Motorhome requirements: the table

Anything non-technical about the Mazda Bongo Friendee van

Moderators: Bongoplod, aitch

ktsok
Junior Bongonaut

Motorhome requirements: the table

Post by ktsok » Wed May 18, 2016 9:30 am

Dear all,

Does anyone know if the table that flips down on the bench seat meets the DVLA requirements for a fixed/fold down table for the purposes of registering as a motorhome, or do I need to install a side rail and detachable table arrangement?

Many thanks!

Katie
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Re: Motorhome requirements: the table

Post by g8dhe » Wed May 18, 2016 9:48 am

The word s they use are below, I can't see an individual back of the seat table meeting the requirements!;
a seating and dining area, permanently attached to the vehicle. The table may be detachable but must have some permanent means of attachment to the vehicle. It is not good enough to have a loose table
The full requirements are here https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... orhome.pdf
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
teenmal
Supreme Being

Post by teenmal » Wed May 18, 2016 12:01 pm

Your best bet is to contact DVLA with a photo of the seat/table and an explanation of how it works. It is defiantly permanently attached to the vehicle, more so than a rail with a couple of self tappers holding it in place.

If you also send photos of the exterior of the vehicle preferably with the Roof Up (if relevant)this will be in the vehicles favour. Basically they have the rules for panel vans being converted to camper/day vans.
winchman
Supreme Being

Post by winchman » Wed May 18, 2016 7:34 pm

The Bongo left the factory with Factory Fitted seats that convert from seats to a table and also a bed so i would just tell them that.
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Wed May 18, 2016 8:47 pm

Worth trying! Its just that the spec. says a seating and Dining area with a fixed table.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
ktsok
Junior Bongonaut

Post by ktsok » Thu May 19, 2016 9:44 am

Yes, I checked the DVLA requirements but wondered if someone had firsthand experience of it. Well, I'll give it a whirl and make the seats look as table-like as possible in the photos! I'm also designing a rear side kitchen that can act as a table top with the rear seats acting as a bench for sitting, so there are a couple of options.
That's a push for the DVLA requirements too - I'm planning on using my CampingGaz double stove but sinking it under the table top so it flips up level with the table top when you open the cover, if that makes sense. Means I can remove it and cook outside if I want without too much faffing.
rita
Supreme Being

Post by rita » Thu May 19, 2016 11:58 am

Katie, just out of interest can I ask you why you want to register the vehicle as a motorhome, and does it have a AFT.

Good luck.
ktsok
Junior Bongonaut

Post by ktsok » Thu May 19, 2016 7:27 pm

Hi Rita,

I have been asking myself the same question. Yes, it has an AFT. Partly I want to for the fun of converting it, but also the insurance, MOT, perhaps tax, should be cheaper, and better contents insurance I hear.
winchman
Supreme Being

Post by winchman » Fri May 20, 2016 6:19 am

My insurance went from £1000 to about £250 by fitting a rear kitchen, its still registered as an MPV though
rita
Supreme Being

Post by rita » Fri May 20, 2016 9:18 am

ktsok wrote:Hi Rita,

I have been asking myself the same question. Yes, it has an AFT. Partly I want to for the fun of converting it, but also the insurance, MOT, perhaps tax, should be cheaper, and better contents insurance I hear.

The MOT and Road tax are the same for MPV and Motor Caravan , and if you are paying anywhere near £1000 you need to change your Insurance Company/Broker.

I have a AFT that is registered as a Motor Caravan and it doesn't have as much as a dish towel in it.

Return to “Bongo Chat”