1996 vs 1999 (4wd) dilemma

Anything non-technical about the Mazda Bongo Friendee van

Moderators: Bongoplod, aitch

LauraLloyd
Apprentice Bongonaut

1996 vs 1999 (4wd) dilemma

Post by LauraLloyd » Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:05 pm

Hi Bongobuffs,
I'm considering buying my first bongo. I need 4wd as I live up an exceptionally steep hill!
So.. I'm trying to choose between a 1996 bongo (30K on the clock) and a 1999 one (60K on the clock). Same price. I read that 1999 was a 'new generation' - I have no idea what that means - does it mean less metal parts to rust or what?. Could you help me figure out what the factors to weigh up would be? I know that the 1999 might be aesthetically slightly flashier but since I want the vehicle to be my daily family car as well as for camping I'm only really interested in functionality, longevity, reliability etc - not really trying to impress anyone!
Thanks for any advice!
Laura
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Re: 1996 vs 1999 (4wd) dilemma

Post by mikeonb4c » Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:44 pm

Hi and welcome. 30k is a remarkably low mileage for such an old Bongo - do you know how it comes to be so low and can it be verified. Its probably actually better for a Bongo to have had a bit more engine exercise over the years and the diesel is actually young at a much higher mileage than that (mine feels young at 140k miles!). Your big thing to look out for is rust, especially if the Bongo is not recently imported but has lived in UK for some years. The age difference between the two Bongos is not that great compared to the overall age of both and the fact that some environments (seaside for example) are more corrosive than others. Later model is cooler in some ways but the Bongo is a classic design either way I think and earlier models can have avantages such as (in some cases) the much desired split seats and (if you like them, and I do) untinted windows. Also manual aircon which may give less trouble as it ages than climate control. Some say the build quality is better on earlier models but I wouldn't bank too much on that, though later model diesels have more complicated (and expensive to fix, allegedly) fuel pumps and possibly also variable vane turbos (also more expensive, but I'm not sure they do have variable vane turbos so hopefully a techie on here can correct me on that.
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:22 pm

Welcome aboard Laura.

I agree with Mike's points, and I would say buy the one in the best condition, particularly regarding rust.

The rear arches and cross member are particular places to check. :wink:
LauraLloyd
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by LauraLloyd » Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:05 am

Thank you so much you two. That is hugely helpful.
They are both with JAL so look from the underside photos to be rust free at present and fairly newly imported (though the price reflects that fact - ouch!). Do you have any direct experience with that dealership to add?
Bests,
Laura

Can't wait to BonGO
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:33 am

Ours came from Phil almost 10 years ago and I'm still very pleased with it.

You will pay a bit more from a dealer but phil keeps his overheads as low as sensible by not having a fancy (expensive) town centre showroom and I found him pretty fair.

Don't be surprised to be taken to a hidden barn to view the motors. :wink:

Some say he can be a little pushy but presonaly I didn't find that at all, but I did know exactly what I wanted and he got it for us. 8)

I'm sure either Bongo will be fine from him. :D
windywatson
Tribal Elder

Post by windywatson » Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:13 pm

Hi, both vans are same price but one is 3 years younger. Don't forget that when you talk about the distance they have covered, that from Japan the vehicle will have distance in Kilometers. The newer vehicle is only 30k more in distance covered which is only 18,000 miles which is nothing in the scheme of things as these vehicles soak up the miles with ease. Both of mine are 100k plus miles & running well. Even if the seller has qouted thier actual distance in miles the 30k isn't to much to worry about. Vehicle components do deteriate with age as well as mileage, so the older may seem a good buy because of low mileage but its age is a factor not just distance driven.
Best of luck, you will enjoy which ever you decied on I'm sure of that.

Cheers
Windy-Watson
2001 V6 Tin Top
Tony x
Tribal Elder

Post by Tony x » Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:27 pm

Yep. Later diesel has variable vein turbo and, along with a different ecu ( I belive) makes 5hp more than the pre face lift model.
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:14 pm

Reading that I'd go with the simplicity of the older one. 8)
Tony x
Tribal Elder

Post by Tony x » Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:16 pm

Yes. The simplicity of the older model is a strength. The variable vein turbo has close tolerances and a decade or two of carbon build up can cause problems (although it can be cleaned by spraying stuff into it whilst running )
Likewise the fly by wire complexity of the later diesel is, in my view, unnecessary.
So I guess that's a vote for the older model then.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:24 pm

...and i certainly don't find my older diesel Bongo lacking in pulling power. It really is a very comfortable and confidence inspiring engine especially when cruising between 50-80mph
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:58 am

Agree with you on pulling power Mike.

Nothing to do with the lovely women who want to date you because we have classic Bongos, but Mrs B's new caravan is 1600 kgs and our Ferdinad de Bongo doesn't seem to mind lugging it around. 8)

Low down torque is just brilliant.
LauraLloyd
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by LauraLloyd » Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:16 am

Guys, thank you so much for posting. I really do appreciate having the Bongo-owners' view!

Just one more thing - Anyone live or know a mechanic who knows Bongos in the Worcs area?

Before buying or committing to one, Phil at JAL is concerned that I get it checked and verified (which is a good idea, plus he doesn't want to start putting a roof on only for us to change our mind when we actually see it). Makes sense, but the problem I have is that I'm currently in Berlin and can't get over to view the 2 Bongos we've narrowed the search down to.

We've contacted a couple of local mechanics to see if they could view them on our behalf but this is proving tricky as they are reluctant to leave their garage and don't know Bongos very well so don't know what they are looking at.

So do any Bongo lovers out there have any advice on how we could find someone who knows a bit about Bongos who could view them on our behalf. I'm sure there are Bongo owners out there who are more familiar and experienced with the vehicles than a lot of mechanics.

Is there any one out there in the Worcs area or anyone who knows anyone who could help us get the 2 vehicles checked over (rust, general condition etc)?

If you'd prefer to discuss over email my husband's address is
[email protected] but anyone who knows anyone- it would be amazing if you could hook us up. It's the JAL Inkberrow site in Worcestershire. Many thanks to anyone who can help, Christian and Laura
Last edited by LauraLloyd on Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
LauraLloyd
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by LauraLloyd » Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:20 am

And Bob - you say yours came from JAL 10 years ago (that's so encouraging) - what year is yours from?
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:14 am

1996 Diesel 4wd AFT.

Black/silver, currently 180,000 kms and called Ferdinand de Bongo after the old BBC 2 series 'The Staggering Stories of Ferdinand de Bargos'. 8)

Mechanic suggestion on your other thread. :wink:
rita
Supreme Being

Post by rita » Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:47 am

I would imagine that the easiest and most reliable way to get these vehicles checked out is an AA or RAC etc Inspection.

Good Luck.

Return to “Bongo Chat”