Just bought my first Bongo

Anything non-technical about the Mazda Bongo Friendee van

Moderators: Bongoplod, aitch

AliBongogo
Apprentice Bongonaut

Just bought my first Bongo

Post by AliBongogo » Thu Jul 07, 2016 7:40 pm

Hello! Just bought my first Bongo, so I thought I'd join a forum, in the hope of educating myself!

The vehicle is an N-reg poptop, 2.5l auto-diesel. It's a bit rough around the edges, but appears to be OK mechanically (fingers crossed). Didn't cost me an enormous amount (£1800) but that may well rise in the coming weeks.

The main problems that I saw when I bought the vehicle were the areas around the rear vents.
I'm kind of handy with a welder, so as soon as I got my new Bongo home I removed the rear bumper and cut out the bad.
Welded in some patches
Then gave it a good coat of Furtan rust preventer, ready for painting sometime soon

Inner wheel arches are a bit cruddy (outer wing patches having been welded over previously rusted arches in the past). So on the one side I've cut out the grot and had a go at fabricating an inner arch.
Only problem is, in cutting out the outer arch I've encountered some kind of tape stuff (I assume it's a sound deadener/insulator). I presume this will need to be ground off before I can weld the outer arch back into place, to avoid catching fire. Does anyone else have any experience of this? If so, how did you avoid burning your precious Bongo to a crisp?

Also, does anyone know where I could get a replacement breather pipe for my fuel filler neck? The one on my vehicle looks to be rather crumbly!

Return to “Bongo Chat”