Hardknott Pass in the snow

If you are going away somewhere and don't mind meeting up with other Bongo owners or if you've been somewhere & want to tell us about it & stick up your photos, put the details here.

Moderator: Jillygumbo

BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Re: Hardknott Pass in the snow

Post by BongoBongo123 » Mon Dec 21, 2015 1:22 pm

g8dhe wrote:Could have done with some in Dec 2009!
That's a good coating. I like a bit of snow... for about 1 day then it just gets dangerous all round on foot or in cars, living on a steep hill here and you get to see how silly people really are. Out in their car no winter tyres sliding around and abandoning cars and vans in the road.

The problem with the south UK is there is absolutely no consistency. You can see 3-4 years with no snow then a crazy covering. Places that expect it every year understandably cannot accept life grinding to a complete halt so we have a very odd state of affairs here which catches us out and causes a lot of grief and misery. A set of winter tyes/wheels is not a small expenditure so I can understand the snow tyre choice if you have moderate winter risk of it and or drive in mud a lot.

I will indeed consider them when I change tyres, if I can find a set that offers A rating wet grip.

When that snow does come down though you must have a nice smile knowing you have the snow/winter/all weather tyres in place. Luckily I had brand new summer tyres all round that year with deep tread the last time it snowed. Which helped a lot as we had no choice but to go out to Gatwick to holiday that year and I was glad I had full treaded tyres if not actual winter ones.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Re: Hardknott Pass in the snow

Post by mikeonb4c » Mon Dec 21, 2015 2:05 pm

Dr Fingers wrote:15C in Sussex, nearly Xmas: had Avon Ice Tourers on our 4WD for 4 years, not needed them once :( :( (Although they are great tyres in any weather).

However, heading up to Leeds for Xmas: it has been known to snow a bit up there. :D

Derek
That's what I like about the Ice Tourers - they feel great in the wet anyway. Snow and ice is just a bonus :lol:

Return to “Fancy Meeting up & Bongo Trips”