Locks and Alarms

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Tom_B
Bongonaut

Locks and Alarms

Post by Tom_B » Mon Sep 26, 2016 3:18 pm

Hi All,

Obie Bongo went up to Glasgow and got broken into. As well as breaking in and stealing stuff a fire was started so this weekend was dismantling burn bits (not too bad the fire was spotted quickly, its a bit of the drivers seat and the cab carpets and the cab headlining that needs replacing) and cleaning everything as you can imagine. Smoke damage.

So while I was doing all of that I was reflecting on how to avoid the break in again. What does the colony think is sensible and possible in terms of upgrading lock? the existing ones aren't terrifically sturdy and seem to be vulnerable to a screwdriver.

An alarm is a next step - what are the experiences/recommendations? is it possible to upgrade to a sturdier lock?

thanks,

Tom
1996 AWD 2.5 Oil Burning, Slushbox, Stylish bullbars, AFT White & Silver.Unconverted. Aircon!

Alan2016
Bongonaut

Re: Locks and Alarms

Post by Alan2016 » Mon Sep 26, 2016 4:51 pm

Wow that's a really grim experience. I've no recommendations for you unfortunately, just sympathy. Hopefully someone a bit more useful will be along soon!

Alan
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Mon Sep 26, 2016 5:04 pm

Really rotten luck. :(

Can't speak on upgrading the locks but I use a Disklock on the steering wheel.

Won't keep scum out but makes it difficult to drive away.
Gasy
Supreme Being

Post by Gasy » Mon Sep 26, 2016 5:42 pm

We have extra security locks put on our work vans
They still went through both side door locks and cleared out £3000 worth of my tools in less than 10 mins

I had parked, crossed the road ( Kentish high St london 11am )
Knocked on door got a signature turned round and crossed back over road to me van
And thought whys me side door handle on the path ( carnt have been hit by car on the path side )

As the van which had parked in front drove off

So don't bother with extra locks
Loud alarms and deterrents like steering wheel locks and nothing left on display

I'm going to put a real loud master blaster klaxon inside my bongo one day ( make there ears bleed )
Gas safe heating engineer / plumber if you need any advice just shout.
Tom_B
Bongonaut

Post by Tom_B » Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:42 pm

I was thinking about blanking off all except one of the existing locks and fitting an alarm with keyless entry.
1996 AWD 2.5 Oil Burning, Slushbox, Stylish bullbars, AFT White & Silver.Unconverted. Aircon!

nth
Bongolier

Post by nth » Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:07 pm

What area of Glasgow was it out of curiosity ?

Agreed, additional locks not much point, the windows are still made of glass.
Better investing in an alarm, the brand is not too important as the basic features are pretty much the same, what is important is how well it is fitted. A Thatcham Category 1 alarm offers a minimum standard of features like a battery back up siren & is also an immobiliser too. Again though, the best cat 1 alarm on the market is worthless if poorly fitted.
I have a Toad Ai606, It has all the features you would expect from a cat 1 alarm plus extras like the option to add additional toys like pagers, window closer modules, guide me home lights etc.
95 2.5d 4WD AFT
Bongolia
Supreme Being

Post by Bongolia » Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:09 pm

What about a smoke bomb like they use in banks and security vans, fills the vehicle with dense smoke and doesn't leave a residue.
Just dont forget to disarm it tho :oops: .
roosmith
Tribal Elder

Post by roosmith » Tue Sep 27, 2016 9:12 am

Bongolia wrote:What about a smoke bomb like they use in banks and security vans, fills the vehicle with dense smoke and doesn't leave a residue.
Just dont forget to disarm it tho :oops: .
Ha, I've thought of this a few times, as I work in the security trade, I've had a few old working ones been removed from site but the trouble is they are so big and the old ones give off a residue, so you don't get away scot free, it'll need a really good clean afterwards. As with all things they are getting smaller and less residue with each update however they are fooking expensive new! (oh and they need a constant 240v to keep the heaters warm)

Gasy's idea of a master blaster is the best one if you can find one of the old ones on ebay. Again make sure its a 12v one. The new ones purporting to be master blasters aren't the same and due to new directive that you can't damage an intruders hearing (diddums!) are a lot quieter. The old proper ones, in a space the size of the Bongo would probably make you physically vomit. I've been close on a couple of occasions when accidentally setting one off in a warehouse!
Vivaro named Stewart however ex '96 4wd 2.5TD owner.
Bongolia
Supreme Being

Post by Bongolia » Tue Sep 27, 2016 3:30 pm

Well what about an enormous dog then?
rita
Supreme Being

Post by rita » Tue Sep 27, 2016 4:23 pm

Bongolia wrote:Well what about an enormous dog then?

Good Idea, the crooks would probably get a good price for your dog.

:lol: :lol:

Return to “Techie Stuff”