MOT failure codes

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

bongobearett
Bongonaut

MOT failure codes

Post by bongobearett » Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:48 pm

my bongo failed today on the following points, any one have a rough idea on what this means rough cost

gutted

offside front outer Suspension component mounting prescribed area is excessively corroded sill (2.4.A.3)
offside rear Suspension component mounting prescribed area is excessively corroded (2.4.A.3)
nearside rear Suspension component mounting prescribed area is excessively corroded (2.4.A.3)
Bongolia
Supreme Being

Re: MOT failure codes

Post by Bongolia » Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:52 pm

Could be anywhere they are a bit vague the failure texts ( generated by the device not the tester) however they may have marked them with yellow crayon.
Got any images?
bongobearett
Bongonaut

Post by bongobearett » Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:31 pm

at work have a look tomorrow thanks
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:12 pm

Might be worth asking the tester for an opinion. :wink:
bongobearett
Bongonaut

Post by bongobearett » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:12 pm

all we were told was it had failed, no time to speak left to deal with a receptionist, customer service is appauling garage we used for years owner passed unexspectly , trying to find some where . we wont be using it again thats for sure .
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:38 pm

Don't blame you, that is very poor service. :(
Tessie
Bongolier

Post by Tessie » Sat Feb 18, 2017 5:17 pm

bongobearett wrote:my bongo failed today on the following points, any one have a rough idea on what this means rough cost

gutted

offside front outer Suspension component mounting prescribed area is excessively corroded sill (2.4.A.3)
offside rear Suspension component mounting prescribed area is excessively corroded (2.4.A.3)
nearside rear Suspension component mounting prescribed area is excessively corroded (2.4.A.3)
I was told by my (friendly =D>) MOT tester that If there is corrosion within 30cm of any suspension mounting, braking parts mounting or seat belt mountings then that is an MOT fail [-X . I think that might be what is meant by the 'Suspension component mounting prescribed area' above, i.e. there is corrosion within 30cm of the stated suspension mounting points.

With luck it might be an easy and not too costly repair if it just some patch welding needed in accessible areas [-o< . Have a good look around the suspension mountings and see if you can find any corrosion within 30cm, that is about 12 inches for us oldies. Good luck.
Never run out of road, traction and ideas at the same time.
Bongolia
Supreme Being

Post by Bongolia » Sat Feb 18, 2017 6:17 pm

bongobearett wrote:all we were told was it had failed, no time to speak left to deal with a receptionist, customer service is appauling garage we used for years owner passed unexspectly , trying to find some where . we wont be using it again thats for sure .
Tessie is absolutely correct.
There are several structural components in those areas so It might be worth having a look underneath and see if he has marked them with crayon, that is the recommendation from DVSA it is only a recommendation however.
You could take it back to him and ask that he mark the areas or at least point them out to you.If he refuses complain to your local DVSA office, the testing stations number is on the VT30.

With structural fails like this it is important to make sure you use a good repairerr and not necessarily the cheapest.
There are lots of ways that time can be clipped from a welding job, not treating the underlying areas against re-corrosion or worse, not repairing any underlying structural rot uncovered to name a couple.

As far as the tester is concerned during the retest,because it will likely be covered in underseal, he will not be able to judge the quality of the repair unless it is particularly shoddy.
bongobearett
Bongonaut

Post by bongobearett » Sun Feb 19, 2017 2:26 pm

cheers we going to have a look, also going to call and complain about their customer service, local garage who got a great rep for welding book it in their cheers
bongobearett
Bongonaut

Post by bongobearett » Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:59 pm

went to see the owner of the garage today, apologised for 150 to get van passed welding needed . happy with that explained new boy got working with him he doesn't like speaking to people.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:10 pm

I would now undertake a thorough review of what quality cutting out and welding might be needed regardless of what might be the minimum to get through mot. Glad you're sorted.
bongobearett
Bongonaut

Post by bongobearett » Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:03 pm

we already have
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:08 pm

bongobearett wrote:we already have
Apologies. I was thinking your 150 might mean £150 which if so would buy very little quality welding. I was imagining substantial rust in several key places.
bongobearett
Bongonaut

Post by bongobearett » Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:06 am

no substantial rust had it cheaked over 2 small patches about size of a 10p. we have maintained van well since we have got it. we want to get it treated and re sealed, we do every year
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:34 am

bongobearett wrote:no substantial rust had it cheaked over 2 small patches about size of a 10p. we have maintained van well since we have got it. we want to get it treated and re sealed, we do every year
Glad its sorted. My advice would be to get it thoroughly looked over by someone who knows Bongo weak spots, if you plan to keep it for some time. I daresay other 10p size holes may be lurking :wink:

Return to “Techie Stuff”