Stereo woes

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

uncle monty
Bongonaut

Stereo woes

Post by uncle monty » Mon Jun 09, 2014 4:36 pm

Hi, I have an annoying little issue that just raised it's head. If i have the stereo on for more than about 5 minutes it turns itself off/goes dead and the orange coil/pre-heat light starts flashing, it flashes for about 5 minutes, then goes off. The Bongo runs fine, no loss of power, misfire or any other noticeable issue. I am not good with electrics, does anyone have any idea what the issue might be please? I was advised it might be because my LB was flat however i have since replaced the LB with a brand new one but still having the same problem. Searched a few old posts but not found anything that answers my question.

Thanks,
Jon
Gasy
Supreme Being

Re: Stereo woes

Post by Gasy » Mon Jun 09, 2014 5:38 pm

Has the new leisure battery still got charge in it or flat?
Gas safe heating engineer / plumber if you need any advice just shout.
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:40 pm

Has it always done this or has it only recently started ?
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
uncle monty
Bongonaut

Post by uncle monty » Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:59 pm

g8dhe wrote:Has it always done this or has it only recently started ?
Started a few months back. I checked LB and it was dead, only chucking out 10.5v. Changed to new one but still happening. Only use bongo at weekends so shouldn't have flattened battery but will check tomorrow. Can't think what would be draining it.
hijimhere
Tribal Elder

Post by hijimhere » Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:08 pm

Is the problem still there if you switch the radio off?
uncle monty
Bongonaut

Post by uncle monty » Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:28 pm

It switches itself off. Coil light flashes for a few mins after then dissapears again.
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:55 am

Basically there is no reason for the radio to directly affect the glow plug light if it has been previously working, barring a short having developed somewhere within a wiring loom which is not at all likely!
However the L/B is a common point as it powers both the Radio and the backup supply to the ECU, it does sound very much like a flat L/B type of problem. I think I would look at possible loads on the L/B that your not aware of.
Is the L/B being charged correctly, has something been left plugged into a cig. socket, have any other loads been added recently ?
Geoff
Image Spherical Visions
uncle monty
Bongonaut

Post by uncle monty » Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:06 pm

Ok, checked the LB and it is reading about 12.5v. The starter battery measures about 12.4v with engine off, 14.5v with engine running. I then turned on lights, air con, fan on full blast front and back and the voltage on starter batt dropped to about 12.5, LB stayed at 12.5. Tried to switch stereo on but it wouldn't come on. The unit lights up when you attach the facia, but when the facia is clicked fully into place the display is dead. I am thinking the fault may be with the actual stereo itself, however I want to be sure the LB is charging properly. How do I test for that?
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:25 pm

I'm a little surprised that the voltage fell so low with the full load on, I'm wondering if your alternator is on the edge ?
Not knowing which type of split charge relay you have, stick the voltmeter on the L/B and then start the engine, the voltage may go up to 14.5v straight away (in which case Ignition controlled relay) or if it doesn't leave it running for several minutes if the voltage rises after a short time interval then you have a Voltage Sensitive Relay (VSR). If the voltage doesn't rise after 5 minutes with the alternator running at 14.5 volts you probably have a duff L/B charging circuit!
Start checking by looking for the cable that connects the two +ve terminal together via the relay and a pair of fuses - you should have a fuse close to EACH battery check the fuses and replace BOTH if one has blown.
Geoff
Image Spherical Visions
uncle monty
Bongonaut

Post by uncle monty » Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:44 pm

Thanks Geoff, I will have another loom tomorrow night. I suspect all is not well with the LB charging circuit, it all looks a bit bodged to me. I did check the LB voltage with engine running and it didn't change. I am wondering if maybe I have a belt slipping perhaps that is restricting the charge to the SB when full load on. There is no obvious squeal but could be just starting to slip? What should the s
Starts battery drop to with full load? Not as low as 12.5 I guess?
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:13 pm

Not as low as 12.5v no, it could be a bit less than say 13.6v but not below 13 volts, the alternator can supply 90Amps which is well above 1Kw if required !
Geoff
Image Spherical Visions
uncle monty
Bongonaut

Post by uncle monty » Mon Jun 23, 2014 1:34 pm

g8dhe wrote:I'm a little surprised that the voltage fell so low with the full load on, I'm wondering if your alternator is on the edge ?
Not knowing which type of split charge relay you have, stick the voltmeter on the L/B and then start the engine, the voltage may go up to 14.5v straight away (in which case Ignition controlled relay) or if it doesn't leave it running for several minutes if the voltage rises after a short time interval then you have a Voltage Sensitive Relay (VSR). If the voltage doesn't rise after 5 minutes with the alternator running at 14.5 volts you probably have a duff L/B charging circuit!
Start checking by looking for the cable that connects the two +ve terminal together via the relay and a pair of fuses - you should have a fuse close to EACH battery check the fuses and replace BOTH if one has blown.
Sorry for delay, had another look last night as the problem is getting worse. Stereo now refuses to work at all (but still has power to it), and coil/glowplug light starts flashing after about 5-10 minutes driving and does not stop. The LB stays at 12.5v, doesn't rise at all. I checked it with engine off, then with engine on, then after a good 30 minute run but voltage remained 12.5. Guess I have a knackered charging circuit. Checked fuses, there don't seem to be any on the LB side. On the SB side there is just the black fuse box, those all seem to be ok.

Starter battery measured 12.5v with engine off, 14.5v with engine on, then dropped to 12.9 this time with lights, aircon, etc switched on.

The issue with the stereo i think may just be a coincidence perhaps? It's the other stuff i'm more concerned with now. Going back to basics here, what does the flashing glow plug/coil light actually mean? I have seen another post where someone said it can be to do with the scav fan / temp sensor? When i got back yesterday after 30 mins drive or so, the scav fan was not running. I took the plug off the top of the sensor by the handbrake and the fan came on straight away. Plugged it back in and fan stopped. Is that normal or does it indicate a fault with the sensor or switch?

Finally, just to add to my bad day the bloody central locking stopped working yesterday too! Can anyone tell me where the CL fuse is please so i can check that? Could it be linked with the rest of my electrics melting down...? Getting a bit miffed with it now, don't really trust doing any distance in it until these issues are sorted. :(
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Mon Jun 23, 2014 4:21 pm

Right rather sounds like multipile problems.

Lets leave the stereo out of it for the time being - you may need to check the wiring of the ISO adaptor.

Flashing of the HOLD light means the ECU is reporting a problem - see the factsheets for details of how to get the code out of the system, only on the phone at present so fiddly to give the link.

Central locking, most common problem is the drivers door wiring loom having a fracture in one or more wires at th bottom of the "V" between door and chassis - for the fuses see the wiring diagrams and float the mouse over the green fuse icon for a picture - there are two fuses, one for the control and one for the power.

http://www.g8dhe.net/bwm
Geoff
Image Spherical Visions
uncle monty
Bongonaut

Post by uncle monty » Mon Jun 23, 2014 4:46 pm

Thanks for that. BTW it's the glow plug light that is flashing not the hold light, what does that signify, is it related to the scav fan at all?
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Mon Jun 23, 2014 6:15 pm

Sry I meant Glow Plug light for ECU, the Hold light is for the Automatic Transmission.
Geoff
Image Spherical Visions

Return to “Techie Stuff”