Vehicle Excise Duty For Bongos

Anything non-technical about the Mazda Bongo Friendee van

Moderators: Bongoplod, aitch

missfixit70
Supreme Being

Re: Vehicle Excise Duty For Bongos

Post by missfixit70 » Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:16 pm

Being paid for along with the scrappage allowance with the increase in fuel tax?
You can't polish a turd - but you can roll it in glitter.
trevd01

Post by trevd01 » Fri Apr 24, 2009 5:48 pm

Ian - I think the intention was going to be £200 from April 2009.
But from your first post in this topic ...
Ian wrote: And that’s it. Until it changes again.
#-o
And they did change it.

So in this year's budget it has been announced that pre 2001 cars VED is going up £15 in April 2010 to £205

http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/news/nol/sha ... ra_307.pdf

(p166 and 167 if anyone's interested)

I'm just trying to work out whether our new Murvi has gone down from £185 to £125 because it it EURO IV/V compliant...
technophobe
Tribal Elder

Post by technophobe » Fri Apr 24, 2009 6:05 pm

The AA says: The annual rate for cars registered before March 2001 and with an engine size larger than 1,549cc will increase by £5 to £190 for 2009/10 and then rise to £205 in 2010/11.
Still not sure, but whatever we will pay more next time we renew.
Oh well! Don't let them spoil your enjoyment of the Bongo - just go out more :shock: :lol:
Richard & Jo

1995 SGL5 Black over silver clear windows
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Sat Apr 25, 2009 1:24 pm

Just paid ours to 30-04-10 and it was still £185 on line, paid on 23/4/09.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
00Bongo

Post by 00Bongo » Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:05 pm

hi everyone,

quick question as i have read the whole thread and would just like some confirmation that what i am thinking is right.

i have just bought a 1999 v6 which was imported as a tin top by JAL. i have had a mushroom roof put on and a mid convert in the back.

he has emailed me asking if i want it registered as a camper or an 8 seater.

now if i get it registered as a camper (as this is what it will be used for and has all the fixtures and fittings required) will i be paying the £185/£200 yearly tax?

cheers

rich
Travis

Post by Travis » Fri Oct 09, 2009 4:51 pm

Rich

Did you get a reply to your question, as I have a similar query?

Travis
Ian
Supreme Being

Post by Ian » Fri Oct 09, 2009 5:34 pm

If it is registered as a camper you will pay the lower tax band. If it is October 99 onwards, and registered as a standard vehicle you will pay the higher rate.

Remember; once a vehicle is registered as a campervan, it can not be de-registered back to normal car status. And it will affect your insurance, probably by more than the tax savings.
668. The Neighbour of The Beast.
Rhod
Tribal Elder

Post by Rhod » Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:20 pm

At last renewal it was cheaper for me to insure the Bongo as a campervan than as a standard Bongo :)
96' Green AFT 4WD / BMW R100GSPD
scanner
Supreme Being

Post by scanner » Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:16 pm

Rhod wrote:At last renewal it was cheaper for me to insure the Bongo as a campervan than as a standard Bongo :)
Yes, I've found the same as well.
Travis

Post by Travis » Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:41 pm

Sorry to ignite this old topic again but...

I have my side converted kitchen bongo insured as a Bongo camper and my tax renewal came through today classing it as a PLG (£190 a year).

Am I covered by my insurance if I have a crash or get the van stolen?

Am I likely to have to mt bongo crushed by the DVLA?

Am I legal in other words?

Travis
Distilled Waters Run Deep
Bongolier

Post by Distilled Waters Run Deep » Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:45 pm

"Remember; once a vehicle is registered as a campervan, it can not be de-registered back to normal car status."

-I just told them that the car had obviously been mis-registered as a motor caravan by the importer, as it has clearly always had 8 seats & was sold to me as an MPV, & I sent the V5 back for replacement. I wonder if they subsequently hit him for the extra import duty he should have paid?
Whatever, it was £185 to tax the last time.
Freda AFT: Haydn/Mason alarms + engine head temperature sensor.

Moto Guzzi California Jackal X reg
Rhod
Tribal Elder

Post by Rhod » Sun Oct 11, 2009 8:46 pm

Travis wrote:Sorry to ignite this old topic again but...

I have my side converted kitchen bongo insured as a Bongo camper and my tax renewal came through today classing it as a PLG (£190 a year).

Am I covered by my insurance if I have a crash or get the van stolen?

Am I likely to have to mt bongo crushed by the DVLA?

Am I legal in other words?

Travis
The short and unhelpful) answer is that I'm not sure :roll: I have a factory fitted Cube kitchen unit & the Bongo came into the country registered as a PLG. My understanding is that this is the correct classification, since the Bongo in this configuration is essentially an MPV that happens to have a single burner kitchen unit added, and not a vehicle with permanent living accomodation. I think that there is a Factsheet that clarifies what a vehicle has to have fitted in order to be classified as a Campervan/Motorhome by DVLA.

At insurance renewal time last year, the insurance company suggested that the premium could be reduced if it was classed as a Camper.
96' Green AFT 4WD / BMW R100GSPD
FK Mon Sta

Post by FK Mon Sta » Wed Nov 25, 2009 1:35 pm

Wow, I've just read the whole thread and I'm confused to say the least!

I'm doing my research, and looking into getting a bongo imported, and have found this site fantastic, apart from the fact Ive spent days if not weeks reading through the forums and trying to get ideas of what I want to do. But, I wonder if someone could help clarify, as I will specify to the importer the age of the vehicle I want, depending on this RFL criteria...(amongst other things!)

It seems that registration means when it was registered in UK, not date of manufacture. How come 97's then are in the lower band? To qualify for the lower band do I need to get a 98 or older? Surely if a 95 was imported now, registered in the UK it will be considered a £405er as 2009? Is there a year of manufacture when they start to mention CO2 on the Mazda paperwork?

(If I get it converted following the advice I understand the lower rate applies...but I won't be able to afford that for a few years yet, even longer if I've got to spend £405 per year on tax!!!)

Sorry to be a dunce and ask these questions when I'm sure you all have had enough of the subject but I just don't get it, and the more of the links I follow the more confused I get! Please help...

Ta, Frith
wise-child
Bongolier

Post by wise-child » Mon Mar 22, 2010 5:13 pm

HELP!
I bought my 1st Bongo [2L AFT petrol, manuf March 2001, imported Nov 2009] just over a week ago via this site and have received the V5C in today's post. I'm concerned as it states that it is a 'motor caravan' with 5 seats but it was sold to me as an 8-seater MPV and though some of the documentation given to me shows a 'camping unit' there is certainly not one I can identify in the vehicle, just 8 seats and a removable table. Being new to this game I didn't know there was a problem as all other checks were fine. The vehicle itself is immaculate so that side of things is not an issue.
There is no problem with my insurance band as far as I know but I am most concerned about when I go to tax it next month, or if I get stopped beforehand, in light of your 'crushing' comments!
What is the best 'fix' to keep me legal?
It's a wise-child that knows it's own parents.....
Colin H F
Supreme Being

Post by Colin H F » Mon Mar 22, 2010 5:55 pm

Hi when I was shopping around looking for my bongo I was asking about the taxation classes and was told by one dealer (no names mentioned ) that a kitchen unit would be in it to get it taxed at the lower rate but would then be taken out again [-X [-X [-X
prior owner of >>>>1999 2.5 diesel ex tin top &FORD FREDA 2000 2.0 LTR PETROL

Return to “Bongo Chat”