tent or campervan

Questions & answers about awnings, mattresses, and other things to make life on the road more comfortable. This section is for Bongo-specific kit only. No talk about backpacking tents here!

Moderator: Muzorewa

entity
Bongonaut

tent or campervan

Post by entity » Sat May 25, 2013 10:22 pm

Hi all this is going to be our first trip in the bongo but we are having trouble booking a campsite, do we class the bongo (unconverted) as a car and tent or a campervan and awning. the bongo has no cooking or water storage but has a elevating roof for sleeping. The tent connects to the bongo making it an awning, awnings relate to caravans or campervans/motorhomes. We have seen some lovely campsites for tent only but what do we class the bongo as ?
thanks Dave
briwy
Supreme Being

Re: tent or campervan

Post by briwy » Sat May 25, 2013 11:00 pm

Probably best to ask the individual campsites. They all seem to have their own rules which can vary considerably.
Where do you sleep, in the tent/awning or in the Bongo? If in the tent/awning I would consider it a car and tent. If in the Bongo maybe a campervan.
francophile1947
Supreme Being

Post by francophile1947 » Sat May 25, 2013 11:12 pm

If your awning is really a tent, then book it as such - it saves paying extra for an awning 8)
John
(Evidence that intelligent life exists in the universe, is that it hasn't tried to contact us)
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Sat May 25, 2013 11:19 pm

Sometimes to avoid the whole 'Mazda what...?' thing when phoning a campsite, I usually tell them we have a camper van which is a bit smaller than a VW. I usually tell them that we have a small pop up awning too.
alan
Supreme Being

Post by alan » Sun May 26, 2013 3:03 pm

entity wrote:Hi all this is going to be our first trip in the bongo but we are having trouble booking a campsite, do we class the bongo (unconverted) as a car and tent or a campervan and awning. the bongo has no cooking or water storage but has a elevating roof for sleeping. The tent connects to the bongo making it an awning, awnings relate to caravans or campervans/motorhomes. We have seen some lovely campsites for tent only but what do we class the bongo as ?
thanks Dave

If it a tent only then go for car and tent as your not got a conversion .
and other it s acampervan with awning
take it easy drive a bongo
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Sun May 26, 2013 8:23 pm

Just be sure they let you park the 'car' alongside the 'tent' and you're not in a tents only field etc.
levon
Bongonaut

Post by levon » Sun May 26, 2013 8:53 pm

If booking over the phone and the owners/managers seem savvy then I explain its a Bongo unconverted with awning "tent". If booking online or they seem a bit "un-savvy" then I just book as a tent and car. So long as you've got a pitch then they can haggle once your there if they don't like it.

Happy camping.
the laird
Supreme Being

Post by the laird » Mon May 27, 2013 2:30 pm

I've an eight sweater unconverted its classed as far as I'm concerned as an Mpv with a stand alone/driveaway awning ,never had any probs from any sites
cujimio
Bongonaut

Post by cujimio » Mon May 27, 2013 4:01 pm

We have been stung big time recently, so it may be a good idea that once its all up you double check the price with them as we were confronted on leaving about not paying enough.
Sharon & Jimi

Laughing is good exercise, it's like jogging on the inside! :-) ;-)
DILLIGAF
Bongolier

Post by DILLIGAF » Tue May 28, 2013 12:46 am

I just book for MPV and a tent, no probs so far. [-o<
being a philosopher, i have a problem for every solution.
notlob
Bongolier

Post by notlob » Tue May 28, 2013 1:55 pm

cujimio wrote:We have been stung big time recently, so it may be a good idea that once its all up you double check the price with them as we were confronted on leaving about not paying enough.
I certainly wouldn't be using that site again!!

All the sites I've used have been fairly laid back about this. I normally use the same tactic as mentioned previously of explaining its a small VW size camper and awning (mines an unconverted 8 seater)

Anyway, gotta go now as just off to Red Bank Farm on Morecambe Bay for a couple of nights (£6 per adult and £3 per kid - I can cope with that sort of charging policy!)

Dave

Return to “Bongo Camping Equipment”