France at last!

Questions, tips & observations about taking your Bongo over the water.

Moderator: g8dhe

GRAHAM1978

France at last!

Post by GRAHAM1978 » Thu May 17, 2012 2:02 pm

Well what a week we have had.

A week before we go touring France our Cambelt snapped and caused all sorts of damage. Valves, camshaft, Rockers etc etc etc

Good news is I have pulled in some favours and it is now purring like a kitten!

Eurostar booked for Saturday morning and we hope to do the below route over a 3 week period

Calais - Reims - Troyes - Dijon - Annecy - Cannes - Montpellier - Limoges - La Rochelle - Brittany - Normandy - Calais

We have a fully converted AFT 4WD 1996. 2 Adults and 1 dog travelling.

Has anybody done a simalar trip and if so could you recommend any campsites/places to see?

Also would you recommend booking campsites as we have yet to do so?

Sorry one more question. To Toll or not to Toll?

Thanks Guys and Girls
briwy
Supreme Being

Re: France at last!

Post by briwy » Thu May 17, 2012 6:25 pm

Either of these websites will work out the toll rates for you.

http://www.viamichelin.co.uk/

http://fr.mappy.com/#p=itinerary_homepage

And a map showing toll/free motorways.

http://about-france.com/routes-from-calais.htm

We tend to use the N roads in the Bongo. Unless you have a heavy right foot you won't be going much faster on the motorway and you obviously have to pay the tolls.
If we are not in the Bongo then we use the motorways more as the car does about twice the mileage.

Go up the A75 from Montpelier, its free and you will take in the Millau viaduct (have to pay to cross it though)

Nice trip, Annecy is great, hope it goes well.
cookan
Bongolier

Post by cookan » Thu May 17, 2012 7:26 pm

Hi, we travelled clockwise round europe 3 years ago with a 6 month old, 3 year old and 5 year old...rented something a little larger than our current bongo for the 6k mile trip tho ! When we stopped in Dijon, we stayed at a place called Camping du Lac Kir. It was one of our more memorable spots, the guy was the grumpiest person you've ever met in your life ! Not in a negative way from my perspective, just incredibly funny..he looked a little like Gérard Depardieu from my recollection...whenever you had to speak to him, it was like a comedy act...On our second morning I witnessed him make another 'guest' cry over the morning bread order (my french isn't brilliant but I think a baguette was missing).

The site itself was pretty nice for a city camping site, lots of tree cover, fair amount of space from what I recall..toilet block of the concrete variety similar to most. If you need somewhere, I'd vouch for the site..it was safe, clean, friendly (the other campers) and fully functioning plus you get Gerard to add to your travelling stories...

Ant.
1995 M reg 2WD AFT in green/grey (and an Oakley Thermonuclear Protection decal for some reason!)
Nick65
Supreme Being

Post by Nick65 » Fri May 18, 2012 8:08 am

You're gonna lurrrrrrve Montpellier. It is a gorgeous city. The cafe culture is wonderful and the food is superb. Shopping is excellent at Le Polygone and there are popular tourist eats at Antigone.

Make sure you go to the old part of town and visit Le Peyrou, the Cathedral (Which is enormous), maybe Jardin des Plantes if you like Flowers etc or wonder into L'Esplanade and walk around it.

You've got some lovely beaches nearby. Palavas les Flots is very child friendly and if you want to go swimming in the mountains, St. Guilhem le Desert has some vg ones (Pont du Diable).

Grotte de Clamouse is a great place to visit as well. But not if you are not sure footed. (Does that make sense?) Mum discovered it with her brother and the Montpellier 6, many moons ago.

Can you tell that I'm biased towards Montpellier?? Mum was born there, so we used to visit every year to see my cousins, grandparents etc.
Nick65
Supreme Being

Post by Nick65 » Fri May 18, 2012 8:14 am

PS Have a look at the list on top. Very useful tips and ideas
Dr Fingers
Supreme Being

Post by Dr Fingers » Fri May 18, 2012 8:25 am

Be careful of the Languedoc..it's a very hard place to leave !! =D> =D>

Derek
peterrc
Bongolier

Post by peterrc » Fri May 18, 2012 9:37 am

Hi Graham, A trip across the Millau Bridge (pronounced Me yo) is a must. Then there is Carcasonne and a walk or boat ride along the Canal du Midi. Enjoy. I was towing an Esterel folding caravan with a Triumph Stag but still preferred to use the toll roads. Be aware of latest motoring requirements in France. Carry a breathalyser and GPS that shows speed cameras is illegal.
Peter
briwy
Supreme Being

Post by briwy » Fri May 18, 2012 1:54 pm

Don't just go over the Millau bridge, get under it. There is another visitor centre on the south bank right underneath it, awesome.

M 80NGO
Supreme Being
Location: Usually in My own wibbly wobbly lill world ! Otherwise Huntingdon.

Post by M 80NGO » Fri May 18, 2012 4:22 pm

When we Bongo down to limoges to see our good friends we always do an overnighter at this site, t'is beauuuuuurtiful, just south west or paris :wink:

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j& ... s-qRQEERaA

Be sure that you have all the relevant health n safety stuff, 2 x warning triangles 2 x self breatherlizers, Hi Viz for everyone in the car, if le plod stops you for a routeen check and you don't have it all they'll fine you for every item you don't have, french motorists don't carry naff all :roll: but you, the law abidding citizen will get fined :wink:

Oh and if on your eurotravels you go on a train ride AFTER BUYING THE TICKETS GET THEM VALIDATED BEFORE YOU GET ON THE TRAIN. 50 EURO FINE PER TICKET EACH WAY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
monein64
Junior Bongonaut

Post by monein64 » Fri May 18, 2012 6:54 pm

The breathalyser law does not come into effect until the 1st of July, and if you are over before then, you can pick up one time use breathalysers from Leclerc / or other supermarkets for €1 each. Buy more than one as if you do decide to have a drink with friends with no intention of driving they still end up being used to determine if two bottles of Bordeaux really means...yep I am drunk.

also worth carrying spare bulb kit, just incase a bulb goes on route as the Police / Gendarmerie like to pick up on this.
wicksie

Post by wicksie » Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:44 am

Anyone know which bulb kit for a Bongo?
I'm looking at a kit with with the options of
H7
H4
H1 + H7
briwy
Supreme Being

Post by briwy » Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:00 am

These people are the cheapest I can find in the UK.

http://www.frenchbreathalyzer.com/disposable.htm

Only problem is that they aren't available until October and I don't fancy risking it in France without one.

Perhaps Ian could consider a bulk buy as there seem to be enough of us going abroad.

Return to “Going Abroad”