Cat Flap - PLEASE DO NOT DELETE

Anything non-technical about the Mazda Bongo Friendee van

Moderators: Bongoplod, aitch

Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Re: Cat Flap - PLEASE DO NOT DELETE

Post by Northern Bongolow » Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:25 am

its not just a cut and trim the edge job as the panel is hollow, it is 2 ally sheets with strengtheners every so often, if you cut in the position as in the pic geoff shows you need to put in a box section in each half to give strength to the edges and give you something to fix the trim panels to.

top tip time.
dont use a jig saw to cut the panel in half as it is double skin thin ally and your blade will wander all over either top or bottom skin and maybe make them different, use an angle grinder or similar this cuts straight and doesnt grab the fabric it melts it as it cuts. :wink:
chipvan
Supreme Being

Post by chipvan » Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:05 am

It's a shame about hosting pictures , is there no way round this ? Could be why Facebook is more active
chipvan
Supreme Being

Post by chipvan » Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:17 am

8)
cobbdu1
Bongonaut

Post by cobbdu1 » Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:42 pm

Northern Bongolow wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:25 am its not just a cut and trim the edge job as the panel is hollow, it is 2 ally sheets with strengtheners every so often, if you cut in the position as in the pic geoff shows you need to put in a box section in each half to give strength to the edges and give you something to fix the trim panels to.
I’ve managed to source some aluminium U-channel. 300mm vase with 20mm sides, 3.5mm thick. Will this still need reinforcing further? If so, are you able to tell me how I would do so please?

Return to “Bongo Chat”