How should a fridge be wired up?

Questions & answers about kitchen units, stoves, fridges, heaters, water tanks, seats, mattresses etc etc.

Moderator: Doone

juvenilekipper
Junior Bongonaut

How should a fridge be wired up?

Post by juvenilekipper » Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:21 pm

Hopefully a quick question around leisure and vehicle battery, zig unit and fridge.

I have a converted freda and have been looking round it to get my head round how everything works. Well I'm a little confused to say the least.

The fridge is wired directly to the vehicle battery, I thought it would be wired to the leisure battery. That is why I had a flat battery when I tried to start the engine after being away for a couple of nights and wasn't on an electric hook up. But then reading the zig unit manual it is correct to be wired directly to the vehicle battery, this just does not seem right to me.

Does anyone have any thoughts?
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Re: How should a fridge be wired up?

Post by Simon Jones » Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:20 pm

It would help to know what model of Zig unit you have & which convertor did the camper conversion. It is very easy to flatten both batteries with a Zig CF8 by leaving the switch in the Touring position as it connects both batteries in series.
juvenilekipper
Junior Bongonaut

Post by juvenilekipper » Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:46 pm

It is a CF8 and 321-Away did the conversion.

Another one is that the vehicle battery isn't directly connected to the zig (across terminals 1 & 2 I think) it has a thick cable connecting the vehicle battery to the leisure battery. I assume this is to charge the leisure battery from the vehicle when running and vice versa to charge the vehicle battery when on site.
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:40 pm

If the thick cable, is direct from battery +ve terminal to battery +ve terminal with nothing else in the cable then it isn't a leisure battery as such, its the dual battery arrangement used for cold starting on Bongo's coming from Northern Japan.

If there is a box / relay in the cable then there should be two cables one from each battery going to the Zig unit the Starter battery conected to Terminals 1&2 and the L/B connected to 3 & 4.

If you need a manual for the CF8 then a PDF copy is here http://www.g8dhe.net/bongo_images/zig/Z ... %20PDF.pdf
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions

Return to “Campervan Conversions in Bongos”