Key stuck in ignition .. but not always

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

stevethebongocat
Apprentice Bongonaut

Key stuck in ignition .. but not always

Post by stevethebongocat » Sun Jun 02, 2019 12:44 pm

After a short drive my Bongo refuses to allow me to remove the key from the ignition. I can turn it one step anti-clockwise but not the second (key releasing) step. However, after a longer drive (say 30+ miles) Bongo does allows me to remove the key. It seems that this problem might be temperature related - when the engine reaches normal operating temperature I can get the key released. Also, the key is more likely to be released in the summer than in the winter. Weird. Has anyone else experienced this, or have any idea on a permanent solution ?
jimmo62
Bongolier

Re: Key stuck in ignition .. but not always

Post by jimmo62 » Sun Jun 02, 2019 1:17 pm

I believe you need to be in Park to remove the key and there is a mechanical interlock. Could be the interlock cable and/or mechanism needs looking at?
stevethebongocat
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by stevethebongocat » Sun Jun 02, 2019 1:25 pm

Thanks for that. I'll mention it again to the local Bongo garage when it has its MOT in the next week or two. They did manage to sort it out but only for a couple of days and then things returned to normal. They are puzzled as to why a hotter engine temperature should make a difference to the key release mechanism but it most certainly does.
jimmo62
Bongolier

Post by jimmo62 » Sun Jun 02, 2019 4:15 pm

The interlock is I believe via a cable from the gear selector lever which sits on top of the engine so maybe that is also getting hotter and something is sticking/expanding etc?
RustyDays
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by RustyDays » Sat Mar 14, 2020 2:26 pm

This brilliant forum! Quite correct, take off centre console and give cable that comes out of underside of gear selector to the right a wee touch, 'click' from ignition & out comes the key! Mind, followed half an hour of concentrated swearing before reading the Forums.
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Sat Mar 14, 2020 2:27 pm

The swearing will have 'loosened' it. :lol:

Welcome aboard. 8)
PizzaBongo
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by PizzaBongo » Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:50 pm

Hey apologies if this has been answered somewhere else but I have a question regarding the stuck key issue as I have my first Bongo MOT coming up!

I've had this issue with a key a few times and I used to be able to wiggle the button on the gearstick out with my hand and it would then let me turn the key to realise. But recently this trick stopped working so I found that the same way that RustyDays mentioned above did the job. Just click towards the ignition and BAM the key comes out! This is great for short terms but does anyone know how I can fix this long term? I'm afraid this will cause my precious Bongo to Fail MOT :(.

I've tried spraying with WD40 but still no luck. Do I need to put the seats up and look for this cable by the gearstick and tighten the cable or something?

Return to “Techie Stuff”