Coolant tank empty

Anything non-technical about the Mazda Bongo Friendee van

Moderators: Bongoplod, aitch

Syner
Bongonaut

Re: Coolant tank empty

Post by Syner » Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:31 am

ADS seemed concerned and baffled that the tank is completely empty.

AA man thought it was strange that it has had a new water pump fitted, stating that it looks like its probably had problems recently.
Currently being towed to the garage, I'm at home feeling rather glum.

Wish me luck.
Syner
Bongonaut

Post by Syner » Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:39 am

From the initial inspection, I have been told I should get my money back.

:(
mountainmummy
Bongolier

Post by mountainmummy » Mon Aug 22, 2016 5:27 pm

Syner wrote:From the initial inspection, I have been told I should get my money back.

:(
Rotten news but at least you bought it from a trader so hopefully will be covered under sale of goods act.

Good luck.

Sara
Why, oh why did I chose such a naff forum name????
Syner
Bongonaut

Post by Syner » Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:45 pm

Yes, thankfully they are going to refund me.

The search is back on.

Thinking of getting one fresh from Japan. Quite a bit more expensive but i'm thinking its probably worth it.
cmm303
Supreme Being

Post by cmm303 » Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:42 am

Syner wrote:Yes, thankfully they are going to refund me.

The search is back on.

Thinking of getting one fresh from Japan. Quite a bit more expensive but i'm thinking its probably worth it.
I'd say that was a lucky escape. Hopefully the trader is also paying the cost of recovering the van.

Some in your position have not been so lucky and have had to fight very hard for fair play.
haydn callow wrote: It's a long story why ADS don't fit our alarms......lets just say ALL main/big dealers who sell bongos fit them before sale. It makes no sense not to fit one to your bongo......
Ahhh, I was quite taken a back when ADS dismissed my LCA :( . Note to self to tease the story out of Haydn, bound to be a good one :lol:
Chris with BertieB
'96 White unconverted AFT 2.5L Diesel 4WD
Syner
Bongonaut

Post by Syner » Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:22 pm

I drove it back and then drove down the road I bought an R reg bongo. Looks to be in really good condition. I had a much better idea of what I was looking for.
ade33
Bongolier

Post by ade33 » Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:20 pm

I would agree you had a (very) lucky escape. Well done :-) :-)
Syner
Bongonaut

Post by Syner » Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:22 am

Yes, i'm feeling rather fortunate.

Apparently, the van should never have passed the MOT. I think something dodgy was going on and they panicked.
Whatersname
Bongonaut

Post by Whatersname » Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:49 am

Great outcome and just in time for the bank holiday
cmm303
Supreme Being

Post by cmm303 » Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:02 am

Syner wrote:I drove it back and then drove down the road I bought an R reg bongo. Looks to be in really good condition. I had a much better idea of what I was looking for.
=D> That is great news. There are so many things to put on the to-do list for a new old vehicle but at the top highly recommend putting an hour in to install an LCA if it hasn't got one already.
Chris with BertieB
rita
Supreme Being

Post by rita » Sat Aug 27, 2016 1:22 am

cmm303 wrote:
Syner wrote:Yes, thankfully they are going to refund me.

The search is back on.

I'd say that was a lucky escape. Hopefully the trader is also paying the cost of recovering the van.

Some in your position have not been so lucky and have had to fight very hard for fair play.
haydn callow wrote: It's a long story why ADS don't fit our alarms......lets just say ALL main/big dealers who sell bongos fit them before sale. It makes no sense not to fit one to your bongo......
Ahhh, I was quite taken a back when ADS dismissed my LCA :( . Note to self to tease the story out of Haydn, bound to be a good one :lol:
You might find it quite ALARMING :lol: :lol: I am quite surprised that you do not already know the reason as you seem to be in contact with ADS.

Good Luck.
Syner
Bongonaut

Post by Syner » Sat Aug 27, 2016 10:56 am

Next time I'm there, I will have to ask.
cmm303
Supreme Being

Post by cmm303 » Sun Aug 28, 2016 10:39 am

rita wrote:
cmm303 wrote: ... Ahhh, I was quite taken a back when ADS dismissed my LCA :( . Note to self to tease the story out of Haydn, bound to be a good one lol:
You might find it quite ALARMING :lol: :lol: I am quite surprised that you do not already know the reason as you seem to be in contact with ADS.

Good Luck.
Rita, I swallowed my pride in my LCA and quickly moved on (knowing who was right!). Their advice about the rest of the Bongo was more important at the time. Also their view on LCAs came over as generic and not addressed at any one manufacturer.
Chris with BertieB
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Sun Aug 28, 2016 11:20 am

I can understand a garage getting fed up with people thinking an LCA is a cure all and then blaming the installer when they find out it isn't. A low coolant alarm can only warn you when (in an otherwise healthy coolant system) there is a loss of coolant. It is not designed to deal with situations where, as a symptom of a malfunctioning system, the coolant level rises in the header tank (as it might in an overheat situation). My Haydn LCA has given perfect service, and saved me, several times, over the ten years i've had it.
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Sun Aug 28, 2016 7:56 pm

I think it was a problem with the pink, five year, coolant coating the sensor screws and causing false alarms.

Two minute job to loosen the screws and clean with a wire brush but they won't have it.

Hayden's LCA saved my engine when the bleed pipe failed in the drive, no way would I have known without it until major damage done.

Return to “Bongo Chat”