Do we need travel insurance?

Questions, tips & observations about taking your Bongo over the water.

Moderator: g8dhe

miraz
Bongonaut

Do we need travel insurance?

Post by miraz » Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:50 pm

Hi everyone! We're going to Belgium/Netherlands this Easter, then Germany/Austria in the summer. What do people think about travel insurance? We have breakdown cover and are covered for medical expenses on the EHIC card, so is there any point in forking out for an extra travel policy? Does anyone bother with travel insurance or am I missing something? :roll:

Thanks v much folks :D
1995 2.5tdi 2wd Herts
francophile1947
Supreme Being

Re: Do we need travel insurance?

Post by francophile1947 » Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:08 pm

I always take out insurance, if only for peace of mind. The EHIC card doesn't cover various things - see this form the EHIC website:-
What's not covered?

The EHIC is not an alternative to travel insurance. It will not cover any private medical healthcare or costs such as mountain rescue in ski resorts, being flown back to the UK, or lost or stolen property. Therefore, it is important to have both an EHIC and a valid private travel insurance policy. Some insurers now insist you hold an EHIC and many will waive the excess if you have one.Corss icon
John
(Evidence that intelligent life exists in the universe, is that it hasn't tried to contact us)
Velocette
Supreme Being

Post by Velocette » Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:27 pm

I always do. I've only caimed once in 25 years but it gives peace of mind. Last time I got Holiday Insurance and Euro Breakdown cover from Brittany Ferries, quite reasonable and convenient to kill three birds with one stone.

My Dad died of natural causes in Germany were he was supposed to join a Dialysis Cruise so the insurance was invaluable and very efficacious. His premium was four figures though because of his age and medical reasons.
[url]http://germanshepherdrescue.co.uk/[/url]
bandario
Junior Bongonaut

Post by bandario » Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:23 pm

It is cheap and totally worth the money should you ever need it.

I always get it no matter where I am holidaying as it can save you from a ruined holiday or a completely broken bank account.

Source: being close to death in Thai hospitals with the bottom dropping out of my world for a week, all flights covered and I was on my way.
winchman
Supreme Being

Post by winchman » Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:31 am

Its simple you need it.
longhaul8
Tribal Elder

Post by longhaul8 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:24 am

If in doubt take it out :D :D :D Insurance that is :lol: :lol: :lol:
Alison01326
Supreme Being

Post by Alison01326 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:42 am

Yes, you do!!!

We've had an annual travel policy to cover the family (three of us) for several years now through Columbus Direct http://www.columbusdirect.com/Travel-In ... ode=GOVL04 and it is possible to include the camping equipment on it too.

Most people forget about all the trips they make in the UK and only think that travel insurance is for overseas. As I work in the tourism industry, I come across many people who are glad they had their travel insurance for their visit within Britain (and several who are sorry that they didn't). Any pre-booked trip of two nights or more in the UK is covered on our policy and I suspect on most others.

Just get it - better safe than sorry - and enjoy your holidays.
Alison

The traveller sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see. (G K Chesterton)
Nick65
Supreme Being

Post by Nick65 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:15 am

Definitely do it - It's worth every penny.
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:09 pm

hi
I would always say take insurance...BUT...be warned that Bulgaria, for one, may want cash before treatment, and ask you to wrangle with insurers later. Quite a few known instances!. Also, it is common for foreigners here to get really overcharged if the insurers are known not to quibble...Scandinavian tourists get charged more than others , as the insurance companies almost pay up without question.
Cheers
Helen
In the beginning there was nothing , then God said "Let there be Light".....There was still nothing , but ,by crikey, you could see it better.

Return to “Going Abroad”