Newbie on line....fridge/battery?

Questions & answers about kitchen units, stoves, fridges, heaters, water tanks, seats, mattresses etc etc.

Moderator: Doone

Sammyvan
Apprentice Bongonaut

Newbie on line....fridge/battery?

Post by Sammyvan » Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:00 am

I've just purchased a 1997 bongo. The Waeco fridge works well on electric hook up and off it but the leisure battery does not work or connected. The water pump does not work and the zig ????? No idea. Therefore, whilst parked up with no electric hook up I do not want to put the fridge on as I believe it'll drain the main van battery.....am I correct?
Also, is there any point in getting a new zig/leisure battery if I don't want a water pump???? Or would it allow fridge to work whilst off hook up?

:P :P loving my new van
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Re: Newbie on line....fridge/battery?

Post by g8dhe » Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:07 am

How do you know the LB isn't working / connected ?
Do you have a Split Charge Relay to charge when travelling from the alternator ?
Do you have an additional wiring loom plugged into the original fuse box by the drivers knee ?
Which Zig unit do you have ?
Do you have a manual for the Zig if not then they are available to download here http://www.g8dhe.net/bong_images/zig/
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
Sammyvan
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Sammyvan » Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:56 am

The lb is sitting under the bonnet with no connections to anything else and looking very old.
I have no idea if I have a split charger or even which zig? Don't know what a wiring loom is.
As you can read....I know not very much at all....this is all new to me and I'm not mechanically or electrically minded.
Ian
Supreme Being

Post by Ian » Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:51 am

It might not be a leisure battery. Have a look inside the Bongo on the dash. Do you have the button shown on the right in this photo?

If so, you have a cold start kit and the second battery under your bonnet is a second starter battery.
668. The Neighbour of The Beast.
John_H
Bongonaut

Post by John_H » Tue Apr 05, 2016 3:18 pm

Sammyvan wrote:The lb is sitting under the bonnet with no connections to anything else and looking very old.
I have no idea if I have a split charger or even which zig? Don't know what a wiring loom is.
As you can read....I know not very much at all....this is all new to me and I'm not mechanically or electrically minded
Maybe a few pics might help you find things ... a basic Zig unit looks similar to this:
You may have split charger relay lurking somewhere between your main and leisure battery, it will be in the positive (red) cable and look looks similar to this:
This is a basic split charge circuit, you can see the SC relay in the centre.
If you sit in the drivers seat, look at the dash (roughly in front of your right knee) for a small pull-out panel. Behind this are the fuses. If yours has wires sticking into it (like the pic) then it's pretty likely that you do have a leisure battery and it's wired to run items from it when the ignition is off.
Hope this helps
cmm303
Supreme Being

Post by cmm303 » Tue Apr 05, 2016 4:46 pm

Sammyvan wrote:The lb is sitting under the bonnet with no connections to anything else and looking very old.
As you can read....I know not very much at all....this is all new to me and I'm not mechanically or electrically minded.
Pop some pics up here of any pertinent controls/switches/systems you have. Also looking down inside your bonnet to pick up both batteries and their wiring. Also of the fuses by the driver's right knee.

Were these electrics demonstrated to you when you bought it and did you get any instructions?
Got any receipts/paperwork for the conversion or electrical work?
Could you go back to the seller and ask them how to make it work?

It sounds like you have 2 starter batteries (SB) and they have disconnected the 2nd SB instead of replacing it. There will be tell tale wiring that your pics will show hopefully to confirm.
Chris with BertieB
'96 White unconverted AFT 2.5L Diesel 4WD
Sammyvan
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Sammyvan » Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:56 am

Wow....thank you. I'll get looking and photographing when the rain stops
John_H
Bongonaut

Post by John_H » Fri Apr 08, 2016 4:41 pm

Sam sent me the pics of his vehicle as he couldn't post them himself. Here they are:
Image Image Image Image Image I would guess that the extra (disconnected) battery may have been a cold start battery. Either way it doesn't look very healthy. However, it won't cost to remove it and check it over. There's nothing connected to the under dash fuses so my guess is that the fridge is wired to the starter battery (that looks like a fuse holder to me in the 4th pic) Not sure what to recommend - what drain the fridge has on 12v, maybe the Waeco model might help. I think I'd be inclined to get someone who has a little knowledge of campervans/motorhomes to have a shufti at it. It sounds like it's got EHU so where's the input and the regulator/charger I wonder. So hard to make guesses!!
Sammyvan
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Sammyvan » Sat Apr 09, 2016 11:22 am

Thank you John for posting photos and the advice. (P.s. I'm a female Sam). I will contact a garage that's been listed on this website who is bongo friendly In my area and see what they can do. :D
John_H
Bongonaut

Post by John_H » Sat Apr 09, 2016 5:58 pm

:oops: sorry, Sam. bad gender guess ...
Rather than visit a garage, you might find another bongolier on your doorstep if we knew (roughly) the area you reside in, then maybe someone from here could take a look for you.
Sammyvan
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Sammyvan » Sun Apr 10, 2016 11:28 am

Hi, thanks. That would make more sense as I know there's plenty of "enthusiasts" out there who'd love to tackle the old wonders to be discovered under the bonnet of the 1997 Japanese import.
I live near Guildford, Surrey.
John_H
Bongonaut

Post by John_H » Mon May 02, 2016 3:42 pm

Hi Sammy ... Did you get anyone to take a look at your electrics yet?
Sammyvan
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Sammyvan » Tue May 03, 2016 10:34 am

No one has come forward from Bongofury but am in contact with a private autoelectric guy but am concerned if he has experience of old Bongos. I've emailed a garage too.
Crossed fingers I get somewhere soon as I'm hoping to go to France in august

Return to “Campervan Conversions in Bongos”