Vehicle Excise Duty For Bongos

Anything non-technical about the Mazda Bongo Friendee van

Moderators: Bongoplod, aitch

wise-child
Bongolier

Re: Vehicle Excise Duty For Bongos

Post by wise-child » Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:05 am

I've looked at other debates in this site re VED but I'm still confused/concerned....

If vehicles can't be 'de-registered' back to an MPV but the campervan units were not present when the vehicle was purchased [and us ignorant 1st time buyers are generally not aware of such legal complexities], and if seats have been placed back, are we legal or not if we don't fit in permanent kitchen units etc? I'd planned to use my mobile camping kitchen unit and portable cooker to retain versatility.
It's a wise-child that knows it's own parents.....
francophile1947
Supreme Being

Post by francophile1947 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:57 pm

I would think you may well be illegal :( . Best contact the DVLA for clarification and, if it is illegal, get the naughty dealer you bought it from to get it sorted :twisted: . As it stands, you clearly do not have a campervan, but an MPV, and it will probably be liable to a much higher road tax.
John
(Evidence that intelligent life exists in the universe, is that it hasn't tried to contact us)
wise-child
Bongolier

Post by wise-child » Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:32 am

I bought privately via an ad placed on this site....
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:49 am

As Franco said, it shouldn't be difficult to resolve.

Contact your local DVLA office, they really are helpful these days, and just ask what you need to do.

(Having dealt with the old 'Ministry' for work I really was pleasantly surprised when I last had dealings with the DVLA.)

If it does look like a massive rise in VED say, "Thankyou, I think I'll put the conversion back".

You're unlikely to have probs as the most basic conversion looks like a 'Camper'.

Another thought, you could even phrase it, "If I were to remove the conversion...".
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:06 am

This link, from this Forum, might help:

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/Ow ... DG_4022054
sonofpincher

Post by sonofpincher » Sun Apr 25, 2010 2:59 pm

I have seriously considered buying a Bongo to pull our caravan, with much encouragement from Forum users- thanks- but, but, I as well as others going down this thread, am very confused over the VED which applies to these old vehicles. Two experienced Dealers have told me "the Bongo is fitted with an age-related UK plate, and is as old as the date of manufacture, and the VED is around £200, or the norm for an old vehicle which does not have a CO2 figure attached to it" However, the advice on this thread is that the age of the Bongo on its new V5, will be when it is first registered in the UK, and if it is just a standard vehicle (i.e. not a Campervan- which mine would not be), it would be allocated a CO2 figure which put it alongside a 4x4 RangeRover! So-- before I buy, what year of Bongo manufacture should guarantee me the lowest rate of VED? Help, please, you must all be Taxing them out there.
dandemann8
Supreme Being

Post by dandemann8 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:27 pm

I run a 2.5 V6 on a 99 plate and my tax is £190 for twelve months. :D :D I have electrics installed but no conversion. :D :D
Bongo no more........... ;-(
wise-child
Bongolier

Post by wise-child » Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:00 pm

If it helps, I have a 2L 2001 Bongo [Recorded on the V5 as a campervan] which I've just retaxed [Old tax disk expires end April 2010]and it cost me £205.
BONGOCONGO

Post by BONGOCONGO » Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:07 pm

I have just renewed the VED disc for my 2003 2l petrol Bongo registered as a campervan today . Cost me £205
bongobev
Bongolier

Post by bongobev » Sun May 23, 2010 10:50 pm

BONGOCONGO wrote:I have just renewed the VED disc for my 2003 2l petrol Bongo registered as a campervan today . Cost me £205
BONGOCONGO wrote:I have just renewed the VED disc for my 2003 2l petrol Bongo registered as a campervan today . Cost me £205
Just got my renewal for my 2002 2l petrol bongo registered as a PLG. Cost is £205 for the year.
No mention of emissions on the registration certificate and it was registered in this country last december :?: Who pays £400? Would that be the PLG 2.5l?
Alison01326
Supreme Being

Post by Alison01326 » Sun May 23, 2010 11:04 pm

Taxed my unconverted 2.5 diesel Bongo at the end of March for £190 (ie before road tax went up to £205 in the budget). It's R reg (1998), registered in the UK in 2008 as an MPV.
Alison

The traveller sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see. (G K Chesterton)
bongobev
Bongolier

Post by bongobev » Sun May 23, 2010 11:23 pm

I read that any unconverted vehicle registered in the uk after April 2009 and less than 10 years old going through the SVA test (or whatever its called) would be subject to an emissions test which would show on the V5 and would have to pay about £400?
Dr.Jekyll

Post by Dr.Jekyll » Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:44 pm

:shock:
wise-child
Bongolier

Post by wise-child » Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:27 am

Hopefully my worries are resolved at a reasonable price. My Bongo was registered as a campervan but sold to me as an MPV. I managed to buy a small mid kitchen unit from a BF member and fitted it last night, so I'm now technically legal - phew!
beachguild
Bongonaut

Post by beachguild » Sat Aug 21, 2010 12:23 pm

I have just imported a 2000 (will be W reg and is over 10 years old - just :roll: :roll: ) V6 which has not been converted (so should be registered as an MPV not a camper van) through Algys Autos. The tax on that for 1 year is £205 so it looks as if vehicles over 10 years old still fall into the default category and this stuff about taking the age for tax purposes from the date it was actually imported / registered is not correct. Hopefully that clears up a few questions at least.

I looked it over last week at Hallen Imports and it looks immaculate - it didn't look like the roof had ever been up!.
Dave Lewis
Transit Driving Bongoer

Return to “Bongo Chat”