Tyres

Anything non-technical about the Mazda Bongo Friendee van

Moderators: Bongoplod, aitch

Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Re: Tyres

Post by Northern Bongolow » Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:30 pm

Ian wrote:Does anyone have any feedback on Continental Vanco snow tyres?

best tyres ive ever had on my bongo ian. just wish i could afford another set. :cry:
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:46 pm

You ad tyres on 't Bongo?

You were lucky... :lol:

There were four of us kids and we ad to old up corner each while our Dad drove to quarry...
Duane126
Junior Bongonaut

Post by Duane126 » Fri Dec 04, 2015 12:33 pm

Morning all. I ended up going for 4 riken cargo winter 195/70R15 105. I've done 100mile on them now and they are better than I expected. Really quiet and I'm using noticeably less fuel. The van even changes gear better and I'm using less revs when setting off. Driving on the motorway is now perfect. I ended up paying £32 a corner (trade). Thanks for all your help again.
#ichoosefreda
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:00 pm

Duane126 wrote:Morning all. I ended up going for 4 riken cargo winter 195/70R15 105. I've done 100mile on them now and they are better than I expected. Really quiet and I'm using noticeably less fuel. The van even changes gear better and I'm using less revs when setting off. Driving on the motorway is now perfect. I ended up paying £32 a corner (trade). Thanks for all your help again.
Thanks for the feedback, and what a great price. Non trade price for Riken seems to be similar to Avon Ice Touring. Was there a particular reason you opted for Riken (which seem to get good reviews, though I find the online review scene bewildering!).

Really interesting to hear the Rikens have improved MPG, gear changes etc. Out of interest, what brand/size/load rating were the tyres you took off as it may help others avoid getting them!
BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Post by BongoBongo123 » Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:05 pm

As I do not drive currently in the snow I will be going for a European "A rating" wet grip tyre when I come to get new tyres for the Bongo. These will likely be Continental, Michelin or Dunlop. I put 215/65/15 in for some options.

http://www.mytyres.co.uk/cgi-bin/rshop. ... able_2nass

I don't drive in snow so don't see the point given rain is the most dangerous conditions I drive in typically.

I have never heard of Riken tyres before, I am glad you like them though.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:53 pm

BongoBongo123 wrote:As I do not drive currently in the snow I will be going for a European "A rating" wet grip tyre when I come to get new tyres for the Bongo. These will likely be Continental, Michelin or Dunlop. I put 215/65/15 in for some options.

http://www.mytyres.co.uk/cgi-bin/rshop. ... able_2nass

I don't drive in snow so don't see the point given rain is the most dangerous conditions I drive in typically.

I have never heard of Riken tyres before, I am glad you like them though.
I think many of us don't plan to drive in snow and ice but sometimes.....

I bought my Avons on recommendation on here and because additionally I wanted to improve my chances of getting out of muddy fields plus wanted good grip in the wet. They seem to work well on all these fronts, hopefully the Rikens will be similar [-o<
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Fri Dec 04, 2015 2:07 pm

Sorry to say, but 195s are below spec for the rear.

You may have an issue with insurance if you have to claim.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Fri Dec 04, 2015 2:48 pm

Bob wrote:Sorry to say, but 195s are below spec for the rear.

You may have an issue with insurance if you have to claim.
Surely they're not that bad are they? Maybe advise the insurer in case?
scanner
Supreme Being

Post by scanner » Fri Dec 04, 2015 2:59 pm

Duane126 wrote:Morning all. I ended up going for 4 riken cargo winter 195/70R15 105. I've done 100mile on them now and they are better than I expected. Really quiet and I'm using noticeably less fuel. The van even changes gear better and I'm using less revs when setting off. Driving on the motorway is now perfect. I ended up paying £32 a corner (trade). Thanks for all your help again.
But as Bob says, why did you go for undersized tyres on the rear?
I note the load index is high enough, but they are a narrower profile than specified for the rear axle.
That is something a particularly picky insurance company might take issue with in the event of a claim.
Duane126
Junior Bongonaut

Post by Duane126 » Fri Dec 04, 2015 9:56 pm

scanner wrote:
But as Bob says, why did you go for undersized tyres on the rear?
I note the load index is high enough, but they are a narrower profile than specified for the rear axle.
That is something a particularly picky insurance company might take issue with in the event of a claim.
75% of braking is done at the front so i cant see 2cm off the rear being a problem. I will ring the insurance on Monday morning and ask them. I will keep you updated.
#ichoosefreda
Duane126
Junior Bongonaut

Post by Duane126 » Fri Dec 04, 2015 10:00 pm

mikeonb4c wrote:
Thanks for the feedback, and what a great price. Non trade price for Riken seems to be similar to Avon Ice Touring. Was there a particular reason you opted for Riken (which seem to get good reviews, though I find the online review scene bewildering!).

Really interesting to hear the Rikens have improved MPG, gear changes etc. Out of interest, what brand/size/load rating were the tyres you took off as it may help others avoid getting them!
Hi Mike. I went for the Riken due to the look of the tread, bit more on the edges. plus they are Mud and Snow unlike the Avon. I cant remember the brand of tyre i took off but they had a 91 load rating :|
#ichoosefreda
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Fri Dec 04, 2015 10:48 pm

Thanks for updating us.

Day to Day I would completely agree, but well worth checking they're happy with it.

Handy perk getting that price. 8)
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Sat Dec 05, 2015 12:37 am

But, as Scanner asks, why not just get the right size?

Just a thought.
scanner
Supreme Being

Post by scanner » Sat Dec 05, 2015 1:40 am

Mine originally had 195/70 van tyres on all round and it handled like a camel in soft sand.

215/65 all round transformed it.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Sat Dec 05, 2015 10:47 am

scanner wrote:Mine originally had 195/70 van tyres on all round and it handled like a camel in soft sand.

215/65 all round transformed it.
Camels are designed to handle well in soft sand? :shock: #-o :lol:

Return to “Bongo Chat”