Underseal (and yes I did search the forums)

Anything non-technical about the Mazda Bongo Friendee van

Moderators: Bongoplod, aitch

ukspaceman
Bongonaut

Underseal (and yes I did search the forums)

Post by ukspaceman » Tue Sep 13, 2016 8:56 am

Hi All

I have a quote from Waxoyl to underseal my Bongo for £440 in Southampton. I want to get a couple of other quotes before I go ahead. Im on the south coast so looking for something local, I read a post on here recommending Newbury to another member based in Portsmouth, this isnt exactly local and the reply was sometime ago. Im waiting for a reply back from Anson Autos who restore paint and body work for classic cars so hoping they might underseal as part of the restore process.

Thanks

PS: There is no way I am going to underseal myself. Dont have the time or desire to do so :D
-----------------------------

http://www.istheinternetbroken.com/
roosmith
Tribal Elder

Re: Underseal (and yes I did search the forums)

Post by roosmith » Tue Sep 13, 2016 11:12 am

£440 sounds about right for a proper job. Too cheap and they will miss bits or cover bits that shouldn't be covered
Vivaro named Stewart however ex '96 4wd 2.5TD owner.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Tue Sep 13, 2016 12:10 pm

Are they using basic waxoyl or more expensive stuff like dinitrol? Price sounds likely for a decent job with basic waxoyl in the South where costs are generally higher. Waxoyl usually needs redoing annually in high abrasion areas only (typically wheel arches).
Alan2016
Bongonaut

Post by Alan2016 » Tue Sep 13, 2016 12:46 pm

Perhaps a bit of topic but if you have an existing waxoyl finish are you stuck with it or is it possible to switch to dinitrol (and if possible would it be worth the effort)?
ukspaceman
Bongonaut

Post by ukspaceman » Tue Sep 13, 2016 2:37 pm

mikeonb4c wrote:Are they using basic waxoyl or more expensive stuff like dinitrol? Price sounds likely for a decent job with basic waxoyl in the South where costs are generally higher. Waxoyl usually needs redoing annually in high abrasion areas only (typically wheel arches).

Its the basic Waxoyl.

http://www.waxoyltreatment.co.uk/carava ... es-waxoyl/
-----------------------------

http://www.istheinternetbroken.com/
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Tue Sep 13, 2016 3:17 pm

ukspaceman wrote:
mikeonb4c wrote:Are they using basic waxoyl or more expensive stuff like dinitrol? Price sounds likely for a decent job with basic waxoyl in the South where costs are generally higher. Waxoyl usually needs redoing annually in high abrasion areas only (typically wheel arches).

Its the basic Waxoyl.

http://www.waxoyltreatment.co.uk/carava ... es-waxoyl/
In some respects that better than dinitrol which eventually cracks and traps wet behind allowing out of site rust holes to get going. Just remember to check/renew annually and i think might be quite DIYable using clear Waxoyl and just a paintbrush and protective clothing / polythene sheets to catch drips.

Unless things like sills and rear wings are rusting and likely to need welding soon, try andcget an assurance tvey will remove rear lights clusters, sill bungs etc and spray inside sills and wings, replacing/renewing bungs as required. Remove spare tyre to make sure crossmember up behind rear silencer and rear bumper gets done properly. Also, special attention to sill around rear heater box and to metal coolant pipes and also front cross member behind front bumper and underneath radiator (but make sure they protect maun and transmission radiator so sprayed waxoyl does not block matrix)
drongowithabongo
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by drongowithabongo » Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:36 am

ukspaceman wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2016 8:56 am Hi All

I have a quote from Waxoyl to underseal my Bongo for £440 in Southampton. I want to get a couple of other quotes before I go ahead. Im on the south coast so looking for something local, I read a post on here recommending Newbury to another member based in Portsmouth, this isnt exactly local and the reply was sometime ago. Im waiting for a reply back from Anson Autos who restore paint and body work for classic cars so hoping they might underseal as part of the restore process.

Thanks

PS: There is no way I am going to underseal myself. Dont have the time or desire to do so :D

I’m thinking of getting this done. How did the job turn out?
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:06 am

Waxoiling needs to be done a clean, dry and un-rust affected chassis as otherwise your trap moisture under the coating. If your vehicle hasn't been coated on import then it needs to be cleaned thoroughly before doing so.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:30 am

g8dhe wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:06 am Waxoiling needs to be done a clean, dry and un-rust affected chassis as otherwise your trap moisture under the coating. If your vehicle hasn't been coated on import then it needs to be cleaned thoroughly before doing so.
2nd that. If there's any chance that welding will be needed to any areas, get that done first as waxoyl as a fire hazard makes that job much more difficult and dangerous.
Bonneville
Bongolier

Post by Bonneville » Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:47 pm

Interestingly, the Americans use a product called 'Fluid Film' in the rust belt states. This stuff goes on everything but the exhaust and remains partly fluid unlike Waxoyl which dries out and forms a crust for the water to sit under. If I was doing the fresh import thing, I think I'd go that way instead of the black stuff. Lots of YouTube vids on it.

Return to “Bongo Chat”