Fridge in hot weather abroad

Questions & answers about awnings, mattresses, and other things to make life on the road more comfortable. This section is for Bongo-specific kit only. No talk about backpacking tents here!

Moderator: Muzorewa

vj3
Bongonaut

Fridge in hot weather abroad

Post by vj3 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:21 pm

Fridge seems to be struggling in the heat here on the continent. Any tips or advice ?
Gasy
Supreme Being

Re: Fridge in hot weather abroad

Post by Gasy » Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:51 pm

If its the same as in my caravan
The old 3 way type which has a liquid gas in
I find if I take it out and turn it upside down for a few mins it works wonders
Apparently they get crystals stuck in the tube which stops the flow
Gas safe heating engineer / plumber if you need any advice just shout.
francophile1947
Supreme Being

Post by francophile1947 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:01 pm

vj3 wrote:Fridge seems to be struggling in the heat here on the continent. Any tips or advice ?
It would help to know what type of fridge it is :?
John
(Evidence that intelligent life exists in the universe, is that it hasn't tried to contact us)
winchman
Supreme Being

Post by winchman » Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:02 pm

If its totally silent in operation its a absorbtion fridge that uses ammonia as the refrigerant the advantage being its totally silent often used in mini bars for hotel rooms.
If so it will only cool X amount below the ambient temp, so make sure the fins on the back are dust and fluff free and check the ventilation instructions, if its still poor try the tip above of turning it upside down, I tend to leave them overnight though.
If its a compressor fridge you will hear on turn on and off and its the same really they will cool a bit more but the upside down trick wont work.
hembramacho
Supreme Being

Post by hembramacho » Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:32 pm

We've got a Waeco 12v compressor fridge and over the last 3 summers in France have found probably a similar issue. As it was running off the LB, which was constantly being charged with a CTEK charger, we found that it was taking more power from the LB than the charger could put back in. This meant the compressor was running quite hot most of the time, and the fridge would constantly shut down as there wasn't enough juice always in the LB to keep it running. We took all this from the fact it was usually in the mid to high 30s in temp and we were constantly in and out if the fridge to get stuff in and out (usually drinks). Therefore the fridge was running most of the time as the door was always being opened.
Not sure if your situation is the same, but we're currently in France and have a better system in place.
Waeco fridge in bongo - now running off mains rather than LB, meaning no cut outs and also only has food in. Therefore only needs opening a handful of times during the day.
In awning, top loading camping fridge, also running of mains, with all the drinks in (loads of bottled water plus the odd vino/French beer). Top loader = more efficient.
This setup is working heaps better. :D

Not sure if this helps, but though some might benefit from our experiences.

Cheers

Andrew
ImageGwlad, gwlad, pleidiol wyf i'm gwlad.Image
vj3
Bongonaut

Post by vj3 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:57 pm

Seems to be sorted now. Turned it down a notch and took some advice from
The Internet and got a fan going in the van to keep it cool and get air flowing.
I had also got the PMS controls switched wrong ! Am a dufus !!!!!!!!!

All ship shape and Bristol fashion now xxx
Thanks for all the advice.

BTW is a vitrifrigo elec compressor fridge x

V

Return to “Bongo Camping Equipment”