Yet another newbie

sallyduthie

Yet another newbie

Post by sallyduthie » Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:35 pm

Hi All Bongo Buddies

I bought my 1995 Bongo at the end of last summer and have had a few great weekends away already. It's a black AFT 4wd and I love it.

Got plenty more trips planned for it this year but unfortunately on my way to the hills last weekend we had to turn back as it looks as if the radiator burst :( . The heating wouldn't work then there was steam bellowing out from under the bonnet.
I've ordered a new radiator and have watched the Youtube videos and am hoping to fix it with the help of my hubby.

I bought a Bongo rather than a VW as I was promised they are more reliable. Hopefully this will be easily sorted and I can enjoy many more happy Bongoing miles :D

Sally
sarahndaz

Re: Yet another newbie

Post by sarahndaz » Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:47 pm

hhheelloo and welcome sally you will find the guys on here great and very helpful ......we have a bongo with a head gasket gone at the moment but hopefully will be sorted very soon ,,,,,aint they the best motors

good luck with yours
sallyduthie

Post by sallyduthie » Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:57 pm

Thank you for the lovely welcome. I totally love my bongo and was devastated when it broke. Hopefully I'll get it fixed soon and be back on the road. I'm thinking maybe it was objecting to being taken out when it was -5 degrees!!!
MountainGoat
Supreme Being

Post by MountainGoat » Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:56 am

Looks more likely it had a blocked radiator Sally. Plenty of information on which radiators to buy and avoid on the forum, (search the archives).
While you are at it check the hoses and see if any of them need replaced. Best put in a new genuine Mazda stat while you are at it. There are a fact sheet in the members section on how to do most jobs on a Bongo and Chell's (Bewiched Blingo) three videos on how to bleed the cooling system on you tube. Like all vehicles Bongos are very reliable if regularly mentained. But they are 15 or more years old and rubber coolant hoses do not last forever and need replaced eventually. That said if you need new hoses get original rubber ones and use the existing Mazda clips not silicone ones which need expensive constant pressure clips to fit them on properly.

If you get sorted in time then we hope to see you in Glencoe in April.

Tony
Last edited by MountainGoat on Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Former SGL5 Owner Jeep Cherokee 2.5CRD Burstner Ixeo Time it585
Driver+Passengers
Supreme Being

Post by Driver+Passengers » Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:02 am

Welcome, Sal.

Sorry to hear about your van. Where abouts are you? (you can put your location in your profile by clicking on the User Control Panel in the top right).

Best of luck,
Matt.
Image Image
What she doesn't know won't hurt me.
sallyduthie

Post by sallyduthie » Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:37 am

Thanks for your advice Tony. I've had a quick look at the first video which is very good. I'll get some new hoses too. Already got the radiator and a stat so should hopefully get it fixed soon. I've read about coolant alarms. What do you think of them? Waste of money or worth getting? Am I as well just keeping an eye on the coolant levels?

I'll have a look to see when the Glencoe meet is coz I have some hillwalking weekends planned in april. Would be good to go though

Matt ive put my location on my profile now.

Thanks

Sally
The_Gordons
Bongolier

Post by The_Gordons » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:02 am

Welcome Sally. Hope you get your van sorted soon. I fitted a low coolant alarm to ours as soon as we got it even though our hoses all looked to be in good condition. Personally i'd rather spend the little amount on a low coolant alarm for peace of mind.

Paul
Bongo replaced by Wellhouse Terrier
Driver+Passengers
Supreme Being

Post by Driver+Passengers » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:28 am

sallyduthie wrote:I've read about coolant alarms. What do you think of them? Waste of money or worth getting? Am I as well just keeping an eye on the coolant levels?
You often can't see through the header tanks as they're quite discoloured, and you can't open the cap when the engine's hot. You definitely can't keep an eye on the level when you're going 60/70 on the open road. The danger is that a pin prick hole develops into something larger, or a joint gives way. If you dump your coolant when you're in motion, you want to know about it.

If you're having to fork out this time, consider it insurance against having to do it all again. They won't always save an engine, but they'll at least give you a fighting chance. ;) There will be LOTS of threads on here about them with many opinions - I doubt anyone would advise you against getting one.
Image Image
sallyduthie

Post by sallyduthie » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:41 am

I'm going to get an alarm thanks for the advice. Is the haydns one the right one to get?
sallyduthie

Post by sallyduthie » Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:20 pm

Tony I've looked up the bongo meetings and I can only see one for Edinburgh in July. What are the details of the Glencoe one please.
MountainGoat
Supreme Being

Post by MountainGoat » Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:08 pm

Bongopoet is arranging it with the campsite, see the thread above this one. Seems that she has not pinned the campsite down to an exact date yet but it will be at the end of April as the campsite is very crowded at Easter.

This was last year. I'm hoping to climb a Corbett or two if I don't get dragged off to the sea food restaurant like last time. I would join you on your climb but I have done all the Munros and am getting a bit slow these days.

Tony

Last edited by MountainGoat on Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Driver+Passengers
Supreme Being

Post by Driver+Passengers » Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:20 pm

sallyduthie wrote:Tony I've looked up the bongo meetings and I can only see one for Edinburgh in July. What are the details of the Glencoe one please.
viewtopic.php?f=24&t=51571
Image Image
MountainGoat
Supreme Being

Post by MountainGoat » Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:27 pm

The Edinburgh meet is a club meet which only paid up members can attend. The Glencoe meet is a local meet meet which any member of the forum can attend, members of the Bongo club or not.

Tony

Return to “Scotland”