Tour de France 2013 in a Bongo

Questions, tips & observations about taking your Bongo over the water.

Moderator: g8dhe

PeterF
Apprentice Bongonaut

Tour de France 2013 in a Bongo

Post by PeterF » Sat Jul 21, 2012 4:27 pm

2013 will see the 100th Tour de France. Will Wiggo defend his maillot jaune? Any other Bongonauts fancy following some stages of next year's race in their vans? See:

http://www.facebook.com/TourDeFrance2013InABongo :D =D>
alimey
Bongolier

Re: Tour de France 2013 in a Bongo

Post by alimey » Sat Jul 21, 2012 4:52 pm

I haven't seen that much of the tour because I have spent all my time looking out for a Bongo there. Has anyone seen one? Fabulous tour - can't wait to take my Bongo along to see a tour in the future.

Might keep my dogs on a lead though . . . .
francophile1947
Supreme Being

Post by francophile1947 » Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:37 pm

Be a bit hard to pedal a Bongo uphill :lol:
John
(Evidence that intelligent life exists in the universe, is that it hasn't tried to contact us)
alimey
Bongolier

Post by alimey » Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:15 pm

Not if you are Wiggo or Froome.

Anyway - my Bongo is an Aero - that's gotta be good for the time trial . . .
billymansell
Bongolier

Post by billymansell » Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:40 pm

Next year the route is meant to be anti-clockwise but from what I've seen of the early plans for the route it starts down south, Nice, Canne, the Pyrenees, the Alps and on to Paris. The official route won't be out until later this year.

Will Bradley be defending his title? It may depend on the route as to whom Team Sky decide is the team leader but whatever the organisers decide Team Sky have strength in numbers and in all the disciplines - they've raised the bar of professional cycling and confounded their critics.

I hope Froome is rewarded with being team leader in a Grand Tour and can take a win in the Vuelta this year or the Giro next year.
The all black 2.5 V6 - "looks more like a pimpmobile than a playbus"
PeterF
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by PeterF » Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:42 am

2013 Tour will start on Saturday 29 June in Corsica, where the first three stages take place. It then moves to French mainland for next stage starting from Nice.

http://www.letour.fr/2012/TDF/COURSE/us ... _2013.html

Check out this FACEBOOK page =D> :

http://www.facebook.com/TourDeFrance2013InABongo?ref=hl
hembramacho
Supreme Being

Post by hembramacho » Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:35 am

We're thinking of trying to catch the last stage in Paris, depending on when schools break up.

Cheers

Andrew
ImageGwlad, gwlad, pleidiol wyf i'm gwlad.Image
birtybongo

Post by birtybongo » Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:29 pm

Just got back from following Le Tour in our bongo managing six stages in total. Saw at least 3 other bongos out there including one almost at the top of the Croix de Fer. Fantastic this year being able to stay at the side of the road in Matilda instead of being on campsites at our near start/finish in a tent as in previous years. Great seeing so many Brits this year - roll on 2013
=D> :D
PeterF
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by PeterF » Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:32 pm

@ birtybongo: Do you plan to Bongo-follow Le Tour next year? Would you like to share some tips with fellow Bongonauts?

And if you're into Facebook, would you care to like

http://www.facebook.com/TourDeFrance2013InABongo
Last edited by PeterF on Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nick65
Supreme Being

Post by Nick65 » Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:34 pm

It's like watching ITV with all those repeats :lol: :lol:
birtybongo

Post by birtybongo » Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:14 pm

First tip is to look out for the basic tour stages announced in October each year. This will then give a basic idea of which stages you particularly want to see. If wanting to see a mountain stage, especially a summit finish, then I advise getting there to find a good position a couple of days before as they tend to get pretty crowded. Actual routing and times are published in June so it,s worthwhile getting the official tour guide and using this to plot routes again to pick good spots. Make sure you have flags and flagpoles, all the French and Belgians do, lots of beer and enjoy mixing with all the different nationalities you meet. Remember, the best thing about a bongo is that it can fit into those small gaps that big motor homes can't meaning you can sometimes get a prime spot. Most of all enjoy the atmosphere, this was our 4th time but by far the best. :D

Return to “Going Abroad”