Drop links, another thread

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

hairyneep
Bongolier

Drop links, another thread

Post by hairyneep » Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:48 pm

After noticing a tell tale knocking noise I checked the drop links and sure enough they didn't look well at all so I ordered a set of the Meyle HD ones. Went out today to spray penetrating fluid on the bolts with a plan to do them on Monday once I got my brother in laws 3 tonne jack. What I found was that one of the ball joints on the o/s drop link has separated completely.

As I need the bongo over the weekend I decided to have a go at changing them with the wheels on the ground, nothing to lose, I wouldn't drive it the way it was anyway. It worked surprisingly well, cut them off with a grinder and fitted the new ones in about an hour. Took it for a test drive, everything seems fine and certainly quieter over speed bumps.

So here's my question, am I ok to have fitted them whilst the were wheels on the ground, or is there something I should check? I've still to change the arb bushes but that can wait till I get the jack, they don't seem bad anyway but I've got the new ones to go on.

Thanks
Leon
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Re: Drop links, another thread

Post by Northern Bongolow » Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:48 pm

the front drop link change doesnt need to be on the ground as they have a double ball joint fitting so will always be relaxed. the front and rear antiroll brackets and rubbers and rear droplinks should be done on ramps with the weight on the wheels as they will twist the rubbers if tightened up when the weight is off the wheels then lowered afterwards.

you could do the work on a jack/axle stands then leave them loose,then do the final tightening when the weight is back on.

Return to “Techie Stuff”