Buying Advice

Anything non-technical about the Mazda Bongo Friendee van

Moderators: Bongoplod, aitch

stevlor
Bongonaut

Buying Advice

Post by stevlor » Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:57 pm

Hi guys,

I know you probably get these type of questions all the time, but having never spent over £800 on a vehicle before, I thought I'd ask before parting with 5k!

I've test driven two Bongos - one of them has all the specs I was after - manual, 4wd, no conversion, diesel and low(ish) mileage (80,000 mile), however when I took it out there was a knocking sound, and it just didn't feel as nippy as the other one at all. The garage selling said they would put a new MOT on it, and that the knocking sound was anti roll bar bushes worn out which they would fix. Looking at previous work done, it has had over 4k spent on it, including head gasket - but is that a good or a bad thing?

Second Bongo wasn't exactly what I was after - automatic, higher mileage (115,000 mile), but seemed quieter and nippier than the one above. Again garage said they would put new MOT on it, Should I go on feel?

Thanks for any advice :)
Muzorewa
Supreme Being

Re: Buying Advice

Post by Muzorewa » Thu Apr 28, 2016 1:04 pm

Assuming they're both diesel, the manual should feel nippier than the auto as the manual is lower geared.

How many miles has the first one done since the head gasket change and did they get to the bottom of why it blew in the first place?

Are they from the same garage? What warranty are you getting?
Jillygumbo
Supreme Being

Post by Jillygumbo » Thu Apr 28, 2016 1:04 pm

I would suggest you add your location to your profile and ask if there's anyone that could possibly visit the bongos with you!

Also, ask for any service and work done history for each bongo.
Jillygumbo, Tonto & Ruca
The night conceals the world, but reveals the universe!
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Thu Apr 28, 2016 1:13 pm

Good tips above, also read the 'Buying a Bongo' info which is on here somewhere.

Is the garage listed on the list of 'Bongo Friendly' ones or do they just happen to have a couple in part ex?
cmm303
Supreme Being

Post by cmm303 » Thu Apr 28, 2016 2:18 pm

Nowt wrong with "feel" as an input to your decision but needs to be accompanied by more objective examination of these old vehicles. Some of their weaknesses may not be immediately apparent to the casual driver. Personally I don't trust car dealers especially for Bongos (a few very trusted Bongo dealers excepted) so suggest you get a techie mate to go with you. Either could browse this forum to familiarise with the Bongo's weak points. If you can't take a techie at least you'll have a better idea of what to look for yourself.

It is very rare that only a head gasket goes, normally a head as well. Furthermore, usually there is an underlying problem that caused overheating which in turn damages the head. So I would get almost forensic about the work it has had, especially as it does not drive well. £4k is a lot of work even for a Bongo!

As you are probably finding, manual Bongos are much less common so I'm afraid you will have a lot less choice.
Chris with BertieB
'96 White unconverted AFT 2.5L Diesel 4WD
winchman
Supreme Being

Post by winchman » Thu Apr 28, 2016 5:42 pm

Try and find a dealer we know on here as that will give you piece of mind.
Buy the one that drives the best and is in the best condition.
I drove two both drove very well, but one had a rust hole in the roof and looked like a tramp lived in it.
Having a new head is no issue, but you really need a low coolant alarm
stevlor
Bongonaut

Post by stevlor » Sat Apr 30, 2016 6:55 pm

Thanks for all your help everyone. I'm in Leeds, I don't know if anyone else is?

They are two different garages, one had 5 or 6 bongos in, and the other had just one. I think you have confirmed my suspicions with 'feel', I'm also seeing one tomorrow morning from a private seller - I know more of a risk, but instead of 5k he's asking for 2k, so even if something does go badly wrong it's not as bad. Neither garage is on the bongo friendly list, unfortunately there doesn't seem to be one in Yorkshire.

Will let you know re tomorrow's viewing, fingers crossed as I can't be without a car for too much longer!
stevlor
Bongonaut

Post by stevlor » Sun May 01, 2016 3:25 pm

Went to see the other one through a private seller today. Seller didn't speak much English but for £1400 it seemed ok, has no paperwork for repairs but did pass its mot only this week. Big bit of rust on rear wheel arch though - is that fatal? Would you recommend paying more and getting something a bit less sketchy?

https://goo.gl/photos/toqkGD6yXuSB4cHs8
steviebongo
Tribal Elder

Post by steviebongo » Sun May 01, 2016 5:01 pm

I've been lookin for one also and at that kind of money that's wot u get I'm afraid there just rotten ,and I've seen converted aft's cheaper than unconverted !

Cheers stevie
stevlor
Bongonaut

Post by stevlor » Sun May 01, 2016 6:50 pm

Yeah, I thought so. As a car newbie can I ask a naive question: is that kind/amount of rust really that bad?
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Sun May 01, 2016 7:12 pm

That is a fairly bad arch.

It isn't terminal, about a grand to get both sides done, BUT, if there are no receipts for other work goodness know what's hiding.

MOT is only a safety check, not a service or sales inspection.
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Mon May 02, 2016 3:55 am

Hi
I understand the logic in buying "bangers", driving them for a year or two and throwing them away..it makes a lot of sense and cheap motoring, but if you intend to lash out on a "keeper", I'd go round a few Bongo bodyshops to see if they have any clients with repairable vehicles that are coming up for sale, and vehicles in your budget...that way you'll eliminate the threat of expensive repairs later. There are a fair few honest traders that will be able to help or recommend you another trader....but you'll have to travel. Regarding mechanical issues, it's pot luck, but the worst job is a cylinder head or fuel pump , which will cost a packet (£1500.00 plus for a DECENT head, and £500.00 plus for a fuel pump) . Buy one that's unconverted, as they'll be a few grand less, then get some camping stuff later!....
Good Luck
Cheers
Helen
In the beginning there was nothing , then God said "Let there be Light".....There was still nothing , but ,by crikey, you could see it better.
stevlor
Bongonaut

Post by stevlor » Tue May 03, 2016 11:37 am

I think I can knock him down to £950 as there's no paperwork - I'm pretty tempted by that, even if I had to have some work on it, would still be cheaper than the £5k midels I was looking at before. Does that sound like ok logic to everyone else here?
teenmal
Supreme Being

Post by teenmal » Wed May 04, 2016 10:44 am

stevlor wrote:Went to see the other one through a private seller today. Seller didn't speak much English but for £1400 it seemed ok, has no paperwork for repairs but did pass its mot only this week. Big bit of rust on rear wheel arch though - is that fatal? Would you recommend paying more and getting something a bit less sketchy?

https://goo.gl/photos/toqkGD6yXuSB4cHs8
Yes does have a bit of wheel arch on the rust, not many MOT testers would pass a vehicle with dangerous body work.
cmm303
Supreme Being

Post by cmm303 » Wed May 04, 2016 12:41 pm

stevlor wrote:I think I can knock him down to £950 as there's no paperwork - I'm pretty tempted by that, even if I had to have some work on it, would still be cheaper than the £5k midels I was looking at before. Does that sound like ok logic to everyone else here?
You can hardly go wrong for that so long as the vehicle checks out legit, its MOT history is good, it isn't about to fall apart, its head and fuel pump are in good order. Any reasonably decent Bongo with evidence of some tlc will fetch at least £2.5k. So with £1k for the arches plus the cost of a comprehensive service (cambelt, coolant and all oils changed etc) and you' should still be able to cover your money. Oh, and get a year's fun!
Chris with BertieB
'96 White unconverted AFT 2.5L Diesel 4WD

Return to “Bongo Chat”