATF 185 odd K on the clock unconverted except for a lift out rear pod reasonably good body condition from the outside with the not unusual faded paintwork to bonnet and wing tops and not what you would call showroom condition.
It had both arches done three years back, not by us, and there was some small bubbles appearing under the NSR paint where the weld had been made I suspected.

I was surprised when I looked into the areas I had found rusted on mine. Far from finding loads of rust I found very little! Most of the rusting was minor and would benefit from a waxing of the body cavities and a bit of stitch in time painting but apart from that nothing much to report!
Screen pillars and roof almost completely clean and inner sills all good with evidence of one nicely repaired and treated patch under the B pillar drivers side and two nicely treated and sealed rear arches.!
A 21 year old bongo that's not bad I reckon.What a contrast to my 4WD.

The customer was pleased and has booked in to have cavities treated in February so as to give me time to finish mine and we have his mates 97 4WD in for a similar look over on Thursday next week. I will keep yous posted as to the outcome on that one . I shall be interested to find out whose vehicle is the exception.
I should be posting some pixs on the 4WD refurb later Saturday but now my friend Lord Nelson is beckoning me to join him in a beer or two. :P
Bob
Supreme Being

Re: What a difference!

Post by Bob » Fri Oct 28, 2016 9:29 pm

Jolly interesting.

I've just delivered mine to Dr Allan, Plymouth, for medical, service, coolant change, air assistors and general check round for corrosion and whatever so I'll report back next week with the results.

'96 4wd AFT.
Bongolia
Supreme Being

Post by Bongolia » Fri Oct 28, 2016 11:27 pm

Bob wrote:Jolly interesting.

I've just delivered mine to Dr Allan, Plymouth, for medical, service, coolant change, air assistors and general check round for corrosion and whatever so I'll report back next week with the results.

'96 4wd AFT.
Yes, that would be interesting Bob.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Sat Oct 29, 2016 9:03 am

Interesting post Bongolia. There's been some suggestion that earlier Bongos have a better build quality. Could there be something in that? Alternatively, could climate, pattern of use, storage etc have made a difference. And then there's galvanic corrosion - could there be variations caused by phenomena like that. Was tve wasp a North Japan Bongo, as the winter climate is harsh there. Hard to know :roll:
Bongolia
Supreme Being

Post by Bongolia » Sat Oct 29, 2016 3:35 pm

What I have noticed during the refurb is that very nearly every area I have found corrosion there has been a factory fitted grommet.
Were Bongos exported to other countries?
Where these factory inserted grommets to facilitate corrosion protection on export models?
I can see no other reason for there placement.
Has a BF member ever listed where these points are?
I have searched and can find none.
Bongolia
Supreme Being

Post by Bongolia » Sat Oct 29, 2016 3:39 pm

How could I tell if it were a northern climate vehicle, chassis number/engine code?
I have searched under posts for winter Bongos and found posts relating to fast warm up devices and there removal.
I wonder if there is some correlation.
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Sat Oct 29, 2016 5:10 pm

Two most ovbious signs are 2 starter batteries and a little switch with an engine logo on it

That switches the exhaust valve to warm the engine on starting. :wink:
teenmal
Supreme Being

Post by teenmal » Sat Oct 29, 2016 5:13 pm

Having a winter pack does not mean that the vehicle has spent its life in the North of the country (Japan), the only way is to contact / find out where the previous owner/s lived.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Sat Oct 29, 2016 7:52 pm

teenmal wrote:Having a winter pack does not mean that the vehicle has spent its life in the North of the country (Japan), the only way is to contact / find out where the previous owner/s lived.
Mind you, given the complexity of doing that we may have to settle for clues that suggest it could have come from North Japan. One things for sure - the rust is a done deed regardless. :roll:
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Sat Oct 29, 2016 7:54 pm

Bongolia wrote:What I have noticed during the refurb is that very nearly every area I have found corrosion there has been a factory fitted grommet.
Were Bongos exported to other countries?
Where these factory inserted grommets to facilitate corrosion protection on export models?
I can see no other reason for there placement.
Has a BF member ever listed where these points are?
I have searched and can find none.
I had significant rust outs that had started around the grommets at sill fronts inside the front wheel arches. Much the same at the sill rear ends also. Hey ho :roll:
dobby
Supreme Being

Post by dobby » Sat Oct 29, 2016 10:55 pm

I'm sure Ian Taylor told me that there was a real issue with steel quality at some point?
Bongolia
Supreme Being

Post by Bongolia » Sat Oct 29, 2016 11:22 pm

mikeonb4c wrote:Interesting post Bongolia. There's been some suggestion that earlier Bongos have a better build quality. Could there be something in that? Alternatively, could climate, pattern of use, storage etc have made a difference. And then there's galvanic corrosion - could there be variations caused by phenomena like that. Was tve wasp a North Japan Bongo, as the winter climate is harsh there. Hard to know :roll:
No sign of any switches.
Roo may know.
roosmith
Tribal Elder

Post by roosmith » Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:15 am

It did have the winter pack, I removed that and fitted the new front section of exhaust, not that long ago. The switch is still in place by your right knee. The batteries had been converted to leisure and starter before I got it.
Vivaro named Stewart however ex '96 4wd 2.5TD owner.
Bongolia
Supreme Being

Post by Bongolia » Mon Oct 31, 2016 12:41 pm

Thanks Roo.
So what can be drawn from that is winter Bongos received no more special corrosion treatment than the warm climate ones.
So why the strategically placed grommets?
Can anyone tell me if the Freda was exported?
I seem to remember reading that they where Ford badged to appeal to the export market,have I got that right.
Are Fredas waxed as standard?
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Mon Oct 31, 2016 1:24 pm

Must have been at one point as I believe there were a few lefthand drive ones kicking about.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions

Return to “Bongo Chat”