Thinking of first car

Anything non-technical about the Mazda Bongo Friendee van

Moderators: Bongoplod, aitch

Elf machine
Apprentice Bongonaut

Thinking of first car

Post by Elf machine » Mon Jan 22, 2024 10:14 pm

Hi I have been looking at alot of bongos since there size and it would be great for kids in the back do you recommend them for a first car
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Re: Thinking of first car

Post by g8dhe » Mon Jan 22, 2024 10:20 pm

Well it was my first vehicle! However it might depend on the age of the kids, as child seats can be a problem to fit these days as very few have the ISO fittings. Also it might depend on your age as if its not converted as a camper then the number of seats puts the insurance costs up a lot!
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Tue Jan 23, 2024 12:28 am

Welcome aboard. 8)

All depends…

Your age, location, normal mileage - is this for a long commute, or just family holidays? By today’s standards they are thirsty.

Bear in mind they are all getting on a bit, good ones are out there, but there’s a lot of rust to be found if you’re not careful.

Don’t want to put you off, but caveat emptor. :wink:
Bongolian
Junior Bongonaut

Post by Bongolian » Wed Jan 24, 2024 2:34 pm

As has already been said, it really depends on your requirements/ use.
I typically advise new drivers to choose something small & cheap to run.
My daughter, a single girl at the time, choose a Kia Picanto which proved both frugal and mechanically bulletproof, plus it already bore the scars of a previous newbie driver, so she wasn’t too precious about it and simply concentrated on becoming a good driver, however when my wife passed her test she jumped straight into our Renault Espace (was all we had), and both survived perfectly happily.
Personally, my Bongo is used as an additional vehicle. It’s very handy for carrying multiple people, hauling larger loads, and camping / overnight stops, it’s a proper Swiss Army Knife of a vehicle.
But, I wouldn’t choose one as daily transport simply as there’s far cheaper options, (I’ve always preferred to use a motorcycle whenever possible anyhow, rain or shine).
However, Bongos do drive surprisingly easy, much more car like than many large vans, plus they’re deceptively small, parking and navigating tight spaces is rarely an issue.
I find I drive differently in the Bongo, it’s a more chilled and enjoyable journey in many ways as I know there’s little point trying to break any lap records (probably a good thing for a new driver).
If you want low costs and don’t need the flexibility, then look for something else.
If you have the need, and/or desire just ‘because’, (and are happy with the cost implications), go for it.

Return to “Bongo Chat”