Heat in the cab from engine

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

novicebongo
Apprentice Bongonaut

Heat in the cab from engine

Post by novicebongo » Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:27 am

Hi,

We have looked a Bongo and drove it after the seller had driven it to meet us. When I drove it I noticed there was quite a lot of heat coming from the handbrake housing and the seating area where my legs rested in the driver seat was warm. I appreciate the engine is housed under the seats, but is it normal that this gets very warm/hot. The front grill was also quite hot, although it was a sunny day. The temperature gauge was OK whilst driving, which was about 25 minutes, some of which was sat in traffic crawling at a junction. It is a 2002, 2.0l petrol, automatic, tin top.

Any advice is gratefully received.

Thanks

Neil
Getcarter
Bongolier

Re: Heat in the cab from engine

Post by Getcarter » Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:35 am

Sounds fairly normal to me. Its a real bonus in winter :D
V6 Tintop with LPG
novicebongo
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by novicebongo » Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:41 am

Ha, didn't think of that :D. Will take it as a bonus. Thanks for the reply.
Diplomat
Supreme Being

Post by Diplomat » Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:18 am

A 2 litre petrol automatic has to work harder so may get a little warmer!

Frank
My schoolmates idolised Biggles, I wanted to be Alcock & Brown
They flew, I took up naturism
scanner
Supreme Being

Post by scanner » Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:29 am

Just make sure all the seals around the engine covers are properly seated and that there are no gaps or creases anywhere that will allow hot air through.
hijimhere
Tribal Elder

Post by hijimhere » Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:35 am

Not to sure but if things get to warm a sensor probe would kick in the "scavenger" fan. Maybe some one can advise how to check it's working!!?? I get the warming up of the tunnel fore sure but don't feel it through the seat.
novicebongo
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by novicebongo » Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:48 am

Thanks hijimhere. It is only on consul, handbrake and the housing in front of the seat where your left leg rests. Think it is OK, but have no experience of Bongos of any vehicle with an engine under the seat. Seems logical that it would do this. Have driven a few, but only locally so never got that warm.
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Sun Aug 10, 2014 2:03 pm

Not really a job for a test drive, but below is extract from manual showing how to test the scavenger fan sensor. As I recall, unplugging the sensor wiring by the handbrake will case the fan to come on to check the motor.

BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Post by BongoBongo123 » Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:26 pm

May I recommend either a low coolant alarm or a temp sensor from Haydn alarms. On Bongos I think they are almost essential bits of kit. They give much needed piece of mind and even if your bongo is running nicely and behaving it will warn you the next time it is not whether thats 6 months or 6 years down the line, potentially saving a lot of money.

I had 1 alarm on a 330 mile journey at 99C but it had been labouring uphill for a long time and then stuck in traffic so was a one off.. then it dropped back down to within a minute or so. I have been finding it runs anywhere between 90C and 99C at the absolute hottest depending on day time (much cooler air temp/flow at night) and engine load/being in traffic jams.

The housing does tend to get rather warm being mid engined.

Worthwhile in my opinion.

Return to “Techie Stuff”