So, where are you off to this year?

Questions, tips & observations about taking your Bongo over the water.

Moderator: g8dhe

Nick65
Supreme Being

Re: So, where are you off to this year?

Post by Nick65 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:18 pm

billymansell wrote:I'm sure there will be other adventures but my only plan so far this year is for July when I'll be picking up the Tour de France at Boulogne and combine cycling and spectating as I follow it down to the Alps. Will then leave the Tour to spend some time riding up some big mountains, then over to Mont Ventoux before making my way back towards Paris to catch the last couple of stages.
Billy - Are you insane???? VENTOUX????????????????

We sometimes go there just to show people how horrible it can be for somewhere that is so hot.

One year it was 42C at the bottom and -1C at the top.

My wife and I went to Paris (1993 - When Big Mig won) and we came back with an extra 1 in tow - Sue became pregnant and our daughter was born on April 29th 1994.

Le Tour has to be THE Sporting Event. Everyone spends days getting to their stop, have a bit of a party and see the bikes for about 10 minutes, but it is a very special 10 minutes and for anyone who has never been - GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.
billymansell
Bongolier

Post by billymansell » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:02 pm

Nick65 wrote:
Billy - Are you insane???? VENTOUX????????????????

We sometimes go there just to show people how horrible it can be for somewhere that is so hot.

One year it was 42C at the bottom and -1C at the top.

My wife and I went to Paris (1993 - When Big Mig won) and we came back with an extra 1 in tow - Sue became pregnant and our daughter was born on April 29th 1994.

Le Tour has to be THE Sporting Event. Everyone spends days getting to their stop, have a bit of a party and see the bikes for about 10 minutes, but it is a very special 10 minutes and for anyone who has never been - GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.
I probably am insane but it's got to be done. May head up from Sault rather than the traditional route at Bedoin where you get the insane heat through the forest and then strong winds across the lunar landscape.

I remember pictures from last year's Tour of campers at the top of Col de Galibier days ahead of the race and then they were cut off by a snow storm in mid-July! Wasn't planning to park up for a night on a mountain but the Freda will be equipped by then so might do it if I can find a space.

I love getting out on the bike when following the Tour - there's a really enjoyable atmosphere and camaraderie among people that brings a smile to your face.
The all black 2.5 V6 - "looks more like a pimpmobile than a playbus"
stefan442
Bongolier

Post by stefan442 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:25 pm

http://g.co/maps/7bzkx

28 days to do it the places are listed in order we would like to visit.

Im not looking to get it all done, but if we stayed at locations for 3 or 4 days at a time we should be able to get quite a bit done! We can drive though places of interest and look around, maybe even stay over night and leave early next morning for next stop.

I plan on doing this in my soon to be acquired bongo.

This map shows the rough route and distance http://g.co/maps/u83cd

Not too bad id say....

googlemaps is a handy tool for planning this out, one thing i do need to do is find out costs of toll roads? Any links anyone?
Nick65
Supreme Being

Post by Nick65 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:14 am

stefan442 wrote:http://g.co/maps/7bzkx

28 days to do it the places are listed in order we would like to visit.

Im not looking to get it all done, but if we stayed at locations for 3 or 4 days at a time we should be able to get quite a bit done! We can drive though places of interest and look around, maybe even stay over night and leave early next morning for next stop.

I plan on doing this in my soon to be acquired bongo.

This map shows the rough route and distance http://g.co/maps/u83cd

Not too bad id say....

googlemaps is a handy tool for planning this out, one thing i do need to do is find out costs of toll roads? Any links anyone?
Arles and Aix are lovely places. There is a Van Gogh bridge just outside Arles, which I've been dying to go and see, but in Arles itself it is such a wonderful place.
Alison01326
Supreme Being

Post by Alison01326 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:01 am

Nick65 wrote:Me, as usual (Is that good English??) and my family
Since you ask, no, it isn't!! [-X The "as usual" is in the wrong place, and it should be "I" and not "me". If you remove your family from the sentence (rather than the holiday) it should still read correctly. "As usual, my family and I ...." or "As usual, I ..." :wink:

In answer to the proper question, I think we are going to Majorca on an aeroplane :? At least we are if I get around to booking it. Again we are going with brother in law and family but they are getting rid of their half-finished van.

However, there's the Bash to look forward to, the South West meet at Looe in September, a few weekends away on Dartmoor (the first being during February half term, hopefully) and some weekends away "down west" with our friends-who-have-a-caravan.
Alison

The traveller sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see. (G K Chesterton)
birtybongo

Post by birtybongo » Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:26 pm

Belgium in April for the Tour of Flanders, Scheldeprijs and Paris -Roubaix. France then Italy in July taking in part of the Tour De France, New Forest in September and hopefully many week-ends in between.

Other half a keen cyclist, I'm just a keen bongoer! :D
fatcatlawyer
Tribal Elder

Post by fatcatlawyer » Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:03 pm

3rd July early hours will see us on the chunnel, (thank you Mt. Tesco) to see the Tour in Bologne and then - perhaps to Mastrict to see Mr Rieu fiddling, and then somewhere else southerly to the better weather. Coming home sometime in the first week of August.

This assumes I dont find emplyment between now and then!

Ian G
dunslair
Supreme Being

Post by dunslair » Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:36 pm

I have a hankering to ' do Ireland' (as so many have done before), but that may just be the draw of the Guinness........ does anybody know if it closes in July? Should I take a chunky sweater and some galoshes or will my turned down wellies be sufficient?

I did Cornwall last summer....... which was nice :D (we left most of it where we found it, but some sand returned home with me in a crack)
dave_aber
Supreme Being

Post by dave_aber » Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:10 am

We did a mini-tour around the North last year, Belfast anti-clockwise round to Derry and eventually back to Belfast - with a wee detour into the South ( by going West). All highly recommended. Derry's a cracking city.

We also 'did' the Cork / Kinsale area (rented house, pre-Bongo days). Also 100% spot on.
Image...Image
There are 10 types of people in this world.
Those that understand binary, and those that don't.
MountainGoat
Supreme Being

Post by MountainGoat » Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:50 pm

I have a hankering to ' do Ireland'
Me too David as my dad's lot came from County Mayo originally and I have never been to Ireland. June went to Northern Ireland many years ago before we got together.

But after the bad weather that hit us in the Isle of Man in June last year she will not go unless we upgrade from the Bongo to a small motorhome. Bummer!

Got an old school friend living in Birkenhead who has a holiday home on the coast near Donegal Town.

Tony
Former SGL5 Owner Jeep Cherokee 2.5CRD Burstner Ixeo Time it585
umbongocat
Supreme Being

Post by umbongocat » Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:13 pm

dunslair wrote:I have a hankering to ' do Ireland' (as so many have done before), but that may just be the draw of the Guinness........ does anybody know if it closes in July? Should I take a chunky sweater and some galoshes or will my turned down wellies be sufficient?

I did Cornwall last summer....... which was nice :D (we left most of it where we found it, but some sand returned home with me in a crack)
Just come back from doing a trip around Ireland. It was great with plenty of free camping spots around Galway and Kerry. Apparently this year it was only 1 degree milder than it was in summer. It did rain a lot though, but again it can do that in summer too. Fab place and people were really friendly and the Guinness was lovely!
I love cheese!
dunslair
Supreme Being

Post by dunslair » Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:45 pm

MountainGoat wrote:
I have a hankering to ' do Ireland'
Me too David as my dad's lot came from County Mayo originally and I have never been to Ireland. June went to Northern Ireland many years ago before we got together.

But after the bad weather that hit us in the Isle of Man in June last year she will not go unless we upgrade from the Bongo to a small motorhome. Bummer!

Got an old school friend living in Birkenhead who has a holiday home on the coast near Donegal Town.

Tony
I think I May (o) have the perfect solution for you Tony, you may need to get a special bracket fitted to the Bongo Tow bar if you wan't to ditch the horse :wink: http://www.irishhorsedrawncaravans.com/
MountainGoat
Supreme Being

Post by MountainGoat » Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:41 pm

You know David there is an alternative use for all those old climbing pitons of mine that I said you could have to decorate the walls of your Climbing Shop. :-"

Tony
Former SGL5 Owner Jeep Cherokee 2.5CRD Burstner Ixeo Time it585
stefan442
Bongolier

Post by stefan442 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:46 pm

Arles and Aix are lovely places. There is a Van Gogh bridge just outside Arles, which I've been dying to go and see, but in Arles itself it is such a wonderful place.[/quote]

Arles and Rioja are the two places i chose, i wanted to see a bit of history.

Depending on how much money i get saved will depend on what we see and how long we will go for!
ChrisQ
Bongonaut

Post by ChrisQ » Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:40 am

Off to the furthest northern tip of the British Isles tomorrow !!
We're off to the Shetland Isles for the Up Helly Aa fire festival.
My Brother in law's contract on the island finishes in 2012 and he's back to the Scottish mainland to retire, so last chance of a lifetime for the visit
Actual ceremony is Monday 31st Jan.
Intend to take the Bongo to Unst ( most northerly island) and get it in a photo with Muckle Flugga in the background as proof before we depart back home on 3rd Feb

In the summer months, hopefully off to sunnier climes.Intending to venture as far south as Spain, but nothing firmed up yet.

Bongo Bash no 2 also scheduled, and the ICCCR Rally in July ( International Citroen Car Club Rally). We're the only Bongo officially registered.

This retirement lark is to be recommended

ChrisQ

Return to “Going Abroad”